The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Team1040 Doug Maclean

davinci

Not even Joking

Ryan Kesler, Alex Edler, (1st rounder if needed)

to Nash

Shea Weber, 2nd round pick

We finally have a stud dman

Weber, Hammy,Bieksa, Tanev, Stanton, Corrado, Garrison, Diaz

Best d in the nhl

HA....haha.....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

OK That is enough internet for you today

Not sure if Gillis will be able to address any of our dire needs via trade. We'll likely get a couple ho-hum players or prospects, at best.

He really is in a lose-lose situation. He either sends out our good veteran players and lose the trade short-term while facing the wrath of omgz winz nowzz fans, or sends out our prospects and lose the trade long-term while facing the wrath of omgz Grabnerzz fans.

Maybe the best thing for him is to sit on his hands, try to get stop-gaps in free agency and try to get our prospects to pan out into something. However, by then our good veteran players will be itching to leave.

Watching a sad inevitable decline is sad.

Purcell is an interesting option, and plays well on the PP too.

He's available since the youngsters in Johnson, Kucherov, and Palat have looked so damn good, combined with the fact that Stamkos should be back soon...

Prospect Brett Connolly, whom has ggod size, can play both center and RW, and is also from Cambell River.... has fallen behind the fore mentioned youngsters, while another C/W prospect in Namestnikov is playing a similar game to Connolly.

TB can afford to move some offence for defence and bottom 6 depth.

I dont see Bieksa being moved. He's loved by his teammates, and is one of the few current players that fit into the coaches style. A team would have to overpay to pick him up.

BUT for arguements sake... iF a deal like....

Bieksa + Hansen for Purcell, Connolly, Koekkoek

Came along...

I've mentioned this before but I think Edler would be an excellent addition for TB with Ohlund down, and him having lots of experience playing with Salo. Would make TB's back end very strong for a playoff push. And I could definitely see Conolly coming back this way + extra pieces to even the deal out.

I'd take whatever Maclean says with a grain of salt. I don't care if he's a former NHL GM, he knows nothing when it comes to reporting about rumours... Look what happened with the Jackets when he was their GM, they went nowhere and rushed Brule into the league. Now look what happened to both of them.

for Shea Weber, 2nd round pick

Y'know what? Shea is the type of player I would pay a king's ransom for. I would seriously consider any trade for him because it solidifies our defense until the year 2026.

Thing is, if we don't do it, you know another team will. Maybe even the hated Oilers.

You know Nashville is shopping him. It really stings for a poor franchise to pay him all that signing bonus cash for wasted, playoffless seasons.

tanev is our right handed version on hamhuis. Didnt say hes as good. but they are both good in their own end, can make solid passes, Tanev has jumped the rush and as his confidence grows so to will his offensive game, although it is limited.

I would think Tanev is a big favourite to Torts, he did praise him quite a bit during one particular interview.

I'd take whatever Maclean says with a grain of salt. I don't care if he's a former NHL GM, he knows nothing when it comes to reporting about rumours... Look what happened with the Jackets when he was their GM, they went nowhere and rushed Brule into the league. Now look what happened to both of them.

and of course it probably all boils down to this

Not even Joking

to Nash

Shea Weber, 2nd round pick

We finally have a stud dman

Weber, Hammy,Bieksa, Tanev, Stanton, Corrado, Garrison, Diaz

Best d in the nhl

okay...but right now our team NEEDS offence, so that leaves the Sedin's to provide the offence? Weber won't fix our scoring issues, so basically we will have to win 1 nothing in EVERY SINGLE playoff game...we need offence, even the best dman in the league wouldn't fix our scoring issues.

just because he wasn't a very good GM doesn't mean he doesn't have credible sources, at least he isn't eklund...

You have zero proof that he isn't a credible source or doesn't have a few solid sources, but the proof that he is a credible source is that he works for sportnset and does radio interviews for a city who craves Hockey...yeah he is a total bone head isn't he.

I don't believe anything Maclean says anymore. The guys a half wit.

half a wit? So here you are beaking a guy who works for sportsnet and does radio interviews in cities like vancouver where people crave for hockey, and you're calling him half a wit? He wasn't a very good GM, fair enough, but logic tells me he has more Hockey wits than you do, and you are beaking him....

Maybe it's Bieksa?

There's been some talk about Tampa Bay having interest.

The Lightning seem to really love acquiring Canucks veteran defensemen (Ohlund, Salo).

I could see Juice possibly waiving his NTC for the chance to play in the East (I've always felt that he'd thrive in the other conference) and enjoy the fun and sun of Florida.

Lightning fans have been offering (RW) Teddy Purcell and either a 2nd round pick or "B" prospect. I think MG would have to consider it, especially if TBL sweetened things a little more.

I could see something working around Bieksa for Purcell++.

The Canucks (assuming they re-sign) would still have Tanev, Diaz, Weber, Corrado as RHDs, plus Garrison has been effective on his off side.

Edler would have to stay then, as the current D corps doesn't have enough physicality to lose both Juice and Eddie without becoming very soft in the process. Hopefully, Stanton can be developed into a more physical player at the NHL level (he's shown this capacity at the lower levels). Hamhuis also has an underrated physical game.

Maybe also look to grab one of the Lightning's more physical D prospects or target one in the upcoming draft.

There's no doubting the fact that the Canucks lose some grit/toughness and are a less mean/angry team to play against if Bieksa is moved. However, if the return is a good top-six forward plus a future asset (pick/prospect), I think this would be a net positive trade.

I really like Bieksa and he's one of the core leaders on this team but he might actually be more expendable than Edler.

Hamhuis-Tanev seems to be just as (if not more) effective of a pairing as Hamhuis-Bieksa. And Bieksa doesn't seem to play very well with Edler. Bieksa has actually had good results playing alongside Garrison as an offensive-minded combo but only in limited minutes and the team doesn't appear interested in exploring this possibility as a regular pairing. Stanton-Bieksa have been solid together but they have played nowhere near an irreplaceable role on this team.

As for the Purcell offer, he might be a good fit in Vancouver. On the plus side: Purcell is 28 (4 years younger than Bieksa), has 2 years remaining on his contract, has good size (6'3", 200+lbs), loads of offensive ability, has produced solid "2nd line" numbers and flirted with "1st line" numbers in a couple seasons, shoots right, plays either wing, and can be effective in both the setup and finishing roles. On the negative side: he's been inconsistent throughout his career and he doesn't use his size enough.

The salary cap would be roughly neutral (Bieksa=$4.6 million AAV; Purcell=$4.5 million AAV).

EDIT: typos

Unless Purcell is playing with the Sedins I don't think he will put up the same point totals in vancouver as he did in tampa...playing with Kesler doesn't give players a better chance at producing points especially since Kesler is an elite defensive player with above average offence, and I think Purcell needs to play with guys with a better offensive touch than Kesler.

But then again Bieksa is 33 and Purcell has a reasonable 4.5 mill cap hit for 3 more years...

'we wouldn't consider' could either mean a surprise core player or Dalpe type, 14th forward, Comet call up kind of player. My bet knowing Gillis is a Comet call up type, don't hold your breath for a significant move.

why would a Dalpe type player be a move we wouldn't consider? Guys like Dalpe are traded all the time and they are called minor trades for a reason.

Archived