The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

17 minutes ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

...god do I love Bautista. His honesty and straight to the point mentality is what makes him so awesome.

I'm with him. Just like the Sedin's and Burrows, he's already taken a discount to play with the Jays. There were all due for raises, and now Joey Bats is due for a raise. 

Yeah, I agree with both of you. At first, it comes off kind of arrogant, but when you stop and think about it, Jose has always been a guy to tell it like it is. It might rub some people the wrong way, but personally, I find his honesty refreshing, especially in the world of professional sport where the norm is platitudes and cliches.

It makes sense to me to set a number and say take it or leave it.  Why bother with a lengthy negotiation and endless back and forth offers. Shapiro can take a look at Jose's ask and decide if it's in the club's best interest, or if he wants to save that money and go shopping for some pitching.

Well it's good to know that despite having the money to take on Bruce's contract, they still barely made a dent during the actual off-season.

Sucks that it seems Saunders wasn't healthy enough after all this time for a team to accept a deal for him. I hope that lack of health isn't a continued case for the Jays during the regular season. They could use him.

On the topic of JB's current contract and perceived discount...

when you look further into it, it wasn't a discount. AA was criticized at the time for giving a moderately rich contract with considerable term to a guy who hadn't shown prolonged success yet. JB turned the contract into a discount.

...why are we trading for a guy who strikes out a ton and who can barely hit? Bruce isn't the player he used to be and he has quite the cap hit.

Unbelievable how this team went from WS contenders that needed a few extra pieces to complete the roster to now this. Seems like there's a demolition going on and the team doesn't even want to carry on from where they left off from last post season. So sad and pathetic. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

...why are we trading for a guy who strikes out a ton and who can barely hit? Bruce isn't the player he used to be and he has quite the cap hit.

Unbelievable how this team went from WS contenders that needed a few extra pieces to complete the roster to now this. Seems like there's a demolition going on and the team doesn't even want to carry on from where they left off from last post season. So sad and pathetic. 

Bats days are numbered and so are EEs...these floons running the team now have no intention of signing either...now Saunders knows he was being offered for Bruce...what a joke these guys are...this team is destined for obscurity again...I cant stand Shapiro and his butt boy Atkins.

Supposedly reports say Jose wants 5 years $150m. 

Now if true, even the most loyal of Jays fans can see that as unreasonable. $30m a year? Just no way in hell. The last 6 years the Jays paid Jose only a mere $69.4m. That's as big of a bargain as any team will ever get. Because if you look back at it, those last 5-6 years, Jose was easily worth north of $200m. 

But what's happened has happened. And we live in the present. And hate to break it to ya, but JB $30m per over 5 years is a ridiculous amount to demand and say you will not negotiate over. JB's been my favourite Blue Jay and thank him for all he's done, and this very much can be the end of it. Just angry over the fact management and ownership wasted his time here and the one time they made a run last year, they decided to not add on from in and have taken huge steps back. 

21 minutes ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

Supposedly reports say Jose wants 5 years $150m. 

Now if true, even the most loyal of Jays fans can see that as unreasonable. $30m a year? Just no way in hell. The last 6 years the Jays paid Jose only a mere $69.4m. That's as big of a bargain as any team will ever get. Because if you look back at it, those last 5-6 years, Jose was easily worth north of $200m. 

But what's happened has happened. And we live in the present. And hate to break it to ya, but JB $30m per over 5 years is a ridiculous amount to demand and say you will not negotiate over. JB's been my favourite Blue Jay and thank him for all he's done, and this very much can be the end of it. Just angry over the fact management and ownership wasted his time here and the one time they made a run last year, they decided to not add on from in and have taken huge steps back. 

It seems to me Bats may be asking that much to get out...he knows these guys arent going to pay him that...he may get close elsewhere.

Don't know if Toronto will sign JB, however I like JB pointing out that the team/owners can afford it. He is smart enough to know that he is more than just the baseball team's asset. Rogers is a huge company and the tv, radio, broadcasting, live streaming should be considered along with ticket sales, parking and concession money. Share prices in Rogers are also tied in. This could lead to a much expanded "profit Sharing' deal.