The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Leafs sign Kessel to 8 year contract, $8m AAV w/ $23.5m signing bonus

Well, he has the added bonus of potentially changing the game for either team, so does that count?

Ok ok I will give you that he can be a game changer, and we know he can chop down players with impunity and no real discipline from the league so it's something

Oh, I just linked to that article 'cause you refused to read anything out of Toronto (which is fair). Obviously it's your choice if you want to read it,. but it's a really balanced overview of the situation the team was in pre-signing, written by a local Vancouver blogger. And actually, I'm not the biggest fan of Cam Charron, of all the Canucks Army writers he's probably the one I disagree with the most, but that's one of his better writing samples.

Anyways, I do think it's an overpayment by about $1mill/per, but it's not the backbreaker contract that's going to kill the Leafs in a few years - that contract was already signed earlier this summer. As I said before, 'gamechanger' is subjective. I would say he's not one with a capital 'G', but he does have the ability to take over some games and be the difference in a win, so I'll call him a gamechanger with a lowercase 'g'.

I will agree, that might not be the back breaking contract for the Leafs.

But extending Phanuef to the same cap hit will be as you cannot ask Phanuef to take less money now knowing what kessel just got. Which leaves their entire D Corp up for grabs next season as well as highly touted trade Bolland and then Franson, and of course Kadri in 2 seasons time as well.

And god help the leafs in 3 seasons if Reilly pans into the defenceman he's supposed to.

The snowball to cap death is rolling for the Leafs

As per the headline ($23.5 mill) can someone help qualify / quantify why this is a signing bonus? According to cap geek the bonus is spread through numerous years. For example, year one $10 mill total salary of which $4.5 is bonus. Year 8, $6 mill of salary is bonus. I suppose that just means he starts each of those years with a fat bonus which he foregoes if he retires a few games into a season... But it seems odd to call it a signing bonus, if some of the "signing" bonus is not paid till year 8. :blink:

Also why those sort of terms are attractive / necessary for the team or player... Or is it the only way in the CBA to substantially load the front end of the deal?

Holy payday, Batman. Kessel must REALLY not want to be a Leaf if that's what takes him to stay.

Update: On mobile, but deal is done. I'll update with exact terms when they're made official

Update2: Updated title with terms of the deal. My phone doesn't like copying tweets so I can't post 'em.

Actually; it reminds me of the Lou signing > $62 mill is remarkably similar as well...

The funniest part might just be the fact that once again Kessel has a limited NTC.

I mean, is that really necessary?

The chances of anyone wanting to take that contract off their hands and actually give up an asset is pretty limited alright- limited to no one in their right mind.

The funniest part might just be the fact that once again Kessel has a limited NTC.

I mean, is that really necessary?

The chances of anyone wanting to take that contract off their hands and actually give up an asset is pretty limited alright- limited to no one in their right mind.

lol, so limited to NY then.

I gotta say:

These were the idiots making fun of the Luongo contract.

627.jpg?3933

That's just dumb.

Suck it Leafs.

True. Luongo is far more worth his crappy contract than that bag of wood chips Kessel will ever be. At least Luongo has never tried to cut anyone's legs out from under them.

Archived