The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Backstrom would be a decent comparison. I lean more toward Brad Richards, myself. If we are expecting Backstrom then we should not pass on him?

Every prospect had potential deficiencies but it would be shortsighted to focus on those when they are learnable qualities IMO. Most NHL players have certain deficiencies too.

The attitude problems are more myth based than anything in my estimation.

I'm trying to determine how Backstrom is a good comparison. At the prospect level Backstrom seems to accomplished a lot more in the SHL on the offensive side. Am I missing something?

Nylander was my second pick due to the 'attitude problems' and lack of NA playing time. Well he has certainly sold me. He had a great combine.

Unfortunately, I dont believe he will be there at #6. I just PRAY its not Bennett who is the odd man out. Dal Colle or Draisaitl please.

I would be extremely happy and surprised if Bennett fell to 6th

It's interesting to see some people start to come around.

Two months ago it was just FrosbergTheGreat and myself who thought this kid was our best option.

Attitude problems, doesn't work out, looks like a girl, plays on big ice, doesn't battle, riding his father's coattails....these are all seeming to fade when faced with the fact he has top line centre potential and intense desire to win.

I dont believe you. Its not your style to pinpoint such a prediction. Your MO is to be as vague as possible so when all the smoke clears you can claim you were on the right side all along, whichever way that wind is blowing that day.

Show us the post where you state for a fact that Nylander is the guy we should take. Not 'might' take, or 'in the running' or some vague statement.

I have stated consistently that we should take Ehlers, then Nylander then Ritchie. I have written it over and over. Show us you post from 2 months ago.

Edit;

I dont believe you. Its not your style to pinpoint such a prediction. Your MO is to be as vague as possible so when all the smoke clears you can claim you were on the right side all along, whichever way that wind is blowing that day.

Show us the post where you state for a fact that Nylander is the guy we should take. Not 'might' take, or 'in the running' or some vague statement.

I have stated consistently that we should take Ehlers, then Nylander then Ritchie. I have written it over and over. Show us you post from 2 months ago.

Thats because you imagine things that aren't real. Is it in your personality to admit when you are wrong?

You have no idea what you are talking about. I'm very clear about what I think.

I think a guy that we should take a long look at in our likely draft position is Nylander.

From a pure skill perspective there could be a large payoff with him and he fits right in our positional need. It's tantalizing to go for the bigger body or the sniper but a guy who can skate and make plays is going to be a big need for us in 2-3 years.

Based on talent he should be top 6 but will likely slip much like Teravainen did. I think he's realistic for us at 8th or 9th.

If I'm taking a chance on one of them i'd choose Nylander.

I think the order will be closer to this:

1. Reinhart

2. Ekblad

3. Bennett

4. Dal Colle

5. Draisaitl

6. Nylander

7. Fleury

8. Ritchie

9. Perlini

10. Virtanen

11. Ehlers

12. McCann

13. Tuch

14. Barbashev

15. Kapanen

I'll say it again, I think Nylander is the best pick at 6th.

I completely expect the Canucks to take Ritchie and I understand why they would. It's not a bad pick and extremely difficult for a scouting staff to pass over.

We are going to take a good player. Our prospect pool will be even better after this offseason from our picks in this draft and any subsequent moves.. I'm confident of that.

He has the best vision and hockey sense of the remaining players and, possibly, of the entire draft. He generates offensive chances in so many different ways. He has that innate inability that is obvious when you see it.

What makes him enticing is that he has the skills to go along with that. His passing, skating, quickness, and hands are all top notch. Not only does he have the desire to do it but he has has the skills to back it up. I believe he is the type of player that will get the most out of his line mates. He can raise his ability in big games and already has sown that he one of the best on the biggest stages. I expect that to continue.

Does he have holes? Yes. His defensive game needs work but he has all of the tools to overcome that. He could get used to NA style of hockey but he also isn't a stranger to it and I think he can adapt.

Ultimately, I think he is going to make huge strides in the next two years to the point that he will be included in 'the best players outside of the NHL' conversation. Long term I think he'll be a special player. Better than Granlund, IMHO, and that's a good place to start.

Nylander has the big 3 things I look for: hockey sense, skating and work ethic.

His sundry skills put him over the top.

I expect he will probably slip due to the 'Swedish Factor' but not as far as the 'Russian Factor' would make him. Even so, Kuznetsov was a top 5 pick in his draft. I expect Nylander may slip to 10th but that doesn't mean I think he should or he shouldn't be taken higher.

