The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Confirmed] Jim Benning signs as new Canucks GM

TheRussianRocket.

Oddly, after we lost to the Islanders in the SCF in 1982, 3 years later we fired Harry Neal as GM and named Jack Gordon the new GM in 1985.

Neale was one of our better GM's. In fact his dismissal was similar to Pat Quinn. GM Quinn was going to take over for Renney, when Quinn himself got fired by Steven Bellringer. A corporate hatchet man.

From 1978 to 1985 Neale had a pretty good draft record. Only problem was this was the heyday of Gretzky and Co. in Edmonton. Calgary was tough as well. So unless we drafted 1st overall those 7 years it would have been impossible to compete.

Oddly, after we lost to the Islanders in the SCF in 1982, 3 years later we fired Harry Neal as GM and named Jack Gordon the new GM in 1985.

And if I remember correctly, Jack Gordon was the guy who traded ...GUESS WHO!?

I think it was...this "salt-and pepper" haired guy. Can't really remember his name though...

496px-Camneely2013.png

I hear he's some bigwig down in Beantown.

Hey...SEA BASS...thanks for Jim Benning. "Maybe you might be welcome back in Maple Ridge" now.

I am hopeful that we now have a GM with some consistency in his thought processes and his actions. A GM who doesn't view the fans as people who's intelligence should be insulted day after day and above all a GM who "doesn't sweat the small things, while he sweats.

I am hopeful that we now have a GM with some consistency in his thought processes and his actions. A GM who doesn't view the fans as people who's intelligence should be insulted day after day and above all a GM who "doesn't sweat the small things, while he sweats.

He is gone .. you can relax now.

Caps dont have a GM yet. Plus if Benning and Linden are really interested in Trotz im pretty sure they will get their chance at interviewing him.

I'm aware of the fact that the Caps don't have a GM yet. However, the TSN article was explicit. Trotz was interviewed and it was for the coaching job. I'm not commenting on the significance of the interview, merely the fact that it happened and that Vancouver is not Trotz' only possible destination, especially since, to my knowledge, the Canucks have not interviewed him.

Whether it has an impact on the Canucks' coaching vacancy remains to be seen.

So I work at a Source For Sports down in Whiterock and there have been rumours swirling from people who know the GM's and front office of the Canucks that once Benning is introduced he is going to bring on Trotz and the deal is Trotz wants SHEA WEBER to come along with him to the canucks so the Canucks are gonna try and package a deal with NSH that would include KESLER and Weber as the centerpieces of the trade .. now this is all speculation but the people at my work do know a lot of people in the Vancouver Front Office.

Haha I don't doubt that they may know some people that work for the canucks. I'm pretty sure those guys wouldn't be in the very inner circle and if they were, they almost certainly wouldn't share their plans with their old friend that works at a sports store.

Trotz is high on everyone's list and I'm sure very high on ours. The weber thing is kinda silly, it's not really how it works lol. Is it poile's going away gift to Barry? Thanks for all the hard work my friend, I'll trade you shea weber as soon as you find a job haha

^^ No kidding, eh?

But was reading the Benning in as GM piece on the home page of CDC, and it noted specifically that Benning will be attending the combine:

Linden hasn’t shied away from saying the Canucks will be a playoff team next season, but the immediate focus isn’t on the team as a whole, it’s on making the most of the sixth overall pick in the 2014 NHL Draft and hiring a head coach that aligns with Linden and Benning, and the rest of the staff, on what they view is a Canuck and how this organization is going to play.

“Jim recognizes that there’s a lot of work to do and I think we’ve got some big decisions to make heading into the draft and certainly the summer. We’re going to get to work on that, obviously the combine is next week and the great thing about this situation is Jim is able to start immediately with us, so he’ll be in Toronto for the combine with us.

”The draft is first and foremost, but we’ve also got our minds turning to the coach search and working through that. That may be impacted a little bit by teams still playing, so we’re going to have to work around that a little bit, but I think having a general manager work with me to select a coach is really critical.”

While that's maybe not a full confirmation, it's certainly something that I wouldn't think would be happening if Boston had negotiated that Benning wouldn't be able to participate in this year's draft. Benning wouldn't even need to be watching the combine results let alone be involved in any player interviews if he wasn't going to use some of his knowledge to help with who the Canucks draft.

Hopefully it's a question that is cleared up tomorrow, but that'd be a win for us to be able to have Benning in an unlimited capacity.

EDIT: and on the Weisbrod rumour, he seems to be an interesting guy, but I'm not so sure what he had his hands on in Calgary that would make us excited about bringing him in. Clearly his resume has more than just Calgary, but if he has a scouting background and helped with the Jankowski off the board pick when Olli Maatta was taken right after, then I don't know what to say.

^^ No kidding, eh?

But was reading the Benning in as GM piece on the home page of CDC, and it noted specifically that Benning will be attending the combine:

While that's maybe not a full confirmation, it's certainly something that I wouldn't think would be happening if Boston had negotiated that Benning wouldn't be able to participate in this year's draft. Benning wouldn't even need to be watching the combine results let alone be involved in any player interviews if he wasn't going to use some of his knowledge to help with who the Canucks draft.

