The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jacob Markstrom | #25 | G

Honeydew

JB has publicly stated that Demko is the Canucks goalie of the future.  So HE will be protected in the Seattle expansion draft.

Therefore no NMC for Markstrom in any offer from the Canucks .  That is a done deal.

Really the only way Marky stays here is if he signs a 1 year deal so Seattle can't poach him.  Otherwise he is gone either as a UFA or to Seattle.

My conclusion is Markstrom has played his last game as a Canuck.

My hope is JB works with Markstrom's agent to find a destination and trade his rights before Oct 9 to recover a pick for us. Might happen if Marky wants to get ahead of the curve for teams bidding on UFA goalies Oct 9 and give himself a good chance of getting the destination he prefers.

A lot of teams are deciding that negotiations aren’t going well and announced that players will be testing free agency.  We haven’t yet, so maybe that is a good sign.

On the other hand, there really needs to be a deadline out in place as we can’t be on the sidelines of trade possibilities waiting to see if we can sign him.  The draft starts in less than 3 weeks, so I would say if Markstrom doesn’t sign by the end of this week we have to move on to other options and focusing on our other free agents.

The trade market is going to burst open soon and not wait for the end of the playoffs.  We have to be ready to be part of it, if not leading.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

For what it's worth..... (barf)

Bastards. Guaranteed Marky's agent leaked this. Will get interesting for sure. Comes down to what Marky wants for AAV but if he wants in the 8 per range, does that leave room for the Flames to sign Hall? Even if they get rid of hockey gnome?

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, rekker said:

Bastards. Guaranteed Marky's agent leaked this. Will get interesting for sure. Comes down to what Marky wants for AAV but if he wants in the 8 per range, does that leave room for the Flames to sign Hall? Even if they get rid of hockey gnome?

Eklund. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

For what it's worth..... (barf)

I don’t think it should be a surprise, they won’t be the only ones.  We aren’t even remotely in the running if Markstrom wants to max out his opportunity.

Where it doesn’t really follow from the article is that it doesn’t push the price up for us to sign Marky.  Benning should and probably absolutely has a walk away number.  That is why it has been 9 months of negotiation without a deal.  It doesn’t matter how much above that walk away number it ends up being.

Benning’s recent comments lead me to believe the walk away number has to do mainly with term and a NMC.  He wants two good goalies and said Demko will be their goalie of the future sooner rather than later.  Does that mean a 3 year offer with no NMC?  Probably something like that.

• Vintage 1

15 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

Nonsense from Eklund.  Markstrom is untouchable until Oct 9. Big interest means nothing. It's a lie.  No team other than the Canucks can talk to Markstrom until the 9th so this is just spin.

Oh, I wish I was still as naive as you are.

Markstrom’s camp is certainly aware of all the teams that have interest.  There are hundreds of ways to get the messaging across without getting caught for tampering.

Look at all the myriad of long term contracts with complicated structures that get done within an hour of free agency opening each year.

Teams very specifically regularly publicly leak interest in players.  We, and the entire hockey world, knew that Benning was targeting Myers for months before we signed him as a very recent example.

43 minutes ago, Provost said:

Markstrom’s camp is certainly aware of all the teams that have interest.  There are hundreds of ways to get the messaging across without getting caught for tampering.

Look at all the myriad of long term contracts with complicated structures that get done within an hour of free agency opening each year.

Teams very specifically regularly publicly leak interest in players.  We, and the entire hockey world, knew that Benning was targeting Myers for months before we signed him as a very recent example.

there's nothing new here. Of course Marky has teams interested, he has at least 1/2 a dozen spots to choose from if he wants. 

It still doesn't change the Canucks internal dynamics. There's $ and term that makes sense here, and I'm sure other teams will offer more. If they do, and he wants that,  I say thank you to Marky and wish him well. 

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

26 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

there's nothing new here. Of course Marky has teams interested, he has at least 1/2 a dozen spots to choose from if he wants. 

It still doesn't change the Canucks internal dynamics. There's $ and term that makes sense here, and I'm sure other teams will offer more. If they do, and he wants that,  I say thank you to Marky and wish him well. 

Money, term, the ED and no 'goalie of the future' immediately crawling up his arse either.

I honestly don't see how he comes back given those realities. Doesn't really matter how badly we may want him back or even how badly he'd like to be back. There's simply too many other factors pushing him out.

Edited by aGENT

1 hour ago, Robert Long said:

Not sure why you quoted my comment and then responded with something that had a absolutely nothing to do with my post?

Someone said that there was no way anyone could know of or report on Calgary’s interest because the team can’t talk to the player until after free agency starts.  I just responded that is objectively not true.

That has nothing to do with whether Markstrom signs here or not.  I literally posted my thoughts on signing Markstrom  a couple posts before and you are just echoing most of them

Edited by Provost

15 minutes ago, Provost said:

Not sure why you quoted my comment and then responded with something that had a absolutely nothing to do with my post?

Someone said that there was no way anyone could know of or report on Calgary’s interest because the team can’t talk to the player until after free agency starts.  I just responded that is objectively not true.

That has nothing to do with whether Markstrom signs here or not.  I literally posted my thoughts on signing Markstrom  a couple posts before and you are just echoing most of them

i was just basically agreeing with you... is that offensive now too? :lol:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Money, term, the ED and no 'goalie of the future' immediately crawling up his arse either.

I honestly don't see how he comes back given those realities. Doesn't really matter how badly we may want him back or even how badly he'd like to be back. There's simply too many other factors pushing him out.

totally agree. No offence meant. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Provost said:

Who's being naive partner?  Eklund writes big interest from CALGARY because he know it will create the biggest splash among Canuck readers.  Markstrom going to our biggest inter divisional rival would be an awful result for Canuck fans and Eklund knows it.

If he wrote Big Interest from Buffalo it wouldn't have anywhere near the impact.  It is baiting the fan base pure and simple.

8 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Who's being naive partner?  Eklund writes big interest from CALGARY because he know it will create the biggest splash among Canuck readers.  Markstrom going to our biggest inter divisional rival would be an awful result for Canuck fans and Eklund knows it.

If he wrote Big Interest from Buffalo it wouldn't have anywhere near the impact.  It is baiting the fan base pure and simple.

Fwiw Pat Steinberg says that the Flames absolutely covet Markstrom.  He's apparently also very good friends with Lindholm.  He talks of how the Flames are still searching for that number 1 goalie since Kiprusoff retired.  

At the 7:20 mark.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/650/the-program/pat-steinberg-flames-interest-jacob-markstrom/

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Eklund is late to the game here and is just reporting what has been out there via dozens of sources already.

Calgary is one of the organizations that is really high on Markstrom, both Alberta teams are said to be interested.

That is also aside from the false point you made about not being able to know if a team is interested in a UFA before free agency opens.  That is objectively false, your particular aversion to Eklund notwithstanding.  “Tampering” before free agency for higher end players is the norm....

not an exception, and veritably not impossible as you suggested.

Edited by Provost

I don't think it's so much about Markstrom wanting to get big money, but more so term and security, something Benning can't really offer him. At his age, his best bet may be to sign a nice long term deal with another team on the rise, who will need good goaltending.