That's a huge stretch.

He plays at the best level in every international competition. He raises his game.

I'm not assuming anything.

My point was that we have lots to work with and many potential options.

Let's see what the new management team is able to do.

As I've said time and again, I prefer Nylander longterm but I fully expect the Canucks to take Ritchie and I'm good with that.

And why the hell are we now comparing Nikolah Ehlers to Marion Gabork?????!!!!

Marion Gabork 6'1 204 183

Jake Virtannen 6'1 210

Ehlers 5'10.5 162.

It's a little unfair to compare Gaborik (or Gabork as you call him) to Virtanen as well. They aren't the same player, and when Gaborik was drafted he was 20+ lbs lighter (and I've edited that in your post above).

Now the Ehler's height and weight you're using was from earlier in the year, so that may have changed as well. We should see what his actual combine measurements are and then consider how closely he resembles another player physically. That does nothing to compare the actual style of game they play though, so I'm not even sure that's very useful.

No they didnt. Put up the link or source.

All I've see is you asking a few times if they'd interviewed him and no one replying to you. That doesn't confirm they didn't interview him. You're making the claim, put up your own source.

Top Shelf Scouting mock draft

The LWOS 2014 NHL Mock Draft Part 1 (Picks 1-15)

1) Florida Panthers – Aaron Ekblad, D, Barrie Colts, OHL: Normally, I always say that the team picking first overall should take the best player available. This year is no different, and with the Florida Panthers I believe they will take Aaron Ekblad, who is number one on our draft board. That said, the Panthers are also in good shape at forward with Jonathan Huberdeau and Aleksander Barkov as recent top 3 draft picks who have done well at the NHL level. Adding a defender to the cupboard, especially one as talented as Ekblad, would be ideal.

2) Buffalo Sabres – Sam Reinhart, C, Kootenay Ice, WHL: The Sabres were the worst team in the NHL this season, but then lost the NHL Draft Lottery to the Panthers. Despite that Buffalo will still get the player they covet in this draft class, taking the youngest (and best) of the Reinhart brothers. With Reinhart in the number one slot, Cody Hodgson as the number two, and Zemgus Girgensons as a number three centre, the Sabres will be extremely strong down the middle when they develop. If they also get Mikhail Grigorenko to develop to his potential, it will be an embarrassment of riches.

3) Edmonton Oilers – Sam Bennett, C, Kingston Frontenacs, OHL: The Oilers get another high draft pick, after another disappointing season. Obviously, the Oilers would love Ekblad to be available, but with him off the board they take Sam Bennett. Many blame the Oilers’ defence for the teams struggles, but the reality is that some defensive help from the forwards would also help their team, and Bennett has that two-way game that they have lacked in the middle of the ice. With Bennett in the fold look for the Oilers to try to move Sam Gagner to try and get some help on their blueline.

4) Calgary Flames – Nick Ritchie, LW, Peterborough Petes, OHL: Its the first pick that doesn’t follow the order of my draft rankings, as the Flames take Nick Ritchie. When I look at this draft though I see clear tiers, there is little difference from 1-3, and little difference from 4-8, so its not really a reach. Here I think that Brian Burke has promised Flames fans a big, tough (dare I say truculent), as well as talented team. Ritchie can score goals, he can hit hard, and he can win fights; that’s a combination that Brian Burke will find attractive.

5) New York Islanders – Michael Dal Colle, LW, Oshawa Generals, OHL: The Islanders are set down the middle with John Tavares and Ryan Strome, so they take Dal Colle who is a big, powerful, and extremely talented left wing who will soon be playing with one of those centres in their top six. The possibilities of having Dal Colle on one wing, and Kyle Okposo on the other are extremely intriguing.

6) Vancouver Canucks – Leon Draisaitl, C, Prince Albert Raiders, WHL: Its the first draft for the new Canucks GM, Jim Benning, who will be extremely pleased to see Leon Draisaitl fall to the sixth spot. The Canucks need an injection of young talent right now as the team got old in a hurry under Mike Gillis, and taking the best player available is a no-brainer. He may play the same position as prospects Bo Horvat and Brendan Gaunce who the Canucks have taken recently, but with one of the highest picks the Canucks have had since the Sedins were drafted, this is all about getting a potential elite player in the fold.

