The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Mike Gillis Fired

Strombone1

Fan Poll  

324 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

How is anyone surprised? Fans wanted it and the owners acknowledged that.

Oh it was a bad move. Give me a break. No it wasn't, he's screwed up this team is about time he's got fired. Time to start the healing. However if they hire Jay Feaster as the new GM we would have been better off with Gillis.

Today was a good day. First step towards becoming better.

If the fans are running the team it's really in trouble.

Please tell me that this is only first of 2 firings. If not, this will still be a terrible team for as long as Torts is coach.

I think it would be extremely risky for ownership to have a repeat of this season,next season...I say he's not long for the chopping block.

I compare the Trev as prez idea to Cam Neely as prez in Boston and Joe Sakic as prez in Colorado. Now they just have to find the right guy for the GM role and hire a new coach. Then we need to be patient. Trev's a real hockey guy - he'll do fine.

OMG.

Bruce Garrioch saying talk of Jay Feaster becoming the GM here in full swing due to his relationship with Torts.

Would make sense as Feaster would be Aquilini's puppet.

This is not going to end well.

Oh wow this better not be true. If Feaster is hired this is definitely a downgrade.

I don't understand the huge amount of support for MG. He inherited a great young talented group of players, made a nice pickup when Erhoff became available due to the Sharks stupidity ( Dany Heatly anybody?) and then watched his whole team get older at the same time. He made some good moves and some bad moves. The real problem was the bloody circus. MG just had to have an answer for everything. If he would have kept things in the room, then maybe everybody wouldn't be an expert about Lou's hurt feelings, Hodgson's hurt feelings, Kesler' hurt feelings, etc. etc. etc. Sometimes it pays off to just quietly go about your business.

Also - Jay Feaster???? Just no.

No thinking outside the box let's get a safe replacement who is actually currently working in the capacity from an elite team's Asst GM's right now, if we need to we can place Nazzy in player dev.

btw I stated my desire to grab Nill while he was still available and am really choked that a year later that we fire Gillis.NO NILL!

ps our western scouting needs an upgrade.

I think some of us fans are getting caught up with the owners meddling, I feel like the only reason they were is that the West teams around us were getting a lot better, and Gillis and the Canucks were making minor moves. Look when we made the playoffs with the division titles and the finals run, didn't hear a peep from the owners. Deep down they bleed blue and green, and were intervening because they can't accept medicority. I won't be surprised if Tortorella is canned as well, and I think if good enough hockey minds are in place then the owners will take a step back like they did before.

how about marco sturm and peter schaefer?

Well, at least there were players like Santorelli and Stanton, do you remember one good cheap signing from before Gillis got here? Face it, it was his strength. Even haters should admit that, but alas they won't.

I hope all you idiots are happy with his replacement.

:-D

I have a really wacky suggestion! Let's preemptively Fire Feaster now and avoid the Xmas (or next summer) rush!

I admit, it would be a kind of unorthodox move (him not being signed as GM and all), but what the hell have we got to lose!

Think of the headlines that would make!

Feaster Preemptively fired by Canucks before he even has an interview!!!

B)

I haven't laughed that much in a long time. Thank you.

Definitely.. And did you hear Moj yesterday afternoon talk about Gillis? He brought this up calling MG arrogant and immature for doing that.. I lolled.

The butthurt is clearly strong still with that meathead.. It made my day hearing him squirm during his "bottom line".. It sounded like he was waiting for years now for MG to be canned so he could get his revenge. What an oaf.

I still think Gillis should fire AV.

Anyone who disagrees is an idiot; a troll...

I hope Gillis makes Eddy the captain.

It would also be awesome if Kesler, Burrows and the Sedins were to block shots for half of their offensive shifts, right before their PK shift. That would be a fantastic management of player personnel, no? I know, its the coaches decision to ice the roster, right? Who is accountable for the roster though? AV?

Same ship, different years. Same GM's scapegoat? Nope. Yay!

Had Gillis supplied players for either of AV's or JT's systems then greasy Gillis would be able to point is fat finger at the coach, but he did not. After a repeat of this, his jig is up and he is accountable.

Hopefully, this big, suck-up, PR move of hiring Linden to lure the respectability of the franchise back, pans out. I am sick of the antics here. Biting, hair-pulling, conspiracies, bitch-slapped Sedins, "My contract sucks"... it was time for a change. Overtime, actually.

I still think Gillis should fire AV.

Anyone who disagrees is an idiot; a troll...

I hope Gillis makes Eddy the captain.

It would also be awesome if Kesler, Burrows and the Sedins were to block shots for half of their offensive shifts, right before their PK shift. That would be a fantastic management of player personnel, no? I know, its the coaches decision to ice the roster, right? Who is accountable for the roster though? AV?

Same ship, different years. Same GM's scapegoat? Nope. Yay!

Had Gillis supplied players for either of AV's or JT's systems then greasy Gillis would be able to point is fat finger at the coach, but he did not. After a repeat of this, his jig is up and he is accountable.

Hopefully, this big, suck-up, PR move of hiring Linden to lure the respectability of the franchise back, pans out. I am sick of the antics here. Biting, hair-pulling, conspiracies, bitch-slapped Sedins, "My contract sucks"... it was time for a change. Overtime, actually.

Gillis is a crybaby. He doesn't own up to his mistakes and throws people under the bus.

Calling out Hodgson in public was not professional and that was only one of the few media fiascos Gillis created.

Here's to Torts who has harnessed the local media and tells them the truth about the franchise.

The thing is, most people would rather hear fantasy over reality.

In the name of not getting the players the Canucks needed, I count AV as another Gillis casualty.

AV publicly calls for better players.

Gillis doesn't deliver.

AV fired.

Tortorella publicly calls for better players.

Gillis doesn't deliver.

Gillis fired.

Gillis is a crybaby. He doesn't own up to his mistakes and throws people under the bus.

Calling out Hodgson in public was not professional and that was only one of the few media fiascos Gillis created.

Here's to Torts who has harnessed the local media and tells then the truth about the franchise.

The thing is, most people would rather hear fantasy over reality.

I the name of not getting the players Teheran Canucks needed, I count AV as another Gillis casualty.

AV publicly calls for better players.

Gillis doesn't deliver.

AV fired.

Tortorella publicly calls for better players.

Gillis doesn't deliver.

Gillis fired.

If this is all you observed over the last 6 seasons, you're blind. hahaha.

Gillis has done an admirable job. He didn't have time to overhaul the team. He used the pieces in place, took us to the cup and made some questionable moves the last 2 seasons. I would have given him another 1 or 2 years to see what he could do,

Archived