The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Confirmed] Jim Benning signs as new Canucks GM

TheRussianRocket.

We don't need defense we need a top 6 that can score,

Currently that top 6 has Daniel, Burrows, Higgins who all need to be replaced by 1st rounders who can score 30 goals.

I am just agreeing a Kesler trade in any capacity + being a lottery team next year will give us a scary balance of Prospects and Vets.

and no Kesler to Pittsburg is a bad trade for us no matter how you slice it, get that 10th overall. Building a team around the Sedins, after trading Kesler is a dead man walking move

The Canucks need a 1D to pass to the top 6 you want, so that top 6 can score...

If you mean replacing those players with 1st rounders, then you'll have 30 goals collectively for the year.

The Canucks have the prospects in place already; Shinkaruk, Horvat, Jensen, Lain, Archibald, Corrado, and that does not include Tanev, Kassian and Stanton.

At this point, building around the Sedins has been done an the Canucks went to a game 7 Stanley Cup final.

Now it is time to build a new core withing the next four years for a smooth transition. No need to blow it up and wait for ten years.

Yeah, I don't see a retraction either.

Dreger's last 2 tweets were...

@DarrenDreger: Mentioned Trotz as the obvious top candidate for Canucks coaching job following Benning hire. Willie Desjardins is a strong option as well.

@DarrenDreger: The Canucks have not yet asked the Dallas Stars for permission to speak with Desjardins, but expectation is they will. Desjardins is a strong option as well.

Desjardins is an excellent coach.

That's because Nashville got his rights. He had/has the potential to be a star in the NHL.

Seems they aren't winning without him either.

Poile went on record in 2012 saying if he wanted to play in the NHL they would happily trade his rights to another team.

Or the fact they haven't been good neither defensively or offensively this year.

Have you seen their roster?

When Patrick Hornqvist is your highest paid forward, you've got problems.

They have a good young D-core, but they are still very raw. The fact that they were even in a position to make the playoffs with such a young D-core, is a testament to Trotz's ability to groom young D-men.

No, we weren't saying the same thing at all.

You're saying it was the team, I'm saying it was Tortorella.

We won the President's trophy in 2011-2012 under AV, and then lost our best offensive player right before the playoffs and got cold. I wouldn't say we were trending downwards at that point.

Last season they won the division and then were swept by the Sharks, mainly due to some very lopsided officiating, but also depleted scoring depth on the team.

Really the team only had one off season under AV. So saying that we were trending downward is false IMO.

Tortorella wasn't the right fit here plain and simple. He took a team that needed to be built back up, and kicked them in the nuts. I really believe he was the sole reason for this teams spectacular demise this season.

Winners concentrate on winning. Whiners blame the refs.

Have you seen their roster?

When Patrick Hornqvist is your highest paid forward, you've got problems.

They have a good young D-core, but they are still very raw. The fact that they were even in a position to make the playoffs with such a young D-core, is a testament to Trotz's ability to groom young D-men.

They were never close of making the playoffs to be fair. They made a very late, strong push that made them advance a little bit up the standings.

Winners concentrate on winning. Whiners blame the refs.

I'm not whining, I'm stating facts.

When you're facing one of the the most lopsided penalty call ratios in NHL history, it tends to make things a little more challenging.

Not to take away anything from the Sharks. They probably would have still beat us, but definitely not in a sweep.

Don't look at standings too much. Only a miracle would have been enough for them to go by both Phoenix and Dallas.

Don't look at the standings to see how close they were?

That's silly cause you said they weren't even close, when they clearly were. Yes, they probably weren't going to get by both, but the point is they were within striking distance, despite having a pretty inferior roster.

Archived