The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Canucks Vs Sharks [Canucks LOSS]

TheMohammadman

Pay me what Gillis makes and I'll share my ideas. :bigblush:

It's been a recognized weakness of this team for three years that they lack secondary scoring and if you can shut down the Sedins, the Nucks can't score. I'm suggesting that HIggy, Burr, Santo etc are being asked to contribute at a level that is beyond their skill. If you don't agree, fine. It matters not to me. Many Nuck fans have a tendency to overrate their players.

After three years, fans are within their rights to call out Gillis on why he hasn't moved some assets to fill that need. This team looks to have the same issues it has had in the past and the GM has not been able to get the job done. Other GMs have. Winnipeg didn't seem to hesitate to get Bobby Ryan when ALfie left. Boston landed Iginla ...Loads of examples of trades and FA signings by other teams to fill their roster with talent. Chicago just landed Versteeg (as if they don't have enough talent already). MG lands Dalpe and Welsh.

Santorelli and Higgins are good 3rd liners with the ability to fill in on the second for short periods but not really 2nd line goal scorers. Burrows has struggled to generate offense unless he plays with Hank. Kesler is a banger with a shot but can't beat anyone in the league one-on-one.

The lack of a bonified offensive talent is holding back this team.

And I don't have to be a GM to have an opinion and neither do you.

Prior to their signing, Gillis had the choice (1) to sign the twins and take the 14M cap hit or let them walk come FA time. What would you have done if you were in his shoes? (2) let them walk for nothing but have the 14M to spend on the likes of Iginla, Ryan, Alfreddson, etc, etc ,etc.

The question is, are the twins a luxury we cannot afford; together they are a very big cap hit and they are at their best when they play together. Do you tank the 100+ points they consistently bring to the table each year or go fishing for two players that cannot guarantee you their (twins) point production on a consistent basis. There is certainly no doubt in my mind Gillis could have attracted a blue chipper with the money he signed the twins for but then does he make the team any better without Hank and Danny? Does he impress the fan base by letting the twins go? Who does he satisfy by doing one thing or the other? He is damned for what ever he does, isn't he?

Everyone here makes it sound like being a GM is the easiest thing going and everyone has the answers, especially within the seclusion of the internet; there is no reprisal or anyone to be held accountable to is there?

As I said earlier, it is extremely easy to sit back and be critical with your opinions or suggestions especially when no one here has ever walked in the shoes of a GM.

Opinions can certainly be opinions (everyone is certainly entitled to have an opinion one way or the other) however if those same people are not privy to the complicated issues a GM faces, are their opinions reasonable, do they make common sense or are they just a bunch of off the cuff hocus pokes remarks?

In addition, at Gillis' salary, I would be most suspect of the value or credibility your input might have with respect to making the team better but then again, I believe you and I are on an even keel in that regard. To be honest, I hate it when the Canucks lose as well but when they do I don't start chanting we should sell out the farm or make drastic change.

And finally, would we really be having this conversation if the Canucks had won the game last night? I think not, so why do these debates always happen when the Nucks lose a hockey game. I contend it is knee jerk reaction at best.

We played well and lost. People have to get over it... like KB3 said... it sucks.

Long season and at least we proved we are a better team than the sharks these last two games.

Some points

Edler hitting hard and playing aggressive, love it.

Lui was phenomenal but he really needs to work on that lateral movement... that's the ONLY part of Cory's game which is better than Luis and I really hope rolly works on it with him... I think he had committed on the initial shot. We have seen him move lateral better than any in the business before. (Ex. Sharp in game seven OT)

Sestito needs more ice time

Reunite AMEX. Higgy kes booth.

Shorten twins shifts.. ESPECIALLY LATE IN THE GAME. can't believe they stayed on the ice in that OT penalty call.

Use sestito as a screen on the PP. Give the second unit fair share of PP time ffs.

You're sh**ing me right?? The people on the PP also have to be good at passing the puck so they can gain entry, and I don't think we'd want Sestito for that.

You're sh**ing me right?? The people on the PP also have to be good at passing the puck so they can gain entry, and I don't think we'd want Sestito for that.

Hey we're sitting under %10 if im not mistaking. Sestito isn't ideal but at least he doesn't bail from the front of the net.

He actually can pas decently well. Why not give it a try?

My proposal

Daniel, Hank, Sestito

juice Garrison

(sestito and dan rotate screen the goalie - Dan and hank for cross ice passes and quick shots with the option of garrison loading the slappers or bieksa pinching and keeping the play alive. Sestito can be altered but I've seen kassian move out of the way of garrisons shot which is USELESS.

