The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

AV having the same PP problems as he did in Vancity

this

that is an incredibly difficult schedule

especially considering its play off hockey

also Rick Nash is the most over rated plug in the nhl

just wanted to put that out there

i've been saying the same thing for years. i pointed out at the time that columbus absolutely robbed new york in the trade and that stance was met with very firm opposition.

hell, at this point, dubinsky for nash straight up probably still would have been a win for columbus.

i've been saying the same thing for years. i pointed out at the time that columbus absolutely robbed new york in the trade and that stance was met with very firm opposition.

hell, at this point, dubinsky for nash straight up probably still would have been a win for columbus.

I'm right there with you. I remember the Columbus/Rangers trade at the time and going, "I don't know why people are saying the Rangers stole Nash, the Jackets received a great return for him." I like what Rick Nash brings, in theory. However, he is not nearly consistent enough. His cap hit alone is $7.8M. Meanwhile, the Jackets have Dubinsky and Anisimov providing more points combined for a total of $7.48M cap hit. They both also contributed more points individually in the playoffs this year in one round then Nash has in 2 rounds. No only that, the Jackets still have Tim Erixon (defenseman) who they received in the trade, who had a terrific season in the AHL this year (36 points in 37 games), and a 1st round pick that turned into Kerby Rychel, who is a great prospect. All in all, the Rangers botched yet another trade.

same problems as van AV a great regular season coach but average at best in the post season. his failure come from his inability to adapt and make changes, adjustments to counter the adjustments the opposition has made just as those were his short comings in van they persist in NYR. just keep playing the exact same way even thou its not working.

I'm right there with you. I remember the Columbus/Rangers trade at the time and going, "I don't know why people are saying the Rangers stole Nash, the Jackets received a great return for him." I like what Rick Nash brings, in theory. However, he is not nearly consistent enough. His cap hit alone is $7.8M. Meanwhile, the Jackets have Dubinsky and Anisimov providing more points combined for a total of $7.48M cap hit. They both also contributed more points individually in the playoffs this year in one round then Nash has in 2 rounds. No only that, the Jackets still have Tim Erixon (defenseman) who they received in the trade, who had a terrific season in the AHL this year (36 points in 37 games), and a 1st round pick that turned into Kerby Rychel, who is a great prospect. All in all, the Rangers botched yet another trade.

Karma for the Gomez - McDonagh trade.

When will Sather ever learn? Loading up on big names is not the way to go. Even before the cap, how many teams full of stars they paid through the teeth for not even make the playoffs? Now with the cap it's even more counter-productive.

Rangers PP was 15th in the regular season this year at 18.2%

The Canucks were 26th at 15.2%

Last year the Canucks were 22nd and the Rangers 23rd. So the Rangers have improved since last year while the Canucks fell further back.

This, overall AV made the Rangers better and Torts made the Canucks worse.

I've been saying Nash is overrated for a long time now. I was so happy when he declined a trade to Ottawa and said he doesn't want to play in Canada. Stay away from my teams. How he made the Olympics is beyond me. Neal is a much better player and plays similar hockey to Nash except Neal knows how to finish.

I was watching Don Taylor on Sportsnet doing the NY-Pitsburgh recap, (I for one prefer TSN as you dont hear Don Taylor there say stuff like, "...while wearing Joe Blow's old number.....in the such and such clad with yellow strips"), but he mentioned that NY is 0-30 something on the PP so far.

This is exactly the problem that AV had in Vancouver. He couldn't get the PP going here because he never changed up the units nor used guys like Burrows on the first unit PP who otherwise had all cylinders running. One of my arguments in my defence of Torts is that Torts changed things up when they didn't work and got the Sedins to do more away from the puck. The biggest downfall of Torts was having the top guys on this team block shots and the injuries that ensued from that along with alloting Stanton and Dalpe regular time when we should've rotated those spots with our minor league depth.

What were the Canucks PP stats this season?

This season The Rangers were 15th in PP% while Vancouver was 26th. In 12/13 when the coaches were reversed the Rangers 23rd and Vancouver 22nd.

Van without AV dropped 4 spots.

NY with AV rose 8 spots.

I'd conclude that AV is better than Torts at getting more out of what he's given on the PP.

This season The Rangers were 15th in PP% while Vancouver was 26th. In 12/13 when the coaches were reversed the Rangers 23rd and Vancouver 22nd.

Van without AV dropped 4 spots.

NY with AV rose 8 spots.

I'd conclude that AV is better than Torts at getting more out of what he's given on the PP.

yet the PP has failed when it matters the most

AV never ran the pp or chose who played on it....don't heap blame on the coach....torts didn't run the pp either....

Head coaches might not coach their PP or PK but I suspect they have a lot of input on who plays and tactics used. What else are they there for, surely not just game time decisions.

Looks like neither coach could improve their new team. It all comes down to playoff success and that makes the coach swap a dead even trade.

???? :huh:

One coach is in the second round of the playoffs, while the other coached his team to the 6th worst record in the entire league and you call that "dead even"?

same problems as van AV a great regular season coach but average at best in the post season. his failure come from his inability to adapt and make changes, adjustments to counter the adjustments the opposition has made just as those were his short comings in van they persist in NYR. just keep playing the exact same way even thou its not working.

Looked to me as if he made all the right "adjustments" in the last game.

Maybe it's time we put this silly myth to bed.

Rangers not scoring on the PP? Sounds like the Rangers pre-AV to me as well. I don't see how it's AV's fault, and as others point out the Rangers actually had an improved PP% over the season.

What ever happened to Rick Nash? I remember when this guy was considered a 30-40 goal scoring power forward with sick hands for his size. The highlights from earlier in his career seem to indicate it... but it just seems the last few years that he's disappeared for long stretches of time. It's appalling that he was on the Canadian Olympic roster over players like St Louis, Giroux and Neal.

In fact, as it currently stands I'd rather have Brandon Dubinsky, the CBJ's playoff MVP on my team rather than Nash. Dubinsky: point-per-game in the playoffs and shuts down Crosby. Nash: Not even close. Makes me think CBJ won that Nash trade handily if Nash continues to disappoint.

Archived