The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks Trade Luongo to the Panthers

Was running on the treadmill at the gym when this news flashes across the screen. *fell off treadmill. Massive bruise on my shin*

Good luck to Lu! He had to go. This gong show was out of control 2 years ago. Too bad Schneids is gone, the owner/management don't have a clue, the coach is garbage and Canucks have 2 unproven goalies.

Life of a Nucks fan :(

I will laugh my butt off if Markstrom/Lack win the Jennings trophy sometime in the next 2-3 years playing behind a Torts system.

I was hoping for a Lack Lehner Ericsson Swedish triandem but was prepared to move Luo for a comparable return to what MG got, and then turn around and pay the price for a guy like Lehner.

I didn't think the Panthers would be willing to move Markstrom and am a bit surprised that they did - even with Luo coming there to carry the bulk.

In the end, I don't think anyone could have asked for more than Markstrom, Matthias (who imo is better than is generally being represented and will surprise people) as well as some cap space.

That is the kind of return we were asking for (and getting generally flamed for all along) by people expecting scarcely more than a cap dump.

Idiots on TSN and now wtf is PJdips#at doing on SN? are trying to spin this as a fail - bu the irrational hater trolls deep inside them is shining through.

They appear quite upset, which imo is a great sign - they're disappointed that Gillis came out of this with

Horvat, Matthias, Markstrom - and Lack and Ericsson.

They moved the unmoveable.

Trolls will be trolls.

didn't get enough back in return... should have sent him to toronto...

In case you forgot, we tried that last trade deadline. Remember Scrivens and a 2nd was the rumour floating around? How'd that work out?

People don't seem to understand that M. is a UFA - not to mention he's a third line center at best (and on a bad team at that).

Except he's not a UFA. He's under contract one more year after this (this applies to Markstrom as well).

I'd suggest you get your facts in order but I'm already well aware you have no intention of doing anything other than living up to your username. Back on ignore you go.

I think if there's a trade to be made that makes sense, he'll make it. I don't think he's going to make trades willy nilly just so he can say "see CDC, I made bold moves for you".

No kidding, today is proof enough that even if he does make a move people will slam him for not getting more back.

Here's what we can say to all the people freaking out over very little today: Gillis is going to continue being an NHL GM and doing what an NHL GM does on a daily basis. Meanwhile, you can continue to choose between being a fan of any level or moving on to another team if your opinion of the state of affairs doesn't match what you think it should be.

------------

As a few others have said, this is a fair deal. I would have liked a bit more for Schneider, but that was a reasonable deal as well. People complained Gillis wasn't living up to his bold moves quote (made years ago) and ignore the bold decisions he has made, well here's another.

Here's a write up by Kevin Woodley (@KevinInGoal) on Markstrom last summer, detailing his style and improvements:

While it may be easy to look at a goalie regarded for years as the “best outside the NHL” by many and wonder why a goalie drafted 31st in 2008 still needs a minor-league clause after three years playing the North American pro game, it seems it is also too easy to forget Markstrom is still just 23 years old, and the adjustment from playing in his native Sweden has been significant.

The good news is Markstrom is making that adjustment. Praised for his patience and waiting out shooters before committing to his save selection during a junior career that saw him playing in Sweden’s top pro league as a teen, he was arguably too patient his first year in the American Hockey League, with too many pucks going through his big frame before he could close all the holes.

Watching him three years later, Markstrom had clearly made an adjustment, and found a better balance between simply closing those holes and letting his size work for him in more situations, but without losing too much of that reactive ability that defined his success in those early years. As most goalies can tell you, it’s not an easy balance to strike, and likely one that will require more time yet to perfect at the NHL level. InGoal had a chance to talk to Markstrom about that evolution last season.

“Obviously when I played in Sweden I played a little more aggressive, and it was a bigger rink so I could get away with it,” Markstrom said. “Right now I am just trying to learn. You don’t want over-movement, because when you have over-movement there are going to be holes in your body and five-hole and under your arms.”

Those holes are exacerbated when your body is as big – and limbs as long – as Markstrom.

“Exactly,” he continued. “So I am trying to have less movement, but at the same time I have a desperation in my game and I need that. So I am just trying to mix that. I don’t really think I have like huge rules, but I just have a couple within the crease and working within the posts and what to do, but at the end of the day it’s stop the puck and try to have fun.”

Lots more at the link.

Got more than what I expected for Luongo, considering what was offered last June.

Markstrom is only 24 years old, and is/was their best prospect a few years ago. Could still turn out into a top goalie, especially playing in a tight defensive team.

Matthias is pretty much what you see is what you get. A solid defensive forward, who is versatile.

Can someone explain why I can't click on anyone's name or see status update? .....am I like semi-banned?! or is it just down.

Back on topic, I Iike the trade a lot. Markstrom is an absolute monster and knows Lack from Sweden. We now have one of the youngest and most INEXPENSIVE goalie tandems in the league.

The most intriguing thing IMO is we now have a 3rd line centre and have NO NEED for Sutter, thus making offers for Kesler much more attractive.

P.S: Glad Lu is now happily at home and our soap-opera is finally over.

