The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] "Teams eyeing down Kesler & Edler" - Ownership prevented Kesler trade

I wouldn't. Think of it like the Lindros trade.

Philli got the better player sure.

but the Nords/Avs got many quality players and a couple of cups from the depth they garnered from it all

Better served trading them seperately, depth wins championships.

Didn't the Nords get a throw in named Forsberg? :blush:

They made out alrite!

Be prepared for Edler to win a Norris with Detroit, though.

That would happen.

No it wouldn't.

Edler is maligned here on CDC. He should not be. He's a quality D man, with a big shot, reasonable puck skills, mobile and 217 lbs. That's impressive!

Edler is also 217 lbs, not 230lbs like Weber or Pronger. Just reasonable with the puck. Don't expect the creativity, dash or ability to dangle and dish of a Doughty or Letang. Nor does he offer the speed and athleticism of a Duncan Kieth.

He's a great defenseman. But does not quite have the physical gifts of the truly elite guys who can take over games, sometimes any game, anytime they want. I do not think a Norris will hang in his cupboard even though I like Edler.

We'd be in a log jam on the left trying to get pouliot in and trading bieksa.. Ideally it would be nice to come out of this retool with a good right side physical stay at home guy to go forward with pairing up edler.

If we go forward with a future of edler we should get him a #2 defenseman for the right side so he can really thrive as opposed to juggling with bieksa garrison right side left side all the time.

I like the idea of keeping him but we need a top pairing partner for him to cover his ass and maximize his talent. Unfortunately hamhuis plays left.

I do really want pouliot though but if he comes we may have to trade from the left side

We should not be trading Bieksa in a Pouliot move. We don't have great prospect depth, so adding ANY top end prospect is valid. But on our team our natural lefties are Hamhuis, Edler, Garrison and Stanton,. Our natural righties are Bieksa, Tanev, Corrado long term, Diaz and Weber.

I believe Edler is better than Bieksa, but we are not in the same position of strength to move Bieksa (unless he is replaced in the moveitself).

He was told to play wing, and went full Kesler...

I actually didn't see what happened to Richie.

Feeling bad for the Elder statesmen on the team who are just now learning that management is not going to be pursuing a cup this year. Kinda sad for guys like Juice, Burr, Higgi etc.

I feel bad for the management, coaches and fans of the team as they've learned over the last 4 months that the elder statesmen were not going to be pursuing a cup this year.

I believe Edler is better than Bieksa, but we are not in the same position of strength to move Bieksa (unless he is replaced in the moveitself).

The problem with that thinking, Surfer, is that you are thinking directionally rather than laterally.

Nothing is going to be corrected in a single move. Replacing like for like makes little sense when negotiating with a trade partner.

The best option is to make a trade that gives you redundancy in one area to trade for another area of need.

Penguins, Flyers jockeying for Kesler

By Rob Rossi NHL/Penguins Reporter,

412-380-5635Published: Tuesday, March 4, 2014, 10:06 p.m.Updated 6 hours ago

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — The Ryan Kesler Watch has become part of the Commonwealth Cold War.The Penguins and in-state, division rival Philadelphia Flyers have emerged as top contenders to acquire Kesler before the trade deadline at 3 p.m. Wednesday.Kesler, a center for the Vancouver Canucks, has drawn interest from several clubs, but he controls his fate by possessing a full no-trade clause in his contract.

The Penguins are confident Kesler will waive that clause to play for a franchise run by general manager Ray Shero, who impressed him during their time together with Team USA at the Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia.

However, anticipating a significant offer by the Flyers, the Penguins have softened their stance against including top prospect Derrick Pouliot, a defenseman, in a deal for Kesler.Shero inquired about Kesler in January and last week proposed sending center Brandon Sutter, a first- and third-round pick in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft and defensemen Simon Despres or Brian Dumoulin in exchange for Kesler.The Penguins were told by Vancouver that a deal for Kesler must include an NHL forward 25 years of age or younger, a top prospect and at least a first-round pick, multiple sources said.

Ownership has authorized Shero to sweeten the deal to land Kesler as the Penguins believe his acquisition would improve dramatically their chances to win the Stanley Cup in one of the next three postseasons.Kesler, 29, is a former 40-goal scorer and past winner of the Selke Trophy as the NHL's top defensive forward. He has two years remaining on a contract that counts $5 million annually against the salary cap, which is projected to rise from $64.3 million to at least $71 million next season.

If Im Gillis...Im taking this package if Pouliot is available

Sutter

Pouliot

1st

Philly is said to be out while Anaheim is said to be lurking

NOW is the best package we will get for Kesler....teams want him NOW for their respective playoff pushes. Getting him NOW will get them 3 playoff chances to win a cup. If we pass and wait till the draft or the summer.....we will get less.

Gillis/Gillman need to be on the phone working these teams

If Im Gillis...Im taking this package if Pouliot is available

Sutter

Pouliot

1st

Philly is said to be out while Anaheim is said to be lurking

NOW is the best package we will get for Kesler....teams want him NOW for their respective playoff pushes. Getting him NOW will get them 3 playoff chances to win a cup. If we pass and wait till the draft or the summer.....we will get less.

