The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Bo Horvat over rated?

I explained it in my first post. If you look at how they play, and the tools they have. Horvat doesn't have the same tools. You would know this is you watched them play.

ya no kidding they dont have the same tools. toews and bergeron are full grown men playing for stanley cup contenders... thets why we develop prospects. if they had these tools to start thwy wouldnt be prospects, that would be called a roster player.

Uhhhh, what?

Paragraph 1.) c'mon I mean, what I'm gonna do just all of the sudden just jump up and grind my feet in somebody's couch like it's something to do? Come on, I got a little more sense than that.

Paragraph 2.) Yeah, I remember grinding my feet into Eddie's couch.

+1

You. I like you.

Only because someone mentioned it, just like how someone mentioned that Horvat is going to be the next Kesler. Horvat doesn't have the speed, shot, size or Kesler, so how the hell is he going to be Kesler?

I'm comparing their attributes, not saying, he is going to be this type of player.

I remember when Kesler broke into the league and it was said then that his ceiling was as a third line center, likely never scoring more than 40 points in a season. He was an energy guy, a penalty killer and not really a top six guy. At Horvat's age, Kesler wasn't Kesler either.

I didn't read a single post in this thread, but I can answer the question just from the title and knowing CDC'land.

YES, he's overrated.

He's not in the NHL yet, but I bet you're all saying he's the next Lucic or Sakic, or something ridiculous...........so yes, he's overrated.

Everyone at CDC wants to over rate him. I don't watch enough junior hockey to see where he is at with players his own age. If I go by stats. Bo is right where he should be. What I realistically expect from him after 3 full seasons in the NHL. Is to play an important role on our team on the PP, PK and 15-18 hard minutes a game. All that while contributing 50 points plus. And hopefully he gets better with age and the point totals go up year after year .

ya no kidding they dont have the same tools. toews and bergeron are full grown men playing for stanley cup contenders... thets why we develop prospects. if they had these tools to start thwy wouldnt be prospects, that would be called a roster player.

Yeah, cause Jonathan Toews has absolutely no skill until he was 18, and became a NHL regular right?

For many dumb people on the board, but its what is expected. Watch the players play, and you'll know their attributes. Watch Kesler play, and you would have known his tools. There was a reason he was so highly touted, but people just read scouting reports about him being a 3rd liner. If you knew, his attributes and tools, it wouldn't be hard to tell that he could breakout.

It's like common sense. It's actually not as common as you think. You just don't learn and understand common sense, you are either born with it or not. It's a skill. Toews had elite skill in junior, and we all knew he translate. Horvat doesn't, so unless a magically wizard decides to throw "fairy dust" on him, he ain't getting it. There is a reason why Hockey IQ is such a highly rated quality. Like many attributes, you either born with it or not. It has nothing to do with development.

Anyone who thinks a random player, who sucks in junior will just magically turn into an elite player and gain elite attributes/skills out of no where is delusional. (Not referring to Horvat)

I'm done with this thread, too many people like children on this thread, who wants to defend their top prospects, hoping that they'll turn into the great one. People like, Chalky, who clearly are still in grade school, and lacks proper interpreter skills. I think the most funniest thing, is that he is completely off context, its like watching a pig chasing it's own tail.

I was mainly going by this guys post.

You clearly didnt read my post before, I said dont get your knickers in a knot I am not saying he is or will be as good as those three, I said He has the POTENTIAL to be. You say Horvat has Ryan O'Reilly potential, well Ryan O'Reilly is still a youngster himself, and has the same potential, he is having a fantastic year. And in my honest opinion his ceiling is through the roof. Only time will tell.

When it comes to my opinion on Toews,, to say Toews is not a generational player is unbelievable.

HE IS 25 YEARS OLD!

He is the youngest player to join the Triple Gold Club - Stanley Cup, World Championship Gold, Olympic Gold 2010

He has 2 Stanley Cups, and 2 Olympic golds

It is not like he was part of a good team and social loafed through it. He was the Captain and leader for both stanley cups, he won the Conn Smythe for his first in 09/10. Also the youngest captain to win this award, and second youngest player to win it second to only patrick roy.

He was awarded the best offensive player in the Olympic tournament 2010, he was the assistant captain for the recent 2014 olympic gold, looked to be the real leader on offence. He also scored a goal in both gold medal games.

He also has won 3 Jr gold medals, W U-17 in 05, two World Jr Golds were he was vital to their success in 06 and 07. Including his Shootout heroics.

But yah im sure,, Toews isnt going to be in the same leagues as generational talents by the end of his career..