I'll take a 2mill duo of Lack/Markstrom (ages: 26, 24)

over a 7mill duo of Luongo/Thomas (Ages: 35,39)

ANY DAY OF THE WEEK!!!

CDC is on performance mode right now. Is for when the board is really busy.

Forgot to say, for all the heat Gillis has got in this market (deservedly so). He pulled the heist of the century today. Yes, timing and scenario are bad.

But at a root level - when you can trade an unhappy 35 yr old goaltender (with a NTC), who has a contract like that, has been declining (via EV Sv%) for 2 seasons now - you're a god in some peoples minds.

The Toronto Media every day last season I would hear them say Luongo's contract was immovable. And they would grill Gillis, and they would say things like "take whatever you can get" & "no one would take him for free".

NOW suddenly its full backtrack mode, and they are grilling Gillis for the return & the whole bit.

Florida fans are pretty happy with this trade as well.

Looks like they are not too high on Markstrom and think he will be at best case scenario, a late bloomer and see Matthias as a 4th line center.

Van fans aren`t happy because we traded both Schneider and Lu but pretty much only have Horvat, Matthias and Markstrom to show for it.

I think best case scenario is to hope that this trade is a win win for both teams because at this point, Florida might have the edge.

MG digging the hole and putting himself in this position and then getting minimal value in return IMO is no reason to pat him on the back. The way this has all been handled, let alone the return is reason enough to have security remove MG from the building.

All in all though I am glad it has finally come to an end and Lou is going "home" with this in his rearview. The whole situation has been handled poorly and will not look good on MG's resume.

I think this is a good deal for the timing. Had we tried to trade him 2 years ago, or at least kept our mouths shut about it last year - we'd have Bjustad.

Matthias has potential. Markstrom will be a solid backup. Between the two somebody will step it up.

Good for Lu to go home. FLA will appreciate him more than we ever did. I hope we have more trades coming. With 2 young goalies we need more front-line depth. If Phili hadn't taken MacDonald we could have given them Kesler + Edler for half their team

The Toronto Media every day last season I would hear them say Luongo's contract was immovable. And they would grill Gillis, and they would say things like "take whatever you can get" & "no one would take him for free".

NOW suddenly its full backtrack mode, and they are grilling Gillis for the return & the whole bit.

yeah the hypocrisy is hilarious.

those idiots were suggesting that the Canucks would have to take Komisarek or other cap dumps in order to move Luongo.

they trolled and trolled Luongo and Gillis endlessly.

and now they're suggesting Gillis should have gotten more than a premier goaltending prospect and a very solid two way tweener center - both with extremely reasonable contract terms - and some cap space.

as good as anyone could have expected - or better.

their troll vision completely trumps their weak reasoning.

But I'd expect nothing else from them tbh.

If anything, I think they're trying way to hard to rescue their years of trolling on this issue - but really should be eating some crow - big servings of it - because not only Luongo got what he wanted, but the Canucks and MG got two good assets and some cap space out of this deal.

Luongo and the Canucks 2

Eastern media trolls 0

And to top it off, Lack is putting up Schneider like numbers this year .924 - it's pretty hard to expect more than that - and he was a free agent signing of Gillis' - an utter steal.

If that's not enough, Eriksson started this season slowly behind a not particularly great Utica team, but has steadily improved his numbers to a very strong .914 sv% in the A.

Lack, Markstrom, Eriksson, Horvat, and Matthias at a combined 3.7 cap hit

vs Luongo and Schneider at 9.3 million combined cap hit.

Meanwhile I'm enjoying all the dumbass noise that the professional trolls are making.

Couldn't be happier.

As if that's not enough icing - Gillis also managed to get this done in a timely enough fashion, and add a young mid range center in the process - so it really gives them some flexibility if and when they deal Kesler, knowing what the return is on the guy that had to go first.

Look, Mathias is a good player. 26 is not old, and he's big. The Canucks do want to get younger and bigger.

But he should not be mistaken as a blue chip stud in the making. He's not that level of talent. And as noted already, he'll be UFA at the end of next season. That also makes him not a long term solution. Generally thats desired when trying to build for the future.

If we keep Kesler for now, he's a good upgrade on Dalpe for current needs. Or Schroeder?Instantly our 3rd, perhaps 2knd line center, which ain't bad. If we trade Kesler, he's even better insurance that we do not have to rely so heavily on any young center who comes in return. Or press Horvat, Gaunce, etc. next year. A shrewd fill player of quality, but not really part of the rebuild.

On a side note; I wonder if either of Schroeder or Dalpe are moved at the deadline / summer? Or who wins that last center roster spot for the rest of the year...

I agree, looking at the general blueprint he's currently a quality stepping stone for our youth movement.

It's also entirely possible we re-sign him next year and transition him to 3W or 4C as the younger guys surpass him for a very deep team moving forward. There's always more than one avenue ;)

You guys are going to love Markstrom...

He's one tall SoB. Him and Lack are really tall and have really good athleticism. I will really miss Luo but I guess we are good at yanking Florida's Goalies. Lets hope Markstrom is half the goalie for us Luongo was. Best of luck Luo, you were the goalie we needed but not the one we deserved.

Archived