The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Team1040 Doug Maclean

davinci

If it were possible to get She Weber out of Nashville, I am 100% sure Ryan Kesler is the only way to make that conversation happen. Barry Trotz and David Poile love him!!! 1st line Olympic center. Trotz was gushing over him in 2011 when we beat Nashville. And rightfully so!!!

That being said, I think I would rather Seth Jones. Younger, faster. When all is said and done, I think Jones will be better than Shea Weber. No question! Also to add to that, if Poile and Trotz had a chance to have Kesler and Weber on the same team, I think they would offer up Seth Jones.

I'd jump on that faster than Glassjaw on a perceived argument if it meant we'd be getting Jones.

Hypothetically, if Ryan Kesler was made available, which teams would spread their legs and accept him the most? (pardon the pun) I believe Nashville, Philadelphia, Toronto, Winnipeg, Edmonton, possibly Buffalo.

I could see Detroit, Tampa, and Carolina having interest as well.

Not a pun

PUN

Noun

• a joke exploiting the different possible meanings of a word or the fact that there are words that sound alike but have different meanings.

"the pigs were a squeal (if you'll forgive the pun)"

synonyms: play on words,
    More

Verb

• make a joke exploiting the different possible meanings of a word.

"his first puzzle punned on composers, with answers like “Handel with care” and “Haydn go seek”"

Hypothetically, if Ryan Kesler was made available, which teams would spread their legs and accept him the most? (pardon the pun) I believe Nashville, Philadelphia, Toronto, Winnipeg, Edmonton, possibly Buffalo.

I could see Detroit, Tampa, and Carolina having interest as well.

I think a team that was a serious contender now would pay the most for Kesler and he is likely the player in Vancouver that will bring the best return (but for those same reasons you'd want to keep him). From your list Philly makes the most sense, they are often active at the deadline. I always watch Pittsburgh at the deadline too, they always seem in play.

Not a pun

PUN

Noun

• a joke exploiting the different possible meanings of a word or the fact that there are words that sound alike but have different meanings.

More

Verb

"his first puzzle punned on composers, with answers like “Handel with care” and “Haydn go seek”"

Whatever Thundernuts. You know what I'm saying.

I think a team that was a serious contender now would pay the most for Kesler and he is likely the player in Vancouver that will bring the best return (but for those same reasons you'd want to keep him). From your list Philly makes the most sense, they are often active at the deadline. I always watch Pittsburgh at the deadline too, they always seem in play.

The fact that Phili knows how much this sort of player costs (Mike Richards) would guarantee Couturier would be coming our way plus, acquiring him really makes Gaunce expendable. Plus they would have to add someone like Jakob Voracek, Matt Read, or Brayden Schenn.

I would agree to a point. I tend to think a perennial bubble team with scoring issues like Columbus, Philly (over last few seasons) Carolina would pay a far sight more than a contender. Not only because of the need to get that playoff revenue but also for the canucks due to the ability to trade back solid picks/prospects.

Kesler is indeed the #1 trade chip for the Canucks, followed by Edler and Luongo.

If indeed the team is going to trade 2 or 3 of these key players away the return would have to be excessive and enough to move them forward knowing they've the young prospects and depth of prospects to be a competitive threat moving forward coupled with the current roster they have.

This would also have to be done with the knowledge that the next 1+ seasons are write offs as it was and to lower or temper all expectations from the fans.

Kesler 1st round pick solid performing prospect in the league and blue chip prospect or solid performing blue chip + multiple picks in the first round

Edler 1st round pick plus blue chip prospect or multiple picks in 1st through 3rd round

Luongo 1st round pick + blue chip prospect or multiple picks int he 1st through 3rd round

If we indeed can make trades like these which are entirely reasonable. Than we have not only stockpiled enough NHL ready prospects that can contribute now, but have also loaded our system with the ability to bring in 2 or 3 rookies a season for the next 2 to 4 years slowly phasing out or trading our aging core.

This is a proper retool and would be awesome if done right, especially given our chance at a shot for MacDavid and Chycrun in the next 2 seasons.

