The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mike Gillis Should Stay

Jiggs50

Not doing much is still better than making some of the worst trades in the history of the organization though.

HAHAH! Really? You actually think Gillis has done any deals that compare to the Neely debacle? Or Rick Vaive for Tiger Williams? Or Mike Peca and Jay McKee for a Mogilny? Or trading Martin Gelinas and Kirk McLean for scraps?

Nonis made some crappy trades too:

- The 2nd that became Wayne Simmonds & a 4th for Brent Sopel

- The 2nd that became Jonas Enroth for Mika Noronen, who played 170 minutes for us

- Matt Cooke for Matt Pettinger, who we later bought out

I want to see him back just to see him fail one more time at bringing in a top 6 player. The single thing he's really needed to do for 4-5 years running now.

Took team to the finals (added key pieces in Torres, Erhoff, Malhotra, Samuelsson..) - fracked it up shortly after
Dan Hamhuis - good signing
Tanev - great signing which he'll probably lose this year because of the Edler signing
Eddie Lack and Joackim Ericksson - Lack has been not bad
Dane Fox signing - nothing yet
Signed the majority of the core to bargain deals before cup run - absolutely useless as he's wasted more money then he's ever saved
Drafted some gems (Jensen, Horvat, Corrado, Cederholm..) - not really that difficult - none have had a meaninful impact yet
Traded Luongo and that Contract (an accomplishment in it's self) - he had too because he's an idiot

In reality he did the best GM job ever in his first 3 years for the Canucks to get us to the 2011 finals. It's been all downhill from there with one mistake after another ... namely no second line or RW capable of slotting in on the first.

Schneider

Hodgson horribly mis-timed

Eating Lu's salary

You named two trades and one situation

But you're absolutely right man. I mean, Neely for Pederson, Aucoin for Cloutier, Mogilny for Peca and Mckee, the trade that sent a Martin Gelinas in his prime and much loved Kirk McLean for 3 players that played a total of 38 games for us and the trade that saw Bure leave don't even hold a candle to these two trades.

Yay! Another Gillis thread!

I think I've made my stance on Gillis, Torts, the Sedins, Burrows, Edler and anything else about the current situation pretty clear in all the other threads on the subjects, so I won't bother doing it again.

Yay! Another Gillis thread!

I think I've made my stance on Gillis, Torts, the Sedins, Burrows, Edler and anything else about the current situation pretty clear in all the other threads on the subjects, so I won't bother doing it again.

So why post this when it didn't add anything to the thread?

Pffft. jk

Most of the good things he's done were in the early part of his time here. Even the best GM's have to go someday when change needs to be made. It's not that he's not capable of doing a good job, but as our organization goes through a time of change, I think it would be best to move forward with a new strategy.

This is just my opinion. Everyone has their own perspectives. So before you guys explode just remember that. Boy is this going to be controversial.

Gillis has never really been allowed to make the moves he wants. He got hired to add pieces to a team that had it's core intact and in their primes. I believe he never got to build the team he wanted. He got forced into trading Hodgson. The Luongo saga of course didn't play out as he had anticipated.

Anyway I like to look at both sides. Every general manager in the league makes mistakes. They have to take risks to succeed. Here's a look at the positives..

Took team to the finals (added key pieces in Torres, Erhoff, Malhotra, Samuelsson..)

Dan Hamhuis

Tanev

Eddie Lack and Joackim Ericksson

Dane Fox signing

Signed the majority of the core to bargain deals before cup run

Drafted some gems (Jensen, Horvat, Corrado, Cederholm..)

Traded Luongo and that Contract (an accomplishment in it's self)

I'm missing some but Gillis has done some really good things here. Yeah we have been crappy for a couple of years but Gillis has us stocked for the future. Our prospect pool has never looked better. I really believe we will be back in the playoffs next year. Our teams future is exciting.

The Negatives..

Let Torres and Erhoff walk

Booth

Ballard

Didn't get enough for goalies

Garrison?? (Overpaid imo)

Bad timing for Hodgson trade.

Etc etc

You get the good with the bad. I say give Gillis another year. Let him clean up his own mess. If we bring in another GM it's going to take him months just evaluating this team. Let Gillis see this through!

It seems the negatives outweigh the positives. He wasnt forced to trade Hodgeson, he just traded him and got fleeced as usual.

I want to see him back just to see him fail one more time at bringing in a top 6 player. The single thing he's really needed to do for 4-5 years running now.

