The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Luongo sitting out again because he's in play?

VegasCanuck

Explain how it is risky? If Lack doesn't play well then what? Oh, we don't make the playoffs and get a better draft pick or we lose in the 1st round. How is that any different then what will happen anyway?

There is no risk because there is nothing to lose. If you think this team has a playoff run in them then you are either a blind homer, really young, or generally clueless.

You kinda....totally missed that. Your attention to detail is....LACKing

:bigblush:

I think it would be considered a win by just about everyone. (except apollo) The problem is, no-one has offered anything like that up to this point.

A couple of years back, the Canucks were hard after Nick Bjugstad, but Tallon wouldn't bite. Bear in mind that this was a proposed deal to a team who's ownership reportedly wanted Luongo badly, and Bjugstad, although a player with a lot of upside, was not even Florida's top prospect.

Still, Tallon wouldn't bite.

So we're left with the best reported offer so far: Dave Nonis' offer of a pair of 2nd round picks. With that meager return, I don't see how Gillis could have done anything else.

So why do we believe that things are different now? Do we believe that his backup role on Team Canada has significantly boosted his value? Does the reported increase in the Cap make his contract less of an issue for prospective trade partners? I guess we'll see. Personally, I'd be hopeful, but not optimistic.

PS: A while back, it was reported that the Leafs had offered Luke Schenn and Nazem Kadri for Luongo. This was before the Leafs landed Bernier and both Kadri and Schenn were not living up to expectations. This report has never been confirmed, but if true, it was a massive swing and miss for MG, especially considering the fact that Nonis was eventually able to flip Schenn to Philly for JVR.

The landscape has changed quite a bit since then.

The cap will increase significantly compared to the artificial lowering that the NHL teams were dealing with at the time. The Canucks needed to shed clear salary and take none back in return. That wouldn't be the case now. There also isn't the obvious goalie crush that we had with Schneider.

With regards to Florida, Barkov has assumed that mantle over Bjugstad now and having Huberdeau, Trochek, Shore etc. makes moving him more of a possibility in theory. Coupled with the fact that Markstrom has not only not matured he has seemingly regressed. Will they waste another year trying that? Will Thomas want to play there next year with little hope of the playoffs? Lot's of variables.

The landscape has changed quite a bit since then.

The cap will increase significantly compared to the artificial lowering that the NHL teams were dealing with at the time. The Canucks needed to shed clear salary and take none back in return. That wouldn't be the case now. There also isn't the obvious goalie crush that we had with Schneider.

With regards to Florida, Barkov has assumed that mantle over Bjugstad now and having Huberdeau, Trochek, Shore etc. makes moving him more of a possibility in theory. Coupled with the fact that Markstrom has not only not matured he has seemingly regressed. Will they waste another year trying that? Will Thomas want to play there next year with little hope of the playoffs? Lot's of variables.

Agree on the last paragraph, which was my reason for my earlier assertion that NB wasn't even Florida's top prospect.

As I said, I hopeful that (as you say) the landscape has changed. I'd still love to see the Lou for Bjugstad deal come to fruition. However, I just am not confident.

Even with the increasing Cap, etc., I think NHL GMs have convinced themselves that Lou's contract is an albatross, mainly because of the term. I just don't believe that anyone will give up anything of value for him.

I hope I'm wrong...

I'm a huge Luongo fan so I'd hate to see him traded. But I accept that there's a real possibility that Lu gets moved by next season. I think when Gillis flew to Florida last summer to smooth things over with Lu, a promise was made to trade him closer to home at the most opportune time. And what better time than now? Luongo has proven that he can still play at a high level... having accomplished a save % of .924 just before the team crashed in January (due to team injuries), and having made Team Canada as the backup (no shame in that). Lack seems to have won the team's (and Torts') confidence in him.

I think it's very possible Lu is in play. We'll know for sure if he isn't starting in the Heritage Classic!

Things could get interesting come Monday.

I really believe that even if Gillis had a deal on the table for Lu or Kesler, he wouldn't pull the trigger on it before the Heritage Classic.

They've already had some bad press with the game. And after selling their images everywhere promoting the game, and making profit on the hundreds of Luongo and Kesler jerseys sold to fans, this would be killer.

Things could heat up immediately after Sunday so stockpile on your popcorn.

The Canucks are in a pickle again. Lu clearly wants out of Vancouver and Lack is a rookie. They have to see what Eddie can do...see if he's for real before they can (once again) drag Lu's name around again in trade talks. I think Lack will be getting plenty of opportunities to showcase his stuff.

As for the 'goalie making machine,' Eddie may be the end of the line. It's very hard to predict how the goalie prospects will do and it usually takes a lot of years to develop an NHL goalie (see Schneider and Lack).

