The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Torts Suspended 6 Games

Strombone1

Too much for my liking, but seeing as how things have gone suspension wise for the Canucks this year, I'm not really surprised. At least Hartley got a fine though, that shows that he wasn't completely innocent around this whole fiasco either.

Mind you, Torts has been suspended before so his repeat offender status I'm sure contributed to the length of the suspension in some way.

15 days and 6 total games.

How amazing that this is by far more stern and severe than actual acts of violence against players and suspensions handed down from Shanahan?

Emery forces Holtby to drop them, Hanzal 3 blatant cross checks, Brown about 18 kneeing incidents in his career.

Nothing

Tortorella approaches the Flames dressing room and starts screaming at the opposing coach and he gets 6 games in total.

How screwed up this league truly is.

I am fine with the suspension but am also happy the flames coach got a 25K fine this could make other teams take notice and realize that trying to start a game this way will not be a freebe with a few game misconducts.

I can see some rule changes coming sooner then later out of this .

But at least it is time for the Vets to step up and get this team going.

If hank is injured can he be aloud to step in as an assistant coach so he can be on the bench with the team? i think that would be pretty cool to see.

I hope the team really gets rolling while he is gone and once he is back it is smooth sailing into the playoffs.

should be interesting to see how the next few games go esp Edmonton since that has goon show written all over it also.

How amazing that this is by far more stern and severe than actual acts of violence against players and suspensions handed down from Shanahan?

Emery forces Holtby to drop them, Hanzal 3 blatant cross checks, Brown about 18 kneeing incidents in his career.

Nothing

Tortorella approaches the Flames dressing room and starts screaming at the opposing coach and he gets 6 games in total.

lol this is exactly what I was thinking. league is more concerned about image and making money than protecting players clearly.

People should expect and learned by now that if it's any Canuck disciplinary and or player infraction where Shanaban and Count Bettman are involved to review then it's a guarantee WORST case scenario and extreme hand down verdict even with or without obvious league precedence.

See - Aaron Rome in Finals

See - Kassian with Gagner

See - Edler with Hertl

See - Roy go crazy on the bench (no fine)

See - Calgary's involvement Saturday (not even any comment)

See - reffing against Vancouver post-Auger incident (no NHL action)

See - Auger's discipline for calling out Burrows and making him 'pay' (no fine/NHL action)

See - Hanzal on 3 Canuck players (minor fine)

See - Keith on Daniel Sedin (was there even a penalty? + no fine/NHL action)

See - McGrattan's hit on Alberts (no fine/NHL action)

See - Nolan's charge/kneeing on Henrik Sedin (no fine/NHL action)

I could go on...

Keith was suspended 5 games. Wasn't enough in my opinion, but it was something.

Nothing

they're making it up as they go along. There is no plan, no strategy, they just think if they say tough words and keep trying to scare players/management with suspensions, they can overcome the inept reffing and political manipulation of a league with no direction.

That baseball analyst was right...not about the player's actions or even the coaches but because of the NHL commissioner and his management team. the problems with the NHL are a result of mis-management that starts right at the top when a decision was made to treat hockey as an entertainment industry at the expense of managing it like a sport.

The NHL proves once again it's abhorrent lack of consistency and complete bias. This league is being run into the ground but as long as the Canucks remain in the NHL, I'm watching.

Still just can't buy into the biased treatment theory. Every team feels they get screwed by the refs and league. This comes from the inconsistency and incompetence of the head office not from any targeted plot.

@SNETPacific

#Canucks statement on Torts suspension - "We respect the decision made by the NHL today to suspend John Tortorella for 15 days..." Cont.

@SNETPacific

..."With no contact with the team for six games. We would also like to acknowledge our organization's full support for John..." Cont...

@SNETPacific

..."And we look forward to having him back behind the bench soon." #Canucks

Since he is not allowed contact with the team during his suspension, perhaps a good time for him to spend scouting Utica to see how his farm team is progressing (assuming that is permitted). That way he can get a first hand opinion on players with potential for call up (Jensen et al).

a thankyou to torts for not being a gutless gum chewing smirking clown. 6 games for letting the league know he's not happy with the HORRIBLE officiating and lack of protection his teams gets on a nightly basis. see booth get cross checked in the head and no suspension thats after he injured henrick and santorelli. louie getting run over 5 times not one penalty . a well deserved black eye for the league thanks to torts.

Glad Hartley got a fine...think he should have to sit too. But I guess on a team that doesn't matter, it doesn't matter.

The comment by CC about embarrassment really highlights the ego of the NHL brass. If your league is being embarrassed, you have to fix something, not punish someone. It reflects on you and falls in your lap, so don't deflect it elsewhere. This league is becoming an embarrassment and they're running the show, so do they not see the connection? Take any ownership?

It's embarrassing that a guy who runs the show can have a kid playing in the game. Conflict of interest?

The game was an embarrassment. That week of games we played was.

Their league is currently a gong show.

Were they embarrassed when Kessel chopped guys with his stick?

Some real buffoons at the helm. Be embarrassed that 10 years after the Bertuzzi incident you're still no further ahead and you're still running a league that gets some so frustrated that they lash out. Be embarrassed that you allow that to develop/happen (still).

No, never mind...I'm embarrassed for you. More to come, because I feel old feelings welling up.

This warranted a suspension in setting a "you just can't do that" way. But what about all that other crap? When's that message being sent. Need help spelling big words in the memo?

I expected this, but am also really angry over it. The whole/big picture needs a look at (again). Not just isolated incidents when it's a team in the doghouse. All teams, all incidents. That's how you make it stop and, in turn, stop being embarrassed by your product.

Pretty much how I feel right here. It's too bad the league has gotten to this state. Torts punishment versus Kessel's for swinging says it all. And good point about 10 years on from Bertuzzi ... no further ahead.

The Torts suspension is what it is. But when you stack it up against seriously dangerous attempts to injure and the league does next to nothing, they become the problem.

And yeah, at least Hartley got fined.

Guys guys.

For those upset, you need to see this could have been worse. And by not fining Torts, but fining Hartley instead, NHL showed they understand why Torts reached that point.

They simply punished his actions of borderline attacking someone in what some would call a 'Taboo Zone', in or around an opponent's dressing room. You simply cannot do that, and the NHL HAS to send that message here.

Id also like to remind our Assistant Coach's are former Head Coach's, are both perfectly qualified to fill in.

Expect the team to rally hard for these 6 games.

Archived