Burr kesler kassian (AT ALL TIME ONE OF THE NEEDS TO SCREEN)

Edler, Santo

Edler has the bomb or snapshot... Santo n kes can alter on the points both with top shelf snipe ability. Kassian is the big body presence and I think burr can screen the goalie as good as anyone

We can't blame the refs (although it would be great to see Burrows get a call once in awhile) and we can't blame Luongo for this loss.

With losses to Anahiem and a thrashing by LA, followed by another loss to SJ, it is becoming painfully obvious that the lines are missing something. Our defense is solid, our goaltending is solid but regardless of talent, the forwards are not getting the job done.

Booth hasn't really showed that he has his game back yet and probably deserves more time but by shedding his cap, it would allow MG some latitude to go after a bonafide goal scorer. It is early in the season so not time to panick but it might be time to put Booth with the Sedins and run his point totals up to increase his trade value.

3 goals in 3 games.. WTF

For the most part, the Canucks played another good game and should have beaten the Sharks in this one.

What's becoming apparent is the lack of finish. We are getting a lot of shots but not many great scoring chances and not scoring on the ones we get. This years old problem needs to be addressed soon otherwise we are likely to miss the playoffs this year.

Can't win if you can't score, simple as that.

In all other aspects, the Canucks look pretty solid.

Prior to their signing, Gillis had the choice (1) to sign the twins and take the 14M cap hit or let them walk come FA time. What would you have done if you were in his shoes? (2) let them walk for nothing but have the 14M to spend on the likes of Iginla, Ryan, Alfreddson, etc, etc ,etc.

The question is, are the twins a luxury we cannot afford; together they are a very big cap hit and they are at their best when they play together. Do you tank the 100+ points they consistently bring to the table each year or go fishing for two players that cannot guarantee you their (twins) point production on a consistent basis. There is certainly no doubt in my mind Gillis could have attracted a blue chipper with the money he signed the twins for but then does he make the team any better without Hank and Danny? Does he impress the fan base by letting the twins go? Who does he satisfy by doing one thing or the other? He is damned for what ever he does, isn't he?

Everyone here makes it sound like being a GM is the easiest thing going and everyone has the answers, especially within the seclusion of the internet; there is no reprisal or anyone to be held accountable to is there?

As I said earlier, it is extremely easy to sit back and be critical with your opinions or suggestions especially when no one here has ever walked in the shoes of a GM.

Opinions can certainly be opinions (everyone is certainly entitled to have an opinion one way or the other) however if those same people are not privy to the complicated issues a GM faces, are their opinions reasonable, do they make common sense or are they just a bunch of off the cuff hocus pokes remarks?

In addition, at Gillis' salary, I would be most suspect of the value or credibility your input might have with respect to making the team better but then again, I believe you and I are on an even keel in that regard. To be honest, I hate it when the Canucks lose as well but when they do I don't start chanting we should sell out the farm or make drastic change.

And finally, would we really be having this conversation if the Canucks had won the game last night? I think not, so why do these debates always happen when the Nucks lose a hockey game. I contend it is knee jerk reaction at best.

The Sedins was a tough one. The choice was, bring in some quality young stars and do a mini re-build or commit to this core for another 4 years and hope you can get some of the supporting cast to compete beyond their pay grade. So far, their lack of production has not indicated the latter scenario will play out. Danny's numbers are really no better than any number of players would be if they played with Hank on a regular basis. HIs contract at $7M has him over-paid for what he brings but I understand it was likely a deal=breaker to get Hank that Danny get the same deal. Still not sure how this will pan out as it once again, ties the hands of the organization going forward.

My concerns aren't over 1 game. I thought the team played hard and executed very well last night. I am frustrated that they are not being rewarded on the score board because they simply lack that level of offensive talent that finds a way to capitalize on chances.

I understand very well how difficult it is in a cap league to make moves and sign talent. MG has done a good job of signing at below market value -though this has come at the price of tying his hands in moving players with so many NTC's handed out making it difficult to bring in young talent and move out "core" ones.

None of us know what MG has tried to do but we do know that he has acknowledged the need of more scoring power for three years and has not addressed it. Instead he has been stocking up on mid-level talent and projects in the hope he can find a diamond in the rough. Despite Santo exceeding any possible expectations, MG has still not addressed the glaring need for more talent in the top 6.

I have acknowledged that being a GM in a cap league is difficult but overcoming the challenges is what GIllis is paid for. Otherwise, they could hire the janitor to do the job, or even you or I! Murray was certainly in a position of weakness with Alfie left but managed to attract Ryan. Boston landed Iginla without giving up it's stars, Dallas was able to land Seguin. etc, etc. Top scoring talent has been moved, just none of it here.

AS for qualifications to post here and critique the GM...this is an on-line chat forum. Some posters know very little, some likely know a great deal with most falling in the middle. If you wish qualifications to be a determining factor as to who posts, you will soon tire of reading blank pages as I doubt any current or former GMs post here.