I guess I haven't been harping on him as my pick enough to get noticed! B)

But I've always felt we go for the highest possible skill level we can get with this pick, and that's Nylander. Obviously if there are any concerns that really add to the risk then they'd have to be considered but I think the rumours about playing for different teams all year has been offset nicely by his combine performance.

There might be slightly less skill with what has been the consensus top 5 but lesser risk as well, so I'd still consider changing my mind if one of them drop, but I'm not as high on any of the other players outside that top 5 with our 6th overall.

Our prospect pool is missing a top end forward and a top end defenceman. What one are we best able to get in this draft? Consider that and the fact we aren't likely to draft as high again unless we continue to retool/rebuild.

As well as being interviewed by the teams, the prospects are also interviewed by the media. This is what Tangerines was referring to - or did you miss all the links being posted on previous pages to the media scrums?

That's true, you have. That was an oversight on my behalf

Apologies, elvis.

Carry on, good sir.

Let me see if I can find one where I stated this:

I want Nylander, I can see the case why Linden would draft a player like Ritchie or Virtanen. They are different types of players. Your not going to see me try to convince other people that Nylander would be as effective as those two in that aspect of the game.

Rather than try to convince everyone that Ehlers is this top end all around player. Tops in every aspect of the game, that is strong on the puck and will win all these physical battles just stick to his actual strengths. He's fast, has hands and has decent vision.

I wonder who trevor has his eye on. Is he hoping a top 5 drops and then picks that player. I would love to somehow see canucks scouting list.

My personal opinion hasn't changed much

Top five is someone falls then

If we want to go with high end skill Nylander is my guy.

If we want a more rounded player Virtanen seems like a sold pick aswell

**After all that. Assuming he none of the top 5 players fall I think he will draft skill. We don’t need a player to come in and make an impact right away. We still have the Sedin’s locked up for 4 more years. I may be bias but, Nylander is who he will pick. He has top end skill and can learn a lot about being a pro from two great leaders who also are from Sweden. He has the potential to become this team’s future top center, he might not be Captain material but we’ve stocked up heart and sole players with Gaunce, Horvat, and Cassels.

I would love to see a future line of

Jensen Nylander Kassian

Ehlers and Nylander don't seem like an option after that interview.

Was really hoping for Nylander.

Oh well they know better than I do.

That's true, you have. That was an oversight on my behalf

Apologies, elvis.

Carry on, good sir.

Maybe Absent was right to call you out on proof for your claims... :ph34r:

...nah, that was actually pretty stupid of him!

But I like this trend of making Absent's crazy claims look stupid. Here are some of my early posts in this thread:

While there's been some talk on a number of players' size, I hadn't really looked at the stat lines for much of the players we're talking about. While Nylander is a bit smaller (or a lot smaller compared to someone like Draisatl or Perlini), like Bennett he is a mid-year 96 birthday so there's room to grow and develop over others with 95 birth years.

That said Dal Colle is a June 96 birthday as well, and he's got pretty good size, so they just aren't going to grow into 6+ footers/200+ pounders either. That's something exciting about Ekblad particularly, but also Fluery as well from the defensive side, since they already have the size but are still 96'ers.

That said, I like Nylander's skill set over Ehlers where Nylander seems like a player that can make others around him better while Ehlers is more of an individual star.

I think Fleury looks too much like a rich man's Yann Sauve. He seems to have good talent and people think he can do more offensively but my feeling is that won't translate well enough at the NHL level. That doesn't mean he can't make the NHL, but I'm just hesitating to put him as a blue chip prospect.

I'd rather take a risk on a high end forward like Nylander if that's what we have to choose from, but as you say they're tied in your eyes.

And this beaut in reply to an Absent post specifically:

I could have easily quoted one of your posts - you're not immune from the same criticism looking at a number of your posts in this thread.

But back on topic, I'm with ForsbergTheGreat and theminister because of Nylander's high end skill. I feel it's that much above anyone else we might have available, and only someone dropping from the consensus top 5 would give me pause. Of course, this is without access to interviews and combine results for these players and those kinds of things could greatly change anyone's opinion on who to pick.

:lol:

I do find it interesting to see how some peoples trends have been going though, with very little Nylander talk over the last while before the combine, and then after the combine he's so hot right now.

We didnt have offense this year becuse our drafting has been terrible. Picking nylandrr cuz we lack offense is short sighted when players like shinkaruk jensen and whatever we get in a kesler trade will prime us enough.

Two way players . Nick ritchie.