I just hope it doesn't turn into a media frenzy again and make the team look 'bush league'.

Explain how it is risky? If Lack doesn't play well then what? Oh, we don't make the playoffs and get a better draft pick or we lose in the 1st round. How is that any different then what will happen anyway?

There is no risk because there is nothing to lose. If you think this team has a playoff run in them then you are either a blind homer, really young, or generally clueless.

Hey, in both 1982 and 1994 we were fringe playoff teams and look what happened.

He recently said on team 1040 with Don taylor and I think it was bmac. That he's happy. For the first time in his years in Vancouver his daughter has moved here and started school.

He has a NTC and is playing for the greatest city on earth. He'll retire a Canuck.

Lack played well vs the blues so he got the game vs the wild too. Lui will lead us to the playoffs this year.

Hey, in both 1982 and 1994 we were fringe playoff teams and look what happened.

I know you're being optimistic, but that was an entirely different game of hockey haha. Sure we can look at LA and see what they did, but they were a gritty team with an amazing goalie that suddenly learned how to win games after a coaching change. We need something to start clicking now, and if it doesn't, we may as well retool the rest of the season, get a higher pick, and hope for better luck next year.

He recently said on team 1040 with Don taylor and I think it was bmac. That he's happy. For the first time in his years in Vancouver his daughter has moved here and started school.

He has a NTC and is playing for the greatest city on earth. He'll retire a Canuck.

Lack played well vs the blues so he got the game vs the wild too. Lui will lead us to the playoffs this year.

I dunno why people are clamouring to trade Luo. With Luongo and Lack the Canucks have another awesome goalie tandem. It's a luxary that the Canucks don't need to get rid of yet.

I know you're being optimistic, but that was an entirely different game of hockey haha. Sure we can look at LA and see what they did, but they were a gritty team with an amazing goalie that suddenly learned how to win games after a coaching change. We need something to start clicking now, and if it doesn't, we may as well retool the rest of the season, get a higher pick, and hope for better luck next year.

We are a gritty team with amazing goaltending

Kes burr hansen higgy richardson tito kass booth ... pretty much everyone aside from the twins and Dalpe play with grit.

This team can win the cup if the coaching staff enables them with better style of play

We are a gritty team with amazing goaltending

Kes burr hansen higgy richardson tito kass booth ... pretty much everyone aside from the twins and Dalpe play with grit.

This team can win the cup if the coaching staff enables them with better style of play

I'm not claiming to be an expert at hockey, only been watching and playing for nearly fifty years, but certainly starting to think "style of play" is part of the problem. Defence first wins games, but Torts systems seem to be part of the problem. Is it a matter of players still getting used to his systems or ??? As has been stated by other posters, a better PP would go a long way.

I'm not claiming to be an expert at hockey, only been watching and playing for nearly fifty years, but certainly starting to think "style of play" is part of the problem. Defence first wins games, but Torts systems seem to be part of the problem. Is it a matter of players still getting used to his systems or ??? As has been stated by other posters, a better PP would go a long way.

Torts doesnt have rhe horses for a dynamic pp.Our top line shares a pass first mentality by design, style, previous coaching, and now due to lack of confidence. Our d lacks a legit offensive minded QB and the shots that come from there often miss the net. Lately those shots are more slap passes. There is no authority back there. No hoff. No salo. And edler/garrison sre hardly fill ins atm.

I have this itching idea at the back of my head that Luongo is in play right now for trade and they are doing everything they can to keep it quiet to avoid the same circus that happened last year.

Again, I have not seen anything posted about him specifically, but it would make sense if they are talking to teams about him that they don't want it public in case the talks don't result in an actual trade.

Why I think this?

Luongo's contract isn't the same problem at this deadline that it was last year when every GM was looking at the Cap reducing for 2013/14 and trying to figure out how to get their team under it.

He's been putting up really strong numbers this year and with Lack emerging as a solid NHL goalie, would they be once again trying to move him to another team as part of the overall rework?

Could he still wind up in Florida?

Just a thought!

reason why is because lack is undefeated against the blues and you ride your hot goal tender until he loses... watch lu will play in the classic against the sens...

Would it be funny we trade Luongo then go with lack and he crumbles after playing 6 -10 games in a row? I love lack but he's unproven and has had bad games before.. He's played a few in a row where he looked horrible. I was expecting Luongo in net yesterday

Either blind or wearing out-of-focus Lu goggles. Even Henrik stated that while you would expect a rookie goalie to have a bad game, he hasn't. HE has been rock solid against even the top competition and his numbers prove it. Can he do it forever, not likely but LU's performance the last two years has trailed his back-ups. Get over it.

Archived