Enjoy the variety of opinions for entertainment value if nothing else.

Wasn't a bs call. Henrik got the stick around him for a few strides. Effected his shot guys, come on

That happens 10 times a game and, in OT, they call it? Hank rarely speaks out and even he questioned it in his post game interview... Touched him with his stick more so that got it around him. Nope, round two for us Tom. :)

That happens 10 times a game and, in OT, they call it? Hank rarely speaks out and even he questioned it in his post game interview... Touched him with his stick more so that got it around him. Nope, round two for us Tom. :)

Also the angle they showed on sportsnet made it seem more like a penalty. Hank said it him self... he tapped him and he lost control of the Puck. The angle on TV made it look bad.

It was a questionable call. They should have won in regulation though.

The Sedins was a tough one. The choice was, bring in some quality young stars and do a mini re-build or commit to this core for another 4 years and hope you can get some of the supporting cast to compete beyond their pay grade. So far, their lack of production has not indicated the latter scenario will play out. Danny's numbers are really no better than any number of players would be if they played with Hank on a regular basis. HIs contract at $7M has him over-paid for what he brings but I understand it was likely a deal=breaker to get Hank that Danny get the same deal. Still not sure how this will pan out as it once again, ties the hands of the organization going forward.

What happened to splitting up the Sedins. You are right that the Canucks are not getting great value for Daniel. I think Henrik definitely makes players around him better and carry a line by himself

Daniel however is an all around great player and I can see him doing well as a set up man on 2nd line if we were to give him at least another star player to play with.

Hey we're sitting under %10 if im not mistaking. Sestito isn't ideal but at least he doesn't bail from the front of the net.

He actually can pas decently well. Why not give it a try?

My proposal

Daniel, Hank, Sestito

juice Garrison

(sestito and dan rotate screen the goalie - Dan and hank for cross ice passes and quick shots with the option of garrison loading the slappers or bieksa pinching and keeping the play alive. Sestito can be altered but I've seen kassian move out of the way of garrisons shot which is USELESS.

Burr kesler kassian (AT ALL TIME ONE OF THE NEEDS TO SCREEN)

Edler, Santo

Edler has the bomb or snapshot... Santo n kes can alter on the points both with top shelf snipe ability. Kassian is the big body presence and I think burr can screen the goalie as good as anyone

People will call you crazy but I agree with you. Byfuglin was barely more than a passable scrapping defenceman before Chicago decided to tell him to stand in front of the goalie. Not a fast skater, not terrific hands, just a huge body and a willingness to put it into trouble spots. Sestito can be that same guy; team guy too.

Tie Domi was another team guy who got stuck in the knuckleduster role; but he actually had decent hands and put up some points when given a chance to do it. Obviously not the same talent as a Sundin. Or Sestito and a Sedin. But good enough to bag some goals when it counts.

Umm thats all they do is "PASSS" on our PP...and thats not working....shooting was working then we are back at passing...sigh

There were as many positives as negatives to the game last night, but the overall outlook is the Canucks have to start winning. I think they need 10 of the 12 potential points on his homestand to keep pace, and they've already dropped 1, and in the process given 2 (points) to a team they're chasing in 1 of only 2 divisional games during the stand.

The Canucks are already on the outside looking in, and when you consider that the teams infront of them have anywhere from 2 to 4 games in hand they need to keep control of their own destiny.

What happened to splitting up the Sedins. You are right that the Canucks are not getting great value for Daniel. I think Henrik definitely makes players around him better and carry a line by himself

Daniel however is an all around great player and I can see him doing well as a set up man on 2nd line if we were to give him at least another star player to play with.

Been waiting for this the last four games. Something like......Higgy-Hank-Burr....#2: Daniel-Santo-Kes ......Soon Hansen & Weise return, making the bottom 2 lines stronger. They've gotta consider spltting them.

People saying Canuck's looked pathetic? The Sharks looked pathetic and just got a lucky bounce at the end to tie it up and then with 4 on 4 they had all the momentum and were able to win it on a Powerplay, where Sedin clearly hooked the guy and prevented him from even shooting. I don't know why people are complaining about that.

Every time you see that play with a scoring chance its called 9/10.

spelling, eating pizza sue me.

I thought the call was pretty weak, but I have seen it made many times over the past few years. It's probably the timing of it that bothers me the most.

That being said, the Canucks have only themselves to blame for being in that position. They pretty much dominated the Sharks and weren't able to put them away in regulation. There were plenty of chances that went begging and once again, Burrows was front and center. I have to cut him some slack, because it's tough to come back after injury, but the Canucks need him sooner, rather than later.

It's still early, but the Canucks are currently on the outside looking in and cannot afford 3 point swings against the teams ahead of them.

Archived