The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Jets Fire Claude Noel

Strombone1

Is my memory bad?

Seems to me Noel was coaching the Moose and had a lot of success developing guys for us. Even running the same system as AV so guys were fully tuned up in callups... Edler, Hamhuis, Bieksa etc all missed like 20 games and whomever (notably Tanev) we brought up just did fine...

for the players that Av was coaching in the end....HE was their first coach in Winnipeg. After that I believe it was Scott Arniel who coached the rest of the way until Claude coached one last season before the Jets returned. We plucked Hamhuis as a UFA from Gashville.

Haven't watched too many Jets games this year, but I would guess that it is hardly his fault. Cheveldayoff built the team. Or at least, is trying to.

Scapegoat Jets fans?

It's my understanding from watching the Jets situation that Noel had clearly been mismanaging his players on the ice. Management has not built a strong team but there are some good pieces and some up and coming players as well.

Burmistrov was a prime example of a player being mismanaged, there is no excuse for letting a player like that walk .

Haven't watched too many Jets games this year, but I would guess that it is hardly his fault. Cheveldayoff built the team. Or at least, is trying to.

Scapegoat Jets fans?

I am far from an insider, but here is my take...

Noel was getting credible performances from players like Little, Wheeler, Ladd. These guys are honest hockey players, but hardly NHL superstars. Enstrom developed nicely and they did get some numbers from Bogo, Kane and other young guys, Hainsey was alrite for a veteran...

Winnipeg's problem is they are too heavily invested in talented guys with attitude issues. Their best player shows up 40 lbs overweight at times. Jokinen is rumoured to be a room killer. Kane has a posse, lol. They had Burmistrov, Setogouchi, Antropov, gym rat Kyle Wellwood...

They would be better off filling their team with guys that are great athletes, perhaps not as talented, but willing to fill roles and play for the team.

So then they throw too much money at their honest hockey players, plus Kane. Winnipeg gave out big contracts to Little, Wheeler, Bogosian, Enstrom this past summer. Too big, even though they are otherwise good guys, plus Kane. :lol: Everything suggested their GM was trying to hold it together when he had not provided substance behind them.

But hey, they spent big money and somebody had to be the scapegoat. In my opinion those guys all came around nicely, which does not speak to the coach. They really just need another cycle to let the coach develop guys to replace all the idiots!

I just simply don't think Noël is an NHL head coach. He was very good in the AHL and he might be a good assistant, but it's like he easily got out coached in the NHL and didn't know how to bring his team together when they were struggling. They needed someone else to put the puzzle together as Noël couldn't figure it out (to be fair, it's a really tough team to work with). Plus they needed to solve the rumoured Noël-Kane issues.

Firing Noël was something Chevy wanted to avoid and kept putting off, hopefully this means he's ready to make a significant trade as well.

for the players that Av was coaching in the end....HE was their first coach in Winnipeg. After that I believe it was Scott Arniel who coached the rest of the way until Claude coached one last season before the Jets returned. We plucked Hamhuis as a UFA from Gashville.

I double checked. Noel was indeed coach of the Moose in 2010/11.

I don't know what they're thinking in Winnipeg, but you can't just take the crappy team from Atlanta move it to Winnipeg and expect different results.

I get a lot of players don't want to play in that city, but they have to try and add a couple good players instead of scraps. If I was a Jets fan, I would pretty fed up with the job Cheveldayoff is doing.

I know it's hard to make moves in the NHL, but at some point a guy like Byfuglien or Little has got to be traded.

If there's any two coaches that are the most alike, it's Maurice and Noel.

Listening to both of them, you would swear they were the same guy. Both very dry and monotone when they speak.

I really don't see this doing much to help the Jets. They need someone to come in there and kick their butts into shape. Laviolette would have been my choice.

Archived