Took team to the finals (added key pieces in Torres, Erhoff, Malhotra, Samuelsson..) - fracked it up shortly after

Dan Hamhuis - good signing

Tanev - great signing which he'll probably lose this year because of the Edler signing

Eddie Lack and Joackim Ericksson - Lack has been not bad

Dane Fox signing - nothing yet

Signed the majority of the core to bargain deals before cup run - absolutely useless as he's wasted more money then he's ever saved

Drafted some gems (Jensen, Horvat, Corrado, Cederholm..) - not really that difficult - none have had a meaninful impact yet

Traded Luongo and that Contract (an accomplishment in it's self) - he had too because he's an idiot

In reality he did the best GM job ever in his first 3 years for the Canucks to get us to the 2011 finals. It's been all downhill from there with one mistake after another ... namely no second line or RW capable of slotting in on the first.

We actually do have a 2nd line an we built this year and can be lethal when healthy

Higgy-Kes-Santo

I have no idea to what your saying about no 2nd line

This is just my opinion. Everyone has their own perspectives. So before you guys explode just remember that. Boy is this going to be controversial.

Gillis has never really been allowed to make the moves he wants. He got hired to add pieces to a team that had it's core intact and in their primes. I believe he never got to build the team he wanted. He got forced into trading Hodgson. The Luongo saga of course didn't play out as he had anticipated.

Anyway I like to look at both sides. Every general manager in the league makes mistakes. They have to take risks to succeed. Here's a look at the positives..

Took team to the finals (added key pieces in Torres, Erhoff, Malhotra, Samuelsson..)

Dan Hamhuis

Tanev

Dane Fox signing

I'm missing some but Gillis has done some really good things here. Yeah we have been crappy for a couple of years but Gillis has us stocked for the future. Our prospect pool has never looked better. I really believe we will be back in the playoffs next year. Our teams future is exciting.

The Negatives..

Booth

Ballard

Etc etc

You get the good with the bad. I say give Gillis another year. Let him clean up his own mess. If we bring in another GM it's going to take him months just evaluating this team. Let Gillis see this through!

Took the team to the finals ? Torres a key piece ? in what making our rep even worse around the league ?

Screwed with Malhotra's career

Hodgson' dad traded Hodgson bro

Signed the majority of the core to bargain deals ? WTF ?

Erhoff wanted out so he got shipped out

Luongo are you serious ? In regards to this Gillis is the biggest f..k up in the league.

His massive NTC spree ....ETC ETC LOL

Dan Hamhuis

Tanev

Dane Fox signing

The Negatives..

Booth

Ballard

Etc etc

Gillis takes a lot of heat for Aquillini moves, that's why they're paying him the big bucks. We don't know the behind the scenes goings on but I think the Aquillini's have more to do with some of Gillis' seemingly poor moves than Gillis does. That's just speculation on my part.

I've cooled off after the trade dead line and things don't look all that bad at all. Jensen really helps.

LOL|....if you think Gillis is the worst.You have not watched any other team in the league.

For sure not the AHLberta teams or the Maple Chuckles or the Islanders not to mention others.

Gillis may not be the best but he is in the top 15 of the league. I think more realistically Gilles is top 10

Took the team to the finals ? Torres a key piece ? in what making our rep even worse around the league ?

Screwed with Malhotra's career

Hodgson' dad traded Hodgson bro

Signed the majority of the core to bargain deals ? WTF ?

Erhoff wanted out so he got shipped out

Luongo are you serious ? In regards to this Gillis is the biggest f..k up in the league.

His massive NTC spree ....ETC ETC LOL

Torres took out Joe Thornton and Brent Seabrook, pretty key.

Erik Johnson's stick screwed Malhotra's career.

Agreed.

Ehrhoff was blinded by greed.

To get a bargain you have to give out NTC's. Luongo at 7.5-8m LOL no thanks!

As long as he keeps draft picks and doesnt trade them away for guys like Roy, im ok with him. He drafts ok, and his trades and signings have been hit or miss. He didnt trade Kesler for scraps thank god. If Horvat and Shinkaruk turn into good NHL'ers hes looking pretty good. Jensen seems to have alleviated a lot of the Gillis hate for now.

That was a bad signing, but I raise you Sundin @ 10M per season,

Luo @ too much for too long, and

Burrows @ Kesler money.

Sundin played half a season for $5mil. We had the cap space. He wasn't that bad. Next?

Luongo's contract was fine until the NHL screwed the Canucks via the CBA after the fact. Next?

Burrows doesn't make Kesler money now and Kesler's next contract will be a lot more. Next?

Oh that's it. Hey, welcome to CDC. I see you've quickly hopped onboard the hatewagon.

Archived