Gillis/Gillman need to be on the phone working these teams

I agree that now is the best time... but I don't know where Sutter fits in beyond this year. Is he going to be good enough to be the centre on the second line? If all he's good for is as the centre for the third line, we don't need him. We have Horvat coming up next year and we have Matthias and RIchardson as well. I also don't like the idea of the Penguins loading up for the next 3 years. I think if possible, trading for a package involving Schenn would be better for us.

I agree that now is the best time... but I don't know where Sutter fits in beyond this year. Is he going to be good enough to be the centre on the second line? If all he's good for is as the centre for the third line, we don't need him. We have Horvat coming up next year and we have Matthias and RIchardson as well. I also don't like the idea of the Penguins loading up for the next 3 years. I think if possible, trading for a package involving Schenn would be better for us.

Look, we still have Henrik on the 1st, Sutter would be the shut down/key faceoff guy this team has sorely missed since Malhotra and Matthias will be our 4th. Torts will find a spot for Richardson. Next season and season after Either Horvat or Gaunce slide onto 2nd line as I'm sure Torts will give those guys every opportunity to thrive and develope much the same way he did for Stepan.

Meanwhile we finally get a slick defense prospect this team never really has ever had.

Add the 1st pick and I believe there are some decent picks to be had sitting at 27-30

Look, we still have Henrik on the 1st, Sutter would be the shut down/key faceoff guy this team has sorely missed since Malhotra and Matthias will be our 4th. Torts will find a spot for Richardson. Next season and season after Either Horvat or Gaunce slide onto 2nd line as I'm sure Torts will give those guys every opportunity to thrive and develope much the same way he did for Stepan.

Meanwhile we finally get a slick defense prospect this team never really has ever had.

Add the 1st pick and I believe there are some decent picks to be had sitting at 27-30

Sure, I like the D prospects that are coming our way (be it Pouliot or Maata) but what if Horvat doesn't cut it as second line centre next year or the year after? The Sedins are already playing like 2nd liners so basically if the Sedins don't go back to producing 90pts, we would have a second line, a third line centred by Horvat, another third line centred by Sutter, and a fourth line.

Just like you, I really hope Horvat can come in and do what McKinnon is doing this year (or even perform at 75% of McKinnon's production this year). Keep in mind, even super talented Stamkos only had about 50 pts in his rookie season. Sure Horvat is physically mature, but he will need time to get used to things. Having said that, I really hope I'm proven wrong and Horvat can put up 50+ solid points and play like a second line centre.

I just don't want the management to be doing wishful thinking like: "oh... well Horvat will be a guaranteed 2nd liner within 1 or 2 years." They must first evaluate whether Sutter can do the job as a second line centre. And if not, can someone within the organization take over that role, for example, can Schroeder handle the duty as a second line centre? If the answer to that question is also no, then is there going to be a UFA that we can sign to take over that role? If that is also no... then getting Sutter is a wrong move. I'd rather have Pens include another forward prospect in that case or another 1st rounder or something like that.

can Schroeder handle the duty as a second line centre?

jeepers....I keep forgetting about Ricky Schroeder :bigblush:

I see your point and I think its valid but I sense pesimism about 2nd C.

Im holding out hope that if maybe Ol' Puffy-Eyes trades Edler, its to a team deep in centers and needing a defenseman. ....Philly, Montreal, Toronto

Schenn

Eller

Kadri

Would they fit on 2nd line?

If that doesnt work out, there IS the UFA route as you suggest, but im certain market prices will be high this year. We aren't a contender anymore so we ain't getting a discount either

If that fails, lets see what the little fella(Schroeder) can do with a whole year of being left on the 2nd line.

If that fails, then I'm contented to let Gaunce or Horvat man the helm on 2nd line

If Kes ends up going to Phi or PIT, i would venture a guess that CDC is going to explode saying that Gillis needs to be fired! Everyone is going to presume the Ducks have the best offer and that he won't take it because we are in the same division. When, lets be honest, we have no clue what the proposed deals are and what teams they are coming from. It's all speculation treated as facts.

If Kes ends up going to Phi or PIT, i would venture a guess that CDC is going to explode saying that Gillis needs to be fired! Everyone is going to presume the Ducks have the best offer and that he won't take it because we are in the same division. When, lets be honest, we have no clue what the proposed deals are and what teams they are coming from. It's all speculation treated as facts.

ohhhh look at you and your logic huh?

You are correct that we will never know. Usually find out thru "insider gossip" bt still not 100% accurate.

I truely dnt care where Kes ends up...as long as the returns are good

jeepers....I keep forgetting about Ricky Schroeder :bigblush:

I see your point and I think its valid but I sense pesimism about 2nd C.

Im holding out hope that if maybe Ol' Puffy-Eyes trades Edler, its to a team deep in centers and needing a defenseman. ....Philly, Montreal, Toronto

Schenn

Eller

Kadri

Would they fit on 2nd line?

If that doesnt work out, there IS the UFA route as you suggest, but im certain market prices will be high this year. We aren't a contender anymore so we ain't getting a discount either

If that fails, lets see what the little fella(Schroeder) can do with a whole year of being left on the 2nd line.

If that fails, then I'm contented to let Gaunce or Horvat man the helm on 2nd line

Have you forgotten, or just chosen to disregard Santorelli?

Guest Dasein

Have you forgotten, or just chosen to disregard Santorelli?

I would disregard Santo.

He is not a 2C on a contender and never will be.

He works hard though.

Still, expendable. Good utility player I could see on a 3rd/4th line on a contending team.

Archived