I didn't read a single post in this thread, but I can answer the question just from the title and knowing CDC'land.

YES, he's overrated.

He's not in the NHL yet, but I bet you're all saying he's the next Lucic or Sakic, or something ridiculous...........so yes, he's overrated.

Not even close. Please start reading because NOBODY compared him to Sakic, let alone LUCIC :picard:

All people have done is compare him to other successful two-way forwards in the league like Richards, Bergeron, etc

Yeah, cause Jonathan Toews has absolutely no skill until he was 18, and became a NHL regular right?

For many dumb people on the board, but its what is expected. Watch the players play, and you'll know their attributes. Watch Kesler play, and you would have known his tools. There was a reason he was so highly touted, but people just read scouting reports about him being a 3rd liner. If you knew, his attributes and tools, it wouldn't be hard to tell that he could breakout.

It's like common sense. It's actually not as common as you think. You just don't learn and understand common sense, you are either born with it or not. It's a skill. Toews had elite skill in junior, and we all knew he translate. Horvat doesn't, so unless a magically wizard decides to throw "fairy dust" on him, he ain't getting it. There is a reason why Hockey IQ is such a highly rated quality. Like many attributes, you either born with it or not. It has nothing to do with development.

Anyone who thinks a random player, who sucks in junior will just magically turn into an elite player and gain elite attributes/skills out of no where is delusional. (Not referring to Horvat)

I'm done with this thread, too many people like children on this thread, who wants to defend their top prospects, hoping that they'll turn into the great one. People like, Chalky, who clearly are still in grade school, and lacks proper interpreter skills. I think the most funniest thing, is that he is completely off context, its like watching a pig chasing it's own tail.

I suggest with your attitude and based off your posts in this thread you should be done with CDC in general, "More than half of the people, who have posted, thinking they know something, don't know crap. " Especially after saying this then a few posts later saying "too many people like children on this thread"

I did not realize bursting onto the scene here (On a discussion board - where people discuss and share THEIR opinions and views) and saying we all dont know crap, was a mature adult thing to do? Basically belittling everyone here and then after saying we are he children?

You know what Rey I think you should just pack up and go! Just hop on your tricycle and just peddle away !

I explained it in my first post. If you look at how they play, and the tools they have. Horvat doesn't have the same tools. You would know this is you watched them play.

You don't compare a player with 0 NHL games to a Vet. He CAN be LIKE Bergeron or Toews. No one is saying he'll be better or exactly like them. He has the tools to play a similar game. No two players are the same, hell the Sedins play different styles.

The irony is that your post is completely rife with grammatical errors.

Really simple grammatical errors, by the way.

Another clear-cut case of the pot calling the kettle black.

Not only is the the OP speaking nonsense, but it seems a few people are actually agreeing with him while he is posting incorrect stats. Do you guys really think he will get 50 points at best? Why would we draft a good third line center with our 9th overall pick?

He will end up as a top 6 center who is really good defensively, similar to Bergeron.

50 points is a heck of a lot better than a third line center. Pretty sure thats average second line center offensive totals.

You look at the numbers on his team http://www.ontarioho...n/46/ls_team/14

He is fourth on his team in points. He is first in PP goals and only a +3. You don't get a minus for PK goals so on a team where Max DOmi is a +33 how can Horvat be a +3 only? He may be checking the other teams top forwards but he was supposed to be an offensive player first.

Watching the Knights game now (a small sample size I know) but there is not anything that really stands out.

I guess there are the intangibles but who in the history of the game was good player but had LOTS of intangibles? You don't want to give up on a prospect too soon but if trading him with Kes could fetch Johansen and Murray, I say go for it.

Take a look at the junior or college stats of some of the current NHL stars.The year after being drafted, Jonathan Toews (who plays a similar style to Horvat)was outscored by his team mate, some guy named Ryan Duncan, by 11 points and Mason Raymond scored just as many points as Toews that same year.Obviously this must mean that Ryan Duncan is better than Toews even though no one has ever heard of the guy and Mason Raymond is at least as good.

Have to agree with the people who say it's unfair to judge a guy until he gets into the NHL, and a few years in at that.

Personally I think the fans of any team can have a tendency to get a little too excited about their prospects. Are there a few solid ones that could turn out to be good scorers? Sure. I still think Hodgson was the best player this team could've had for the next 10-15 years and would have been of more value than guys like Schroeder, Horvat, Shinkaruk, Jensen, etc.

To be fair though, I also wasn't so sure the Sedins would ever produce very much and I don't think I was the only one.

Archived