We didnt have offense this year becuse our drafting has been terrible. Picking nylandrr cuz we lack offense is short sighted when players like shinkaruk jensen and whatever we get in a kesler trade will prime us enough.

Two way players . Nick ritchie.

I'm more concerned about this offense just not being there. He had a good U18 in totality, but he lit up the weaker teams and didn't put up anything against the stronger ones. And the SHL stats aren't there to say he's superb offensively. In Allsvenskan he put up numbers, but the level of competition isn't as strong.

He looks to be a long-term project, really. Even in terms of pure offense. Then you have to take into account the reports of his defense being a relative non-factor. Then you have his dad's obvious involvement in his career.

Is there something i'm missing that makes him this offensive dynamo worth taking this risk on? Or is it based only on mythical potential?

Maybe Absent was right to call you out on proof for your claims... :ph34r:

...nah, that was actually pretty stupid of him!

But I like this trend of making Absent's crazy claims look stupid. Here are some of my early posts in this thread:

And this beaut in reply to an Absent post specifically:

:lol:

I do find it interesting to see how some peoples trends have been going though, with very little Nylander talk over the last while before the combine, and then after the combine he's so hot right now.

Congrats. Your posts indicate you recongize the talent. None say that you pick him over the others. Its just more vague double talk .

We have all made posts bemoaning the various good traits of each prospect. That doesnt mean we can rush here in hindsight and said 'we knew it all along'. That would be disingenuous wouldnt it?

However, I never read you BRAGGING that you wanted Nylander all the time, so you really arent the subject of the discussion.

I think a lot of us were surprised with Nylander physical ability, but it really shouldn't be considering he's been playing against men in the SHL. I do believe he will go in the top 5 based on skill and physical conditioning. If he's available at six I would have no quarrels with us picking him, even though I know Schroeder was similarly strong in the combine, I think Nylanders height difference, and skill set are major advantages over JS.

Nylander or Dal Colle if we stay at 6, Reinhart or Bennett if we move up.

what's impressive is he 'gets it'

one of the comments i made in regards to Bennett is, heck you're going to a professional evaluation camp, yes you're ranked high but did you not think, over the season that training is important?

did you not think improving a weakness is important? it lends to his mentality, just go on skill not improve/ work etc

Nylander isn't just stronger, i guarantee that kid worked out like a fiend throughout the season to GAIN strength, then comes in and has a great combine

what that tells NHL teams was

1. Best skill in the draft

2. He small but hell he's playing vs men and he showed COMMITTMENT ALREADY to improving what he needs to improve on

3. = pro attitude, doing what it takes

4. NHL Bloodlines and gets it

take Nylander please!

what's impressive is he 'gets it'

one of the comments i made in regards to Bennett is, heck you're going to a professional evaluation camp, yes you're ranked high but did you not think, over the season that training is important?

did you not think improving a weakness is important? it lends to his mentality, just go on skill not improve/ work etc

Nylander isn't just stronger, i guarantee that kid worked out like a fiend throughout the season to GAIN strength, then comes in and has a great combine

what that tells NHL teams was

1. Best skill in the draft

2. He small but hell he's playing vs men and he showed COMMITTMENT ALREADY to improving what he needs to improve on

3. = pro attitude, doing what it takes

4. NHL Bloodlines and gets it

take Nylander please!

I too am on the nylander train.

choochoooo

Are people really being swayed by the combine?

Why? Interviews?

MacKinnon could have spit in the faces of the all the Avs brass and they still would have selected him.

Pull-ups?

Kindof irrelevant isn't it? The results of all physical tests now are meaningless when compared to when their expected post-development physicality.

I laughed hard when the 'Bennett zero pulluppps!' story blew up.

To me the NHL combine has always been a dog and pony show and it's quite clear why teams in recent seasons have ran their own 'real' combines.

Anyone know if the Canucks were one of these teams? I'm thinking no. I'm thinking certain blessed and privileged teams down south get those.

The others have been verified as to being interviewed. Ritchie never was. If he was, I am sure someone will post it.

I'm sure management interviewed all top10 worthy players. Didn't Benning say that they interviewed like half of the guys at the combine for like 20-25 minutes? It would be stupid if Ritchie wasn't one of those. I'd say there's absolutely no way that they didn't interview him. Chance is even bigger if Ritchie said 25 teams interviewed him. Canucks gotta be one of those if they're pick 6th.

Archived