The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Leafs sign Kessel to 8 year contract, $8m AAV w/ $23.5m signing bonus

Phil IS A ONE DIMENSIONAL PLAYER. He just scores goals, that's great. A lot of players do that. But this team just sacrificed any chance of a future over the next 2 years unless the cap raises by $7 million a year, per year. Just to sign Phil Kessel to what in 5 years might seem like a semi bargain of a deal IF he can keep his point totals up.

Nobody is arguing that he's a one dimensional player. And to the very few on here that have suggested that $8M is an appropriate amount, they obviously need to give their head a shake, so don't waste your time trying to prove otherwise. The fact of the matter is, the Leafs did need to re-sign Kessel as he is the only pure sniper on that team. Would it be great if he were like Stamkos or Ovechkin? Absolutely. But few players are as versatile as the elite players. And yes, he probably shouldn't have been re-signed to that amount. But for a team that has to overpay to get players to come to Toronto to begin with, how long would they had to wait to get a pure goal scorer again? Just be thankful that they are not your favourite team.

Nobody is arguing that he's a one dimensional player. And to the very few on here that have suggested that $8M is an appropriate amount, they obviously need to give their head a shake, so don't waste your time trying to prove otherwise. The fact of the matter is, the Leafs did need to re-sign Kessel as he is the only pure sniper on that team. Would it be great if he were like Stamkos or Ovechkin? Absolutely. But few players are as versatile as the elite players. And yes, he probably shouldn't have been re-signed to that amount. But for a team that has to overpay to get players to come to Toronto to begin with, how long would they had to wait to get a pure goal scorer again? Just be thankful that they are not your favourite team.

I am in agreement, but the people trying to justify this and calling him a game changer are out of their minds. This is a terrible contract which the Leafs will regret.

On a side note, think the Canucks will have the money to try and sign Franson to an offer sheet next year and or sign Bolland as our 3rd line C?

We know the Leafs don't :bigblush:

This is the argument being made all over the place regarding this contract:

It's easy to look Evgeni Malkin and assume that he's making more than Crosby with his $9.5M hit to Crosby's $8.7M, but that's just an effect of the collective agreement. Crosby's cap hit would be worth $10.8M if he were cut off at eight years. Be wary of comparing salary cap hits from contracts signed post-January 2013 with those signed between August 2005 and September 2012.

And imho it's awfully presumptuous to say that Crosby's cap hit would automatically go up to that in the current CBA. imho He's taking a discount for the team because that's the way his is. His cap hit would like remain the same at 8 years.

But regardless, comparing Crosby and/or Malkin to Kessel in any way is extremely laughable. These guys aren't comparables, except to the delusional TO mind that labels Kessel an elite superstar. Just because you pay him as such, it doesn't make it so.

Anyway, this contract shouldn't be a surprise to anyone who is aware of Nonis' history with writing up contracts. He isn't afraid of overpaying his top guys while filling up the rest of the lineup with plugs to make up for it. That being said, TO isn't totally screwed just yet.

In 2006 there were a few Blackhawks executives that were actually pushing to draft Kessel oert Toews. Am I ever glad that didn't happen. Kessel can put points on board, but he'll never lead the Leafs to a Cup.

This is the guy selected last by his peers for the All-Star game. As War Hippy said the Laffers just finished themselves. :)

Good luck if kids like Kadri & Rielly fulfill their promise. They say Kessel is some "likeable, team-first, kinda' guy", at least, Nonis did in that lame presser.

Was dying to hear some reporter blurt out,"Hey Phil, why you so FIDGETY when you talk to us?!" Poor guy can't settle down to a question for 2 seconds. Doesn't exactly exude positive, unbeatable TML-vibes, does he?

Anyways young players(now, in the COTU) say the polite things, but how will they feel when it's contract time, & the "team guy" has scarfed all the sweet desserts?

At that money, they should have just traded him for a couple first round picks! Out of all the elite all star players in the league, he registers at the *bottom* of that pack. Wasn't he picked last in the all star game?

Now compare Kessel's stats to Burrows at roughly half the cap hit. That +/- column sticks out like a sore thumb for Kessel.

Edit

Not sure whether to feel sorry for the fans, or chuckle as they continue their so called rebuild. The leafs needed a special clause in the new CBA allowing infinite compliance buyouts.

Kessel is miles and miles beyond Burrows offensively, and he's been playing with plugs while Burr has been playing with the twins. Like it or not, Kessel is an elite offensive player in this league and for a fan base that screams about the need for pure snipers, you sure are quick to run players down who have proven they are elite snipers.

It's a lot of dough, biut Nonis has shown he is very good at managing the cap.......he has a plan and they'll be fine

I am in agreement, but the people trying to justify this and calling him a game changer are out of their minds. This is a terrible contract which the Leafs will regret.

On a side note, think the Canucks will have the money to try and sign Franson to an offer sheet next year and or sign Bolland as our 3rd line C?

We know the Leafs don't :bigblush:

Well, he has the added bonus of potentially changing the game for either team, so does that count?

Kessel still have no center to play Kadri and Bozak are unlikely to fit that role

Yea he plays with average centermen and still produces at a point a game pace unlike Rick Nash (comparable contract) who needs a stud centerman to produce more than 60 points

Guest Dasein

A lot of Leaf fans are happy about this deal and think Kessel left money on the table to stay.

I'm inclined to think the same. This league has gone crazy. Kessel would have gotten more than $8.0 million on the FA market - all it takes is on crazy GM to throw a ridiculous deal his way.

However, I think every player wants to win. Kessel would have had to take less than what he got in Toronto if he was to go to a contender via free agency. Toronto is not quite a contender which means they have to shell out more to entice Kessel to stay - because Kessel is the key piece they need to contend.

And?

The difference between the comparable contracts is personal awards, point totals and cup wins. None of which Phil has nor will Phil ever earn.

I am sorry if this upsets you guys so much but it is to long of a contract to high of a cap hit and here is why

http://www.capgeek.com/mapleleafs

Oh, I just linked to that article 'cause you refused to read anything out of Toronto (which is fair). Obviously it's your choice if you want to read it,. but it's a really balanced overview of the situation the team was in pre-signing, written by a local Vancouver blogger. And actually, I'm not the biggest fan of Cam Charron, of all the Canucks Army writers he's probably the one I disagree with the most, but that's one of his better writing samples.

Anyways, I do think it's an overpayment by about $1mill/per, but it's not the backbreaker contract that's going to kill the Leafs in a few years - that contract was already signed earlier this summer. As I said before, 'gamechanger' is subjective. I would say he's not one with a capital 'G', but he does have the ability to take over some games and be the difference in a win, so I'll call him a gamechanger with a lowercase 'g'.

Archived