The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks Trade Luongo to the Panthers

If this is the only move the Canucks make at the deadline I might join the #FireGillis movement, but honestly this looks like the first step in a bigger game. It's going to be an exciting 21 hours in Vancouver. Let's go steal Brodeur from under Minny's noses and truely complete the Schneider trade.

All this could have been avoided with a Stanley Cup win in 2011. The key pieces of that epic team are leaving Vancouver in a shroud of bitterness.

From where to where in the span of just a few years. Wow. It's going to take a while to adjust to following a team that has no potential to win anything of significance.

Risky trade, but if Lui was becoming a distraction or negatively affecting the team then it sadly had to be done and at least we got a decent return. Especially considering come Summer lui could have used his clause to push gillis's back to the wall and prolly would have gotten less in return

Scary to think our goalie future is in the hands of three very young swedish goalies, hey at least one of them has just got to be a stud!?

Prolly what MG thinks.

I will hold my Mike Gillis bashing until after the deadline with kesler and edler and we will see what happens

Wow! Just Wow! My favorite part of Lu's exit interveiw with those on hand in PHO....was to say how the support of the fans at the last...did not go un-noticed!

IF we couldn't get him that dream "Heritage Classic" send-off that most us would have scripted for him....and were deprived of by Tortorella....well...at least he knew THAT much!

Thanks for the memories Lu! We'll be seeing you more properly honoured in our arena - again later! Fare-well in FLA...& be sure to buy Timmy Turn-coat Thomas a brand-new tire-pump, will ya?

Just because you undervalue Luongo doesn't make this a "GREAT TRADE". Gillis got fleeced on Schneider and he got fleeced again with Luongo. Not to say Matthias and Markstrom can't become better than they are now, but as all players involved in this trade stand now, we didn't get nearly enough back as most people thought we would.

It's not a matter of undervaluing, it's just about what we could have realistically got for him. Luongo is a 35 year old goaltender who's under contract for the next eight years (I think), so expecting to get anything more than what we got is not realistic at all. I was obviously exaggerating when I said that I would trade him for a 7th round pick (I thought you could've picked up on that), but my point was that the benefit of trading Luongo is not only the return we get, but also the fact that "controversy" would be over with.

So yeah, it is a great trade. I would be interested in hearing what you expected to get in return - after all, we got "fleeced" didn't we?

We end up trading Luongo and Scheider for a first round pick (Horvat) Matthias, and Markstrom. If this doesn't show that Gillis is a complete incompetent I don't know what will. G. waited far too long to move Luongo, and didn't get remotely enough for Scheider. (He also didn't get nearly enough for CH.)

- I wish our owner would wake up long enough to dump this incompetent... who should never (never) have been hired.

It's a good thing. That contract is now gone. We can move on, he can move on, hopefuly Markstrom is a wizard in the making.

We got rid of a soon to be old goaltender with a stupid contract, a bit of salary retention and a non-roster contract player for an NHL player, and a pretty good prospect goalie.

This was a solid deal. It's not a fleecing like I think CDC wants from every trade, but it was solid.

Just because you undervalue Luongo doesn't make this a "GREAT TRADE". Gillis got fleeced on Schneider and he got fleeced again with Luongo. Not to say Matthias and Markstrom can't become better than they are now, but as all players involved in this trade stand now, we didn't get nearly enough back as most people thought we would.

Just because you overvalue what goalies are getting in return on trades doesn't make this a "fleece" either ;)

Gillis got fair return for a promising but unproven goalie in a crap year with a new CBA, shrinking cap and goalie demanding a trade in a deep draft.

Now he also got a promising, young, big C and a a promising, young goalie for an aging albeit Allstar goalie who has desperately wanted out for a couple years. We got younger, bigger and freed up cap space while making Lu happy.

Again fair.

This makes absolutely no sense for Florida. We dominate them. We get a great young goalie prospect and a great young and big 3rd line center for an aging goalie

How so?

Lou arrives to sell tickets with a cap hit under $5 mill for a star goalie.

Florida clears a roster spot for their up and coming premium prospect centers; Shore, Howden, Barkov, Huberdeau, Bjugstad. Some of whom have been playing out of position, or not had chances even where capable.

Good trade for Florida.

Archived