The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Am I the only one who doesn't mind Booth?

Goat James

we're either gonna find parts or rebuild our roster and so how does booth fit in as he is in the same process of re-tooling himself or re-building himself at $4.5 mill.....he's a gonner in my books, save the money!

To me it comes down to whether where that money is planned on being spent. If you are going to use that extra 4 million to try and sign a top six forward, then ok, buy him out. If not, keep him. Booth is a good player, he's just not worth 4.25 million. But if we aren't going to be spending up to the cap anyway, then why not keep him? I'm totally with you.

Honestly, just because we can do something, doesn't mean we have to do it. You know who looks like worse value for contracts? D. Sedin and Burrows. They're both on the wrong side of thirty with declining production...why don't we talk about buying THEM out? (I'm not actually suggesting that we do)

This^^^^. Except I would advocate buying out Burrows who is no better than a third liner now. Burrows' spot can easily filled by Santorelli at $1.5 million. Booth at one year remaining vs. Burrows at $4.5 million cap hit for another three years is far easier to take from a cap perspective (though I'm sure Aquillini would find it hard to swallow $8M to Gillis, $8M to Torts, and another $10M or so to Burrows for comp buy out or $6.66M over the next 6 years for a regular buy out).

Core has to change, so I would start with Burrows...and then move Edler. Combined, we can potentially have up to $9.5M cap space available. I would try to trade Edler, Hansen, Markstrom, Sestito to Toronto for Jake Gardiner, James Reimer and Colton Orr.

Players I would target in UFA would be Paul Statny (28 yrs. old, LHC, 71GP-25G-35A-60PTS-22PM, 6', 205 lbs) and Matt Niskanen (27 yrs. old, RHD, 81GP-10G-36A-46PTS-51PM, 6', 209lbs).

I can foresee a lineup looking like the following being competitive in the WC:

D. Sedin (33) -- H. Sedin (33) -- R. Kesler (30) (18 mins/gm) - primary scoring line; no. 1 PP unit

S. Mathias (26) -- P. Statsny (28) -- Z. Kassian (23) (18 mins/gm) - secondary scoring line; no. 2 PP unit

D. Booth (29) -- B. Richardson (29) -- C. Higgins (31) (14 mins/gm) - primary checking line; Richardson/Santorelli no. 1/2 PK unit

N. Jensen (21) -- B. Horvat (19) -- M. Santorelli (29) (10 mins/gm) - development line; Kesler/Higgins no. 2/1 PK unit

C. Orr (32)

D. Hamhuis (31) -- M. Niskanen (27) (21 mins/gm)

J. Garrsion (29) -- K. Bieksa (33) (21 mins/gm)

J. Gardiner (24) -- C. Tanev (23) (18 mins/gm)

R. Stanton (25)

E. Lack (26) - 41 starts

J. Reimer (26) - 41 starts

I don't see us needing the 4 million unless the new manager thinks the window's still open then go ahead a buy him out. I'm indifferent about him, he contributes occasionally but not nearly enough for someone making 4 mill

Exactly. He's an alright player that's just getting paid way to much. Heck, if he was making Santorelli money he'd be one of my favourite players.

Doesn't have the intangibles to play on the PP / PK but is a decent 5 on 5 player, especially against bigger teams like LA. It's a little infuriating to watch offensive build up die on his stick, but finished at a decent +1 (decent for this team). I much preferred the Richardson-Kassian-Matthias line at the end of the year than when he was on it. End result- either replace him through free agency/buyout or just get used to the idea of a 4 mil + player on the fourth line.

That's a fair point that he really only plays 5 on 5, and isn't used very much on the PP or PK. If he was finishing better 5 on 5 he wouldn't be a buyout candidate at all since he does a decent job of controlling possession or at least keeping it in the offensive zone. I've always said as well he's the absolute best player we have at driving the net off the wing on the rush but with all the times he's done so you'd expect more goals.

One thing people are overlooking is buying out Booth doesn't just give us space for a UFA signing, but if we do suppliment the team with youth, through trades or even a UFA signing and are doing surprisingly well in the season, his cap space can be used to get a better deal at the deadline as well. I'm not suggesting we overpay then, but could make a trade earlier in the season that really fits this team, and having that leeway next year is worth more to me than avoiding a Booth buyout in case he decides to finally score again.

contract year, i would gamble he is going to have his best season as a canuck which isn't saying much.

He has to realize nobody is going to pay him to play in the nhl with what he's done over the past three seasons.

So personally i think it would be a waste of money at this point to buy him out.

Who knows he might even be tradable for the first time as a nuck at next years trade deadline.

Youre not the only one who doesnt mind booth, dont worry. I still want him here but the problem with him is his contract. If we dont needto sign anyone in FA then might as well keep him for one more year then re-sign him for less, obviously.

My opinion is that it's either Booth or Hansen. Booth played great the last part of the season. His size, skill, and work ethic bumps him ahead of Hansen on my list, especially with the fact that if Horvat/Gaunce make the team Booth would be a fantastic winger to have on their line. Someone who could more reliably score some goals.

I'm fine with his cap hit. If that's what we're worried about, we should be more worried about Hansen's 2.5mil cap hit that takes into effect next year when Tortorella only uses him on the 4th line.

He gets paid like a top 6 player and has the skill of a top six player (arguably) but was placed in a third line role. His first season in Vancouver he played very well (23 goal pace, solid second line numbers). With Samuelsson and Sturm we actually saved some cap and Samuelsson by that time was slow and ineffective, Sturm probably the most useless player in the league. Season 2 he was on LTIR for more of the season, so pretty much a write off.

While his season looks like a total bust he didn't really play worse than most of our other forwards. His ESG/G were in line with Hansen and D.Sedin, better than Burrows and H. Sedin yet he was given zero time in the top 6 and virtually no powerplay time. While I am not saying he necessarily deserved it, but I think with the way the team played Torts should have at least given him a clean slate to see if he could bounce back.

Keep in mind Booth was a first line player making a big salary yet he never complained when being stranded in the bottom six and scratched throughout the entire year. In fact he made the most of it by hitting like freight train, building great chemistry with his linemates (Kassian and Richardson) and ended the year with the fourth highest +/- amongst forwards (+1).

He is not worth his salary, but I think the right minutes and linemates next season along with a solid offseason of recovering and training he could become a 20 goal player again. It is not worth buying him out and certainly we may as well give him a chance in a contract year.

Torts seems to hate him but I would be surprised if he was back next year.

Only way I see buying anyone out, which is unlikely is if we sign Vanek in off season who is only ufa who I think is worth the price he will be payed and unlikely. Rest will be way overpayed and don't want on long term overpayed contracts.

Which Booth is every one looking at the guy who played two seasons and did squat or the guy that played the last 15 game and looked good/OK If that isn't the definition of inconsistency what is ?

Yeah, he really didn't do enough recently to stick around imo. Let's do more with the extra cap space.

Given the contracts that are likely to be given out to UFAs this offseason, Booth isn't even all that overpaid. I'd like to see what he can do when healthy, with a decent offensive center. Considering his contract's up after next year anyway, we might as well keep him around.

And what system would that be? Edler started playing poorly long before Torts got here. Fire the coach and get a new one just because one player is a basket case? Think not. I'd buyout or trade Edler long before I did the same with Booth if those were my only two options.

:)

Let's see...one player will cost $25m to buy out, the other $4.5m. Hmmmmm...

Archived