The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] NYI Matt Moulson + Picks for BUF Thomas Vanek

Strombone1

Just like how we've only beaten one playoff team?

Get your facts right buddy.

He's a Maple Leaf fan who continues to troll these boards masquerading as a Canuck fan.

I'm not sure why since any poster here is allowed to be a T.O. or any other team's fan.

I decided he isn't a Vcr fan, as his name suggests, but he's a Video Cassette Recorder fan. He prefers analog medium, apparently.

My prediction is that CDC finds a way to make this trade about Hodgson:

CODY HATERS: "Hodgson obviously refused to play if they kept Vanek. His dad is good friends with Moulson's dad and they wanted to play together or else. I also heard Winters decided that Hodgson should just play the whole game himself if they want to win."

CODY LOVERS: "Buffalo obviously feels like with the greatest thing since sliced bread in Hodgson signed long term they don't need a coattail hanger on like Vanek draggin his +/- down. Good riddance so Cody can really shine all on his own and show why he will be the best player in the NHL soon."

Anyone care to list Buff's collection of top picks(last few yrs,+ upcoming period)? Lordy, looks as if they're stockpiling prospects like Flor/Ott/Minn. Five years on, these four franchises(assuming they're all willing to spend/keep talent), MUST be contenders.

2012: Grigorenko, Girgensons, McCabe

2013: Ristolainen, Zadorov, Compher, Bailey, Hurley, Larsson, Baptiste, Possler, Hackett

Hodgson, Ennis, Foligno, Armia, Pysyk, Myers, McNabb, etc are also players 23 and under that are in the system.

2014 NHL Draft: 2 first round picks, 3 second round picks

2015 NHL Draft: 1 first round pick, 3 second round picks

Buffalo is building a VERY VERY nice group of prospects and picks. If they don't think they'll be able to re-sign Matt they'll move him on trade deadline for another pick (possibly another first) or a nice prospect to a quality team looking to make a playoff run.

Potentially two 1st's and a 2nd round pick for Vanek who was VERY unlikely to re-sign at seasons end.

And the Sabres are NOT developing any of them properly. Something can be said for getting a few first overalls. We see Edmonton struggling but sooner or later they will get it sorted out.

Buffalo has a raft of 6th to 14th overall picks in various stages of their motley development. You need a sound structure to develop players.

Sabres have decided to basically trade anyone worth anything for 2nd rounders and 10th to 20th first rounders leaving nobody to develop what talent they have.

I say they are going to get burned.

Vanek has far more innate talent for the net than Moulson. My guess is with him next to Tavares they hope to create a top scoring line in the NHL that can carry their team deep in the playoffs.

Plus 1st and 2nd seems like a high overpayment, but Snow has done a good job patiently developing his team perhaps he sees something in his team and Vanek that we don't.

I don't say "it'll be interesting to see" very often but in this case I will say it and see how the Isles turn out.

The NYI does have a legit chance in making the playoffs this year. Their younger players do need playoff experience to develop. While the price is high for Vanek, the organization have nowhere to go but up, at least in the next 5 years.

Them moving closer to the core of NY will be a huge selling point as well.

NYI is probably banking on Vanek to stay in NYI because of Grabner - another Austrian.

Risky move.

What?!? That's a ridiculous statement if you took a moment to think about it.

Vanek isn't making a multi-million dollar career decision based off of the nationality of one of his teammates and the Isles wouldn't be expecting him to.

They are going to convince him that he will have a great chance to win, live in a great city, and be extremely well compensated to do so.

Archived