The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Discussion: what if Canucks don't make playoffs

Trade Edler + our 1st for a top 5 pick? I am a bit iffy on that though. Or trade Edler + Hansen for a solid top 6 FWD and a reliable top 6 D at the draft, Santorelli replaces Hansen on the 3rd line.

I would like to see Edler moved at the draft. We have a surplus on LHD Defenseman and Edler has enough value to get us a good return. Hamhuis, Garrison and Stanton fit better on this team and have done a lot better so far this season than Edler.

If we miss, draft, trade away players, build for the future and become a good team again with good young players in our lineup in 2-3 years.

Hansen, Santorelli for picks/prospects and buyout Booth

Sedins-Burrows

______-Kesler-Kassian

Higgins-Schroeder/Horvat-Jensen

Sestito-Richardson-Weise

Lain/Archi/etc.

We'll have lots of cap space for trades and signings.

trade the guy who eats up most of our minutes and is just under 0.5 ppg for his career for a project? No thanks I would rather trade for proven guys.

Common sense here? I totally agree. We get so many of these threads to get rid of Edler. People here seem to think a NTC means nothing. But his is at the very beginning. It might be a different situation if this was his final year or something. He is 33 games into a new 6 year contract. We have a coach that gives ice time based on what HE thinks is the best players. Edler plays more than anyone. Our current players that have any real trade value right now are....Hansen, Kassian, Tanev, and Stanton.

If the Canucks don't make the playoffs? Do we let MG make our trades and try to rebuild? Or do we let him go and promote Laurence Gillman. I hope Gillman gets a shot and when he does I hope it is to replace Gillis. Call me what you want. But I believe Gillman cause make some moves Gillis wouldn't think of making.

We? We don't have any choice in what happens in the head office. We don't own the team. That would be the Aquilinis.

Personally the playoffs would be an irrelevant factor if I was to make the decision. Say the Canucks make the playoffs but squeak in at the bottom and just get bounced out of the first round. Would that really be anymore promising than just missing the playoffs when you consider this is not a young and upcoming team but an aging team that has been steadily declining year to year now.

My decision would come down entirely to what direction MG decides to take. He has two options.

1. Try to win a cup soon. To do this the Canucks will need to do it on the backs of their core players and as of now all of those players are aging and that window is closing. If he wants to win with this group he will need to add significant help and sacrifice youth to bring the help in.

2. Or simply decide to start the next era of Canucks hockey and rebuild. Move most of that still valuable aging talent and bring in a slew off high end talent.

The biggest issue I see in Gillis is he is not taking sides he is riding a middle ground. He locked up almost every aging player to a decent length deal that would be unfavorable to trade value which makes it look like he wants to make a real push with these guys but then he doesn't make any aggressive moves to help them out. The main good looking prospects are teenagers and will likely be years of training away (years this core doesn't have to waste) before they truly reach their NHL star like talents. But because of holding onto the aging players the Canucks farm system isn't all that deep and it will take a lot more to fill a team down the road.

Basically for Gillis to stay I would like to see him choose a side and show some promise with it. If he wants to win with this core than be aggressive and at least show that the team can be a threat for a cup run. Or go to rebuild and stock the team up with a lot of promising looking players. I need to feel optimistic about one or the other. Compared to just riding this middle ground.

In reality, we need to decide what we're doing before the deadline. We can try to limp through a re-toll, staying in playoff contention, at least, for the duration. It will never be an Edmonton style rebuild, but it might be time to let some players go:

Higgins + Schroeder + 2015 4th to PIT for 2014 1st.

Santorelli + Richardson + 2014 3rd to a Metropolitan division team pushing for a playoff spot (Carolina, Columbus, Washington) for their 2014 1st

Pursue the Edler for O'Reilly swap if there is any substance to it.

With the conditions surrounding Lou's contract, if we can engineer a deal with Florida that involves their 2015 1st, their 2014/2016 1st and another pick, something in our favour (for once, unlikely as it may be), we should consider it. If Lack isn't up to the job yet, then tank hard next year.

(Maybe consider cap dump + 2nd for a 5th type trades too)

That should give us a highly competitive team 5 years from now, and a realistic shot of the playoffs at least in 2016/17. A quick rebuild.

Make the playoffs or not, this team isn't going anywhere. It'll be another 1st round exit. I'm all for a re-build. This core will not win anything, stop holding out any hope. They've been in decline since the finals. Let's not go the Calgary route and hold onto these assets for too long while their values diminish. It doesn't have to be a long 5-6 year re-build. It could be done in half that time if the right moves are made. There are a lot of valuable pieces here for whom we can get good returns, but for that to happen, we first and foremost need a competent GM. Start the re-build by getting a new GM first.

To be honest I am

Hoping we don't make te playoffs.

And this has been my thought from the offseason 2 years in a row we have been destroyed in the first round. We have pretty much the exact same team, why expect better results? Especially when the majority of te league has improved..

Missing the playoffs this year would not only give us a higher pick which we could maybe trade down and then get 2 second rounders or just draft a higher potential player , like a jake Virtanen.

Not just for the draft but our team needs a shake up and missing the playoffs would really slap them in the face and spark some much needed changes.

I don't know exactly what changes will happen but it's clear we need to change a Cple things.

I just don't think our team is confident enough or deep enough to go all the way this year let alone even make it to the west conf finals.

Only time will tell

Do nothing till the summer. I'm OK with dropping out of a playoff position (this year) for a better picks in the draft.

If the Sedins and Burrows are our 1st line then our 2nd line is Kesler and perhaps Kassian who's finally showing progress!

Higgins, Santorelli, Hansen are very good 3rd line players who are playing out of their roles. 4th line, start drafting better!

Booth and Lu back to Florida for anyone who wants to play here.

If the Canucks don't make the playoffs? That's a good one.

The way they're going, they will miss the playoffs. And deservedly so.

This team is lazy and unmotivated. The top four defensemen are a joke. As are the top six forwards.

Hopefully when Tortorella returns he started sitting these lazy hacks and sending the message that gutless hockey isn't allowed.

I feel sorry for Torts. He inherited a team full of entitled veterans with zero chemistry.

Archived