The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

I hate our management group. Although I dont blame Price for taking that stupid large contract, it proves he's a sellout and he was full of sh** when he said he just wants to win and doesn't care about money. He went to the last place team in the AE and he "just wants to win?" 

I wouldn't want him here for that much money for 7 years. That's crazy. He lost a lot of fame here, not that he cares.

I did call this happening long before Boston was a favourite to sign him. I just knew it.

Well both the Jays and Sox are managed by morons apparently.

Price isn't worth that.   You saw it in the playoffs - good major league hitters can handle the hard stuff.  Is he a good enough pitcher to maintain his dominance as his hard stuff fails to overpower hitters?  I don't think so.  I wasn't impressed with his mental game in the playoffs - I thought he resorted to throwing too much, and lost his ability to keep hitters off balance / questioning - and those lapses cost him big time.  If he had earned a reputation as a big game pitcher, maybe - but the term is too long and the numbers too big imo. I personally wouldn't have gone there.  

But I probably wouldn't have gone the Chavez, Happ route either lol. 

I feel for guys like EE and JB....they deserve better imo.

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, oldnews said:

Well both the Jays and Sox are managed by morons apparently.

Price isn't worth that.   You saw it in the playoffs - good major league hitters can handle the hard stuff.  Is he a good enough pitcher to maintain his dominance as his hard stuff fails to overpower hitters?  I don't think so.  I wasn't impressed with his mental game in the playoffs - I thought he resorted to throwing too much, and lost his ability to keep hitters off balance / questioning - and those lapses cost him big time.  If he had earned a reputation as a big game pitcher, maybe - but the term is too long and the numbers too big imo. I personally wouldn't have gone there.  

But I probably wouldn't have gone the Chavez, Happ route either lol. 

I feel for guys like EE and JB....they deserve better imo.

I agree that Price isn't worth all that jack for being a proven playoff flunky.

Though I am little more bullish on the Jays rotation. If Stroman takes the next step, he is the Jays ace. Hopefully Estrada continues to pitch well so the back end of the rotation is any combo of Dickey, Chavez and Happ. It doesn't look like a cavernous drop off from what the Jays had up until the trade deadline last season. Add the chance that Sanchez could be a starter at some point and if that experiment works out, the Jays will have a solid rotation.

9 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

I think they feel they might owe Saunders a fresh season or at least see where he is at after tearing up his knee on a sprinkler in Dunedin.

Saunders value has to be a new low after this last non-season for him.

Though I liked the trade for him, when we traded an underachieving pitcher for a positional need. An underachieving pitcher named JA freaking Happ.

&^@# this off-season, lol.

I won't be suprised to find out we traded back for Adam Lind, or something along those lines.

Edited by g_bassi13
  • Upvote 1

It's being rumored that Eric Wedge is going to be hired in some capacity with the Jays. Another Cleveland connection. Wedge could take over for Gibbons if he's let go.

@Ken_Rosenthal Clarification on Wedge: Role with #BlueJays, if hired, would not necessarily be in front office. Would be in organization in some capacity.

@Ken_Rosenthal  Sources: Eric Wedge a candidate to become part of #BlueJays’ front office after team names new GM. Managed under Shapiro with #Indians.

5 hours ago, the last outlaw said:

It's being rumored that Eric Wedge is going to be hired in some capacity with the Jays. Another Cleveland connection. Wedge could take over for Gibbons if he's let go.

@Ken_Rosenthal Clarification on Wedge: Role with #BlueJays, if hired, would not necessarily be in front office. Would be in organization in some capacity.

@Ken_Rosenthal  Sources: Eric Wedge a candidate to become part of #BlueJays’ front office after team names new GM. Managed under Shapiro with #Indians.

Couldnt be any plainer..Shapiro hires his crony from Cleveland and looks like Gibby is in the crosshairs.  This guy is actually making me dislike the team.

In other news..more Shapiro medling?

FOX Sports' Jon Morosi reports that the former Jays general manager had intended to offer the newly minted Boston Red Sox ace a deal and began with the groundwork back in August, before the appointment of new president and CEO Mark Shapiro.

Anthopoulos, of course, declined a five-year extension offer in late October when it became apparent that he wouldn't be afforded the same autonomy under Shapiro that he had under the outgoing Paul Beeston. Price, 31, agreed to a seven-year, $217 million deal with the Jays' American East rivals on Monday.

Morosi notes that Price did have genuine interest in returning to the Blue Jays. As TSN's Rick Westhead reported on Monday, the Jays never offered Price a contract.

Edited by ShakyWalton

I just what to touch up on the "committing to Price for 7 years" argument. Yes, Price will eventually decline, just like most athletes do when they get up there in age and I say most, because not all do. I'm going to go back to one of my earlier post and use Randy Johnson as an example. He was still a dominate pitcher, when he was 40. He won a WS and two Cy Youngs back-to-back, at ages 37 and 38. I could see Price have a similar path as the Big Unit, and still be dominate at the tailend of his contract. If not, he would still be at least a good number two guy, in the rotation. 

• Upvote 1

Navarro headed to the South Side.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2595413-dioner-navarro-to-white-sox-latest-contract-details-comments-and-reaction

And Shaky, what makes this crap worse for me is that I don't like Eric wedge lol. I hate those handlebars. What I don't get is why Shapiro is looking at bringing over some staff from Cleveland. Sure there's familiarity, stability, comfort, whatever... but it's not exactly "working" down there, so what's going to make it different up here?

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

Navarro headed to the South Side.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2595413-dioner-navarro-to-white-sox-latest-contract-details-comments-and-reaction

And Shaky, what makes this crap worse for me is that I don't like Eric wedge lol. I hate those handlebars. What I don't get is why Shapiro is looking at bringing over some staff from Cleveland. Sure there's familiarity, stability, comfort, whatever... but it's not exactly "working" down there, so what's going to make it different up here?

Agreed..I really liked Navarro as a backup...he could slide into a starter very easily...seems today another story of the Jays cheaping out...

After taking a hit to their starting rotation it appears the Toronto Blue Jays are interested in signing relief pitcher Joakim Soria

Crasnick also reported recently that the Jays are not willing to spend a lot of money on relief help which may be a problem if they wish to sign the free agent.  

Soria, 31, posted a 2.53 ERA with a 3-1 record over 72 games last season with the Detroit Tigers and Pittsburgh Pirates. 

I didn't like Navarro and I dont like John Gibbons. If he gets replaced, I really couldnt care less who replaces him.

If thats what is making news lately for TBJ, then it's not that bad.

I still hate this new management group with a passion. Something tells me winning isn't priority #1. Im enjoying my new Bell services though tbh.

If Montreal gets a team before Toronto gets real owners, I may just have to jump ship. I know we will lose some of our offence in the coming years and it will make me sick.

Edited by Xbox

9 hours ago, shiznak said:

I just what to touch up on the "committing to Price for 7 years" argument. Yes, Price will eventually decline, just like most athletes do when they get up there in age and I say most, because not all do. I'm going to go back to one of my earlier post and use Randy Johnson as an example. He was still a dominate pitcher, when he was 40. He won a WS and two Cy Youngs back-to-back, at ages 37 and 38. I could see Price have a similar path as the Big Unit, and still be dominate at the tailend of his contract. If not, he would still be at least a good number two guy, in the rotation. 

Team option after 3 years so I think it's a fair deal and a mistake for letting him walk from Toronto's perspective.  Anyways it'll be moot because we all know the Giants will win it again, they do it every 2 years.