Hopefully it's a question that is cleared up tomorrow, but that'd be a win for us to be able to have Benning in an unlimited capacity.

EDIT: and on the Weisbrod rumour, he seems to be an interesting guy, but I'm not so sure what he had his hands on in Calgary that would make us excited about bringing him in. Clearly his resume has more than just Calgary, but if he has a scouting background and helped with the Jankowski off the board pick when Olli Maatta was taken right after, then I don't know what to say.

I think "he is able to start right away" pretty much states unequivocally that he is starting right now and will be working the draft.

I refuse to say anything outright because I'm not one to spread conjecture. However I will say that what I heard is mind ???? blowing for this team on top of hiring the best possible candidate.

Just being vague so that people don't lose their shizzle.

This upcoming season will outshine 2011. Believe it! Or not.

It's never stopped anyone else on here. Don't beat around the bush, post what you've heard and make it CLEAR it's conjecture.

Your above post actually makes you look like an even bigger douche-nozzle than posting unverifiable conjecture IMO. At least the rumour gives us something to talk about other than your douchey comment :P

^^ No kidding, eh?

I read somewhere (I'll try to find it) that Benning will be hitting the ground running and will officially take over active GM duties on Friday (including full participation in draft prep and the combine). Apparently the Bruins have placed zero limitations on him (which would be great news).

On Weisbrod:

I've heard many good things as well. However, another black mark (from Calgary) is that he was part of the hockey ops group responsible for the O'Reilly offer sheet fiasco (and even while Feaster claims they did their "due diligence" and were aware of the waivers situation, it looks like the NHL would have ruled against the Flames if Colorado hadn't matched--something that's been confirmed by Bob McKenzie and several others).

I'm not sure what Weisbrod's role was but many Flames fans at the time were calling for his head alongside Feaster's.

However, given that Weisbrod's strength seems to be in player evaluation (and not the CBA), I might be willing to give him a pass on that one (as his role may have started and ended with evaluating O'Reilly's on-ice value/potential--which is the only thing they got right IMHO).

Whatever happens, I just hope that we retain Gilman for his CBA expertise (to avoid any potential scenarios like the Calgary one).

If there needs to be a shuffle at the top of hockey ops (to accommodate Weisbrod), it's probably Henning who should be the odd man out.

^^ As far as the above I don't disagree on anything you've said.

I'd say Benning has been given the green light without limitations, but it'd be nice to confirm it.

I like what I'm initially hearing about Weisbrod as well, but the most recent thing I have to judge him on is Calgary so I'd certainly like to hear more if he is being brought on board.

Gilman and Henning both are quite respected, although Henning's more of a background guy. Gilman having strengths in areas the rest of the management don't (where Henning is closer to Benning/Weisbrod) would indicate they keep him around, but perhaps Gilman might be interested in moving to a GM role in the coming years. I haven't heard if he's been approached for any other jobs, but he'd be a guy who could certainly take on a role like that if he was in the running.

I think "he is able to start right away" pretty much states unequivocally that he is starting right now and will be working the draft.

Technically, he could be 'starting right away' on hiring a head coach, or evaluating the current roster. Even if the Bruins prevented him from participating in the draft, he wouldn't be excluded from working on any other areas the Canucks need a GM for.

^^ As far as the above I don't disagree on anything you've said.

I'd say Benning has been given the green light without limitations, but it'd be nice to confirm it.

I like what I'm initially hearing about Weisbrod as well, but the most recent thing I have to judge him on is Calgary so I'd certainly like to hear more if he is being brought on board.

Gilman and Henning both are quite respected, although Henning's more of a background guy. Gilman having strengths in areas the rest of the management don't (where Henning is closer to Benning/Weisbrod) would indicate they keep him around, but perhaps Gilman might be interested in moving to a GM role in the coming years. I haven't heard if he's been approached for any other jobs, but he'd be a guy who could certainly take on a role like that if he was in the running.

Technically, he could be 'starting right away' on hiring a head coach, or evaluating the current roster. Even if the Bruins prevented him from participating in the draft, he wouldn't be excluded from working on any other areas the Canucks need a GM for.

Multiple sources have confirmed that he will be working the draft, from Team1040 to Botchford on the Province.

Would be real cool to get Weber...but if you add that extra salary while taking away Kesler's offense they are gonna be in some big trouble next year trying to score goals.

Um... No.

Whether this rumor is true or not is irrelevant. Getting rid of Kesler is the right thing to do. Get rid of the no-pass center. He's a detriment to the team and has been for years.

Um... No.

Whether this rumor is true or not is irrelevant. Getting rid of Kesler is the right thing to do. Get rid of the no-pass center. He's a detriment to the team and has been for years.

You aren't really addressing the point of my post. Who are you going to replace his 20-30 goals with?

Regardless of whether or not it is the right thing to do, flipping him for a defensman is going to create a hole on offense that is going to be difficult to fill.

Not sure how you can debate that.

Although "um...no" IS one of the best arguments I have ever experienced. :bigblush:

Archived