The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

Anyone here feel that the Jays are going to be a buyer before the TDL? Pitching seems to be their greatest need, yes? (bullpen and maybe a starter)

regards,  G.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, gurn said:

Final Jays game from Buffalo, on now.

Nothing against Buffalo, but they can't get to TO soon enough.  I'm sick of games like today where there are more of the others teams fans at your home ball park.

• Upvote 1

Another disappointing loss for the Jays. To make things worse, both the Rays and Yankees won as well....

One point on Romano's outing: Joe Siddall mentioned it as well, but when consecutive batters are able to turn around 99 and 98 MPH high fastballs, they knew it was coming. JR has to throw more sliders.....

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Another disappointing loss for the Jays. To make things worse, both the Rays and Yankees won as well....

One point on Romano's outing: Joe Siddall mentioned it as well, but when consecutive batters are able to turn around 99 and 98 MPH high fastballs, they knew it was coming. JR has to throw more sliders.....

Didn't see the game, but I managed to find some game footage. I can't say that the problem was entirely with the choice of pitch. The first and last outs were from sliders.

The Martinez home run looked like a good piece of hitting on a ball that was borderline high and outside of the strike zone. It was pretty close to the placement of the pitch which Devers had popped up in the previous AB.

regards,  G.

4 hours ago, Gollumpus said:

Didn't see the game, but I managed to find some game footage. I can't say that the problem was entirely with the choice of pitch. The first and last outs were from sliders.

The Martinez home run looked like a good piece of hitting on a ball that was borderline high and outside of the strike zone. It was pretty close to the placement of the pitch which Devers had popped up in the previous AB.

regards,  G.

A good piece of hitting for sure. However, that was 99 MPH at the top of the zone. That should beat any Major League player, as long as he has a secondary pitch in his mind. Both Martinez and Renfroe were sitting fastball, which tells me that Romano hadn't used the slider enough to keep them guessing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

A good piece of hitting for sure. However, that was 99 MPH at the top of the zone. That should beat any Major League player, as long as he has a secondary pitch in his mind. Both Martinez and Renfroe were sitting fastball, which tells me that Romano hadn't used the slider enough to keep them guessing.

Yeah, I haven't seen anything of the at bat except that one pitch so no idea what type of pitches had already been thrown. Romano had gotten the first two batters out on 5 pitches (a slider to the first guy, and what looked like a high, 4-seam fast ball to Devers, and no idea what the other 3 pitches were). Martinez was the third batter of the inning, and the pitch was the 11th of the inning from Romano, with the count 2-2 on Martinez, which suggests one foul ball after the first two strikes thrown. The 11th pitch was the high, 2-seam fastball, so it would be interesting to see those intervening pitches. Were there any sliders in there?

Here's what I'm looking at:

As I don't watch a lot of Jays' games, or even much AL ball, has Romano been predictable for a while, or only after returning from his "vacation" which Buck mentioned?

regards,  G.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

Yeah, I haven't seen anything of the at bat except that one pitch so no idea what type of pitches had already been thrown. Romano had gotten the first two batters out on 5 pitches (a slider to the first guy, and what looked like a high, 4-seam fast ball to Devers, and no idea what the other 3 pitches were). Martinez was the third batter of the inning, and the pitch was the 11th of the inning from Romano, with the count 2-2 on Martinez, which suggests one foul ball after the first two strikes thrown. The 11th pitch was the high, 2-seam fastball, so it would be interesting to see those intervening pitches. Were there any sliders in there?

Here's what I'm looking at:

As I don't watch a lot of Jays' games, or even much AL ball, has Romano been predictable for a while, or only after returning from his "vacation" which Buck mentioned?

regards,  G.

TBH, I don't recall the pitch sequence, but I think on a 2-2 count, it's a good time to bury a slider. JDM isn't looking to walk in that situation and with two strikes, should be in swing mode.

If you can't get him to chase, then you can come back with the high heat on full count.

I honestly believe that Romano at times gets too caught up in the radar gun and forgets that big league hitters can turn around 100 MPH, if they aren't worried about an off speed pitch being thrown for a strike. JR has an excellent slider and I think he still needs to learn how often to use it.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

you can't get him to chase, then you can come back with the high heat on full count.

My only issue with this is that if he does indeed layoff off the 2-2 slider, now he’s definitely gonna be geared up for the fastball. 

But I haven’t watched a Jays game in two weeks so I haven’t seen Romano lately at all. 

Edited by Sean Monahan

1 minute ago, Sean Monahan said:

My only issue with this is that if he does indeed layoff off the 2-2 slider, now he’s definitely gonna be geared up for the fastball. 

But I haven’t watched a Jays game in two weeks so I haven’t seen Romano lately at all. 

....and if he does take you deep, you tip your cap. However, at least you showed him the slider and put the possibility of throwing another in his mind. That might just be enough to make him a millisecond late on 99 MPH....

2 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

....and if he does take you deep, you tip your cap. However, at least you showed him the slider and put the possibility of throwing another in his mind. That might just be enough to make him a millisecond late on 99 MPH....

As I said I hadn’t seen the game, I was under the impression this was leading off the inning. With there being two out at the time I would’ve had no qualms about throwing the slider and even doubling up on it 3-2. If you walk him with two out it’s not the end of the world. 

12 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

TBH, I don't recall the pitch sequence, but I think on a 2-2 count, it's a good time to bury a slider. JDM isn't looking to walk in that situation and with two strikes, should be in swing mode.

If you can't get him to chase, then you can come back with the high heat on full count.

I honestly believe that Romano at times gets too caught up in the radar gun and forgets that big league hitters can turn around 100 MPH, if they aren't worried about an off speed pitch being thrown for a strike. JR has an excellent slider and I think he still needs to learn how often to use it.

True dat. I figure Martinez processed what he saw from the Devers at bat and from his at bat, and made a good guess/reacted to the high fast ball (as you've been saying). Maybe if the target location was moved up just a bit then that could have been strike three, or a pop up.

If Romano keeps going for the fast ball as his go to pitch then, yeah, the Jays will be in trouble. The very next at bat (to Renfroe, with the count 1-2) Romano tries to strike him out with the same fast ball and that ball goes out.

regards,  G.

10 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

I'm curious as to what type of pitches the previous five were. On a 2-2 count from 5 pitches (assuming one foul ball), were any of them fast balls, or were they all sliders, or a combination? If the strikes were all sliders then why throw the fast ball? On the other hand, if any sliders thrown were balls (Martinez ain't chasing them) and the strikes were all fast balls then it shows a greater confidence in that pitch (that Martinez is having difficulty with it), so why not go back to the well...?

regards,  G.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1