The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What's going on with David Booth?

Everybody Hates Raymond

Read Deb's post ( claiming that Torts will sit players who dont produce ) then read my post ( throwing names out of players THIS SEASON ) of players on our team who havent produced at times yet have been given every opportunity to play out of it. If you want to argue what players have done over there career, then you are in a different argument from what I was talking to Deb about. And from what we've seen Torts from the past ( Brad Richards, Gaborik ) he doesnt care what you've done in the past.

If you do want to talk about career stats, Booth was a consistent 20+ goal scorer in Florida and was on pace to score 20+ when he was first traded to Vancouver. If you want him to score 20 goals again then you need to give him ice time and chances on the PP and not stuff him on the 3rd line with no linemates. Higgens hasnt scored 20+ since 07/08 yet he has been given plenty of ice time on the 2nd line and PP.

Pretty much this. I want to hear from Torts, the EXACT reasons why Booth is in the dog house. He's not scoring? Our leading goal scorer, Ryan Kesler, only has 17 goals.

Daniel Sedin has 13 goals, I'm sorry but Daniel Sedin is suppose to be our top GOAL SCORER, yea assists are nice but they don't win the games, goals do.

David Booth is 32GP 5G 5A 10P +4

Zack Kassian is 40GP 8G 3A 11P

Yes I know one of them makes just under 1M and one backs 4.25M but come on, Booth is producing at .31 P/G which is WAY up from his .01 P/G. Personally I feel like he was playing well with Kass and Richardson and with the team in shambles due to injury we need every body we can get. Sestito on the PP and 2nd line? Why not put Booth there? Give him a chance to use his size AND ABILITY TO SCORE.

He's not scoring like a 4.25M dollar player because he's not being used as one.

I'm not going Scooby-Doo here, but it doesn't take much to understand Booth has had 2 concussions in a span of 5 months when he played for Florida. He might very well have lingering problems focusing on the mental side of hockey, or worse puts him in a state of depression which makes it very hard to concentrate and compete in top tier hockey.

It's quite possible those concussions have pretty much de-railed his career as an NHL'er.

I don't believe any of the nonsense that people have posted in this thread. Booth was pretty bad coming back from injury but he was playing much better of late. He's currently a +4 and was playing better than many of the players out there now. His absence is noticed the lines are all jumbled up now and its a contributing factor to why the canucks have been losing games of late. To say he is a healthy scratch is just freaking nonsense.

"Hell hath no fury like the wrath of a Tortorella scorned."

if the theory of torts sits players that dont produce is true, would he not have sat burrows after not producing over a decent stretch in the top 6? he never did though?

just sayin

Burrows is probably the Canucks most versatile, 2 way player. When is not scoring, he still has an impact on the game.

Booth does not.

Just sayin'

This has been the opposite of what we've seen from Torts..... Kesler was terrible in the first 5, 6 games and instead of benching or sitting him, he was promoted to the first line. When the Sedins get snakebitten, he lets them play out of it . Higgens can be our most useless player out there ( lazy, non productive ) and he gets nothing but praises from Torts and plenty of ice time. Booth, who is playing on the 3rd line with little offensive support gets zero leeway.

Our powerplay has been horrible this year yet ive seen very little of Booth out there even when he was playing good.

Torts is no different than any other coach, he has his favourites and there are those who will be in the doghouse

- Kesler is our best 2 way player. You dont sit a guy like that for not scoring for 5 games.

-The Sedins drive the offence in all situations

-Higgins has been one of our most consistent players this whole season.

Booth is one dimensional, and even when given opportunity to play with better linemates fails to have any impact. If he is not putting up points, he is in all seriousness, useless. He is a defensive liability. If he was a good physical 2 way player like Hansen or Burrows, I could see him having an impact here, but he isnt, and never will be.

(bullet)Tortorella said Canuck winger David Booth, a lineup scratch the last two games after registering zero shots against the Kings and Ducks, is “banged up” and was excused from Saturday's skills competition at Rogers Arena. Booth looked fine at practice on Sunday.

© Copyright © The Vancouver Sun

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Canucks+shot+Jason+Garrison+play+role/9378467/story.html#ixzz2qGQJMdcc

I Read the thread before posting, this has kind of been answered.

He has been given a shot to earn his way back into the lineup. He simply hasn't earned his way back in.

I think David Booth is a guy who had a banner year (31g 29a 60p) and signed a contract based on that year with a team that makes poor decisions. This is the same team that over signed Ballard BTW. He has never reproduced those numbers, and never will short of being gifted a first line spot.

We got him hoping that he would regain his form, but it was a mistake on our part. He is a 1-2m utility player.

I disagree. He may not have ever scored 30 again, but was a very good player who just had too many injuries.

He looked like he was overcoming the concussion issues, but that Porter knee may have forever crippled him.

Reminds me a lot of what happened to Cheechoo. He gets called a "one season wonder" by ignorant fans. But in truth he was still a good top-6 player even before Thornton; but not after his knees didn't work anymore.

I disagree. He may not have ever scored 30 again, but was a very good player who just had too many injuries.

He looked like he was overcoming the concussion issues, but that Porter knee may have forever crippled him.

Reminds me a lot of what happened to Cheechoo. He gets called a "one season wonder" by ignorant fans. But in truth he was still a good top-6 player even before Thornton; but not after his knees didn't work anymore.

If that knee took a toll that bad, then he has to find a different way to play. Or get out of the game. (I am not totally heartless here, easier said than done, and there are some 9 million dollars on the line over 2 years)

But from a team perspective it is very true. He needs to produce, and if that can't be offensively, then it has to be defensively, and consistently.

I still can't believe people are still sticking up for this guy. What possible excuse do you guys have left? He's more of a Feburary kind of scorer? Rogers Arena is facing the wrong way? Jesus doesn't like playing the leftwing lock?

GET RID OF HIM. At this point having him around is just going to hurt team morale, I bet Bieksa and Kesler hate this guy.

Archived