UNlikely to happen but entirely feasible if indeed a serious change is affected with this team

Horvat , Shinkaruk, Fox, Lack, Kassian, Tanev, Stanton

The rest are negotiable.

Fox was a undrafted free agent a little while ago and anyone could have had him for free.

Stanton was put on waivers and fell all the way to the Canucks.

When guys like that are on your "untouchable list", your team is in trouble.

I get it that you are putting the younger players on the list, but guys like Stanton and Fox represent little upside.

Luongo 1st round pick + blue chip prospect or multiple picks in the 1st through 3rd round

I hope that Gillis doesn't make that mistake again, thinking that he can get a large amount of young talent/picks for Luongo.

It forced him to dump Schneider for a draft pick (which may well turn out pretty good).

I would agree to a point. I tend to think a perennial bubble team with scoring issues like Columbus, Philly (over last few seasons) Carolina would pay a far sight more than a contender. Not only because of the need to get that playoff revenue but also for the canucks due to the ability to trade back solid picks/prospects.

Kesler is indeed the #1 trade chip for the Canucks, followed by Edler and Luongo.

If indeed the team is going to trade 2 or 3 of these key players away the return would have to be excessive and enough to move them forward knowing they've the young prospects and depth of prospects to be a competitive threat moving forward coupled with the current roster they have.

This would also have to be done with the knowledge that the next 1+ seasons are write offs as it was and to lower or temper all expectations from the fans.

Kesler 1st round pick solid performing prospect in the league and blue chip prospect or solid performing blue chip + multiple picks in the first round

Edler 1st round pick plus blue chip prospect or multiple picks in 1st through 3rd round

Luongo 1st round pick + blue chip prospect or multiple picks int he 1st through 3rd round

If we indeed can make trades like these which are entirely reasonable. Than we have not only stockpiled enough NHL ready prospects that can contribute now, but have also loaded our system with the ability to bring in 2 or 3 rookies a season for the next 2 to 4 years slowly phasing out or trading our aging core.

This is a proper retool and would be awesome if done right, especially given our chance at a shot for MacDavid and Chycrun in the next 2 seasons.

UNlikely to happen but entirely feasible if indeed a serious change is affected with this team

Carolina or Columbus eh? Well there was always that RJ Umberger fiasco. Wouldn't mind trading him to either. If it were Carolina, then Jeff Skinner is the obvious name that comes to mind. But they also have the Staals. I don't think Carolina really cares about Kesler as much. They have Jordan Staal. They are pretty solid up the middle. Plus we gotta remember Kesler actually has to say yes to waving to move to one of these teams. The situation in Carolina makes me think nope and unless RJ were to come our way, I don't think he would say yes to Columbus either. Though this is all subjective. All of this pales in comparison to Seth Jones though. If I am MG and I were trading Kesler, a Seth Jones type would be the target, or at the very least a guy who is capable of replacing his PK skills (Sean Couturier). Nashville and Phili are on speed dial for this one, lol.

I would bet Carolina would be interested in Alex Edler though. Even with that kneeing incident at the world's.

I hope that Gillis doesn't make that mistake again, thinking that he can get a large amount of young talent/picks for Luongo.

It forced him to dump Schneider for a draft pick (which may well turn out pretty good).

Different climate.....new cap larger spending more teams needing tenders....

Philly would love Bieksa, they would be all over him if made available and he waived ntc to go there. This would be the ideal trade partner for nucks as they have so young guys that fit what nucks lack up front...the couturier, schenn's, Simmonds of the world would be the type of return that would do wonders for the nucks up front.

Not a pun

PUN

Noun

More

Verb

English 101 for ya!

What I heard on 1040 was that the Canucks were rumoured to be working on 2 deals that would include moving players that we would least likely expect. I wouldn't be surprised to see guys like Higgins, Schroeder, Hansen and probably a dman or two in play....Beiksa maybe even Hamhuis. Luongo is still a possibility.

There is little doubt that the Canucks are entering rebuilding mode. The worst possible thing that could happen now is for MG to be trading for older players. This team needs a solid mix of skilled youth to move forward. Our window to win the Cup has passed so lets get on with the rebuild.

Archived