The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Is it Hammer time in Sochi?

Herberts Vasiljevs

I absolutely do not get why Vlasic's name even comes up and Brent Seabrook's name doesn't! Seabrook and Keith should be a pairing. Why is Seabrook being left off after playing in 2010?

Sea Biscuit wasn't very good in 2010, he looked slow and behind the play, he only ended up playing around 5 minutes in the gold medal game. 2 shifts in the 3rd and no shifts in OT.

If Hamhuis were American, he'd have a much better chance of making their team, even if Poile is their GM.

Look at Yzerman's last squad. It's superstar-loaded. The goal of Team Canada is basically to outscore everyone else. From that point of view, there are other left-handed LDs who can play better offense than Hamhuis.

Ignore local articles about players. It's like San Jose articles saying Justin Braun should be on Team USA. If Hamhuis starts showing up in other newspapers outside Vancouver, then there's potential.

Hamhuis Weber

Keith Seabrook

Bouwmeester Pietrangelo

Campbell Subban

The one guy who doesn't get much mention as a candidate for that third pairing is Campbell, and I think he's a bit of a forgotten talent in Florida. I think he's a better defensive presence than he generally gets credit for - blocks his share of shots and has speed to kill the opposition's rush - and with those wheels and his elite puck moving, he could be a nice option beside Pietrangelo on the third pairing on huge ice.

Bouwmeester is the more obvious choice pairing with him nightly, but Campbell would be my dark horse, and it's always fun to throw one in. (Not gonna happen, but that 8th spot imo has a lot of guys that aren't that convincing.

Doughty is a severely over-rated whiner. He would not be on my roster.

Phaneuf is a no-brainer to stay home.

Bouwmeester - not convinced he's the player people seem to think he is, but probably

Garrison would be on my roster before either of those two but he's with Campbell - underseen.

Boyle - doesn't seem to be the player he was.

Vlasic will have to wait - and earn it.

Letang...the other dark horse on big ice (but odd rightie out imo).

If Seabrook makes the team:

Keith - Seabrook

Hamhuis - Weber

Doughty - Pietrangelo

Bouwmeester, Subban

Doughty's too good to not be in the top six, so I would pair the defencemen who have/had chemistry together and put the offensive minded Doughty with the defensive minded Pietrangelo. Could work out beautifully.

i dont think he will make it... unless they REALLY want to leave off superstar talent for actual LD... otherwise i can easily name 6 guys better than hamhuis.

doughty, keith, pietrangelo, weber, subban, letang...

and i'd even say campbell and seabrook.

not hating on hamhuis, he just doesnt have the talent level to make team canada IMO

With a name like Subban waiting to be picked I don't know why Vlasic is even mentioned.

I would have said the same a few months ago, but after watching Vlasic more, he is just a tiny tier below Hamhuis in terms of play....

Arguably the most underrated and underappreciated dman in the league.

I'd take:

5-3

RD: Weber, Doughty, Seabrook, Subban, Pietrangelo

LD: Keith, Bouwmeester, Hamhuis

As much as 4-4 would be great you just can't ignore the calibre of RHD but Babcock seems like he'd want a even number lefties and righties. If it's 4 and 4, Vlasic and Hamhuis will both make it.

My fingers are crossed are for Hamhuis!

Archived