The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jannik Hansen-Do we need him?

dbutcher

Not at all. MG spent the last 3 years building this team up with 3rd liners. He's completely redundant at this point and the the only guy without an NTC that is reasonable to trade ... Anyone from Kassian, to Santorelli,

Burrows, Booth, Horvat, and Jensen can play in the one spot he is good in.

Last season isn't remotely why I think he will or should be traded FWIW. I quite like him actually. But you have to give to get and we have redundancy in our bottom 6 and a need in our top 6, for a PMD and youth/prospects. If he can help fill those holes via trade...well...

Yes I agree.

As stated there is a reason for Hansen to be off loaded, but would be happy to see him stay. All depends on what package can be put together and the return.

Actually think there is a few, which are on the block to be honest (NTC's apart)...

If its between Higgins and Hansen I would keep Higgins. I don't see room for both on the roster. Bottom 6 is to much of the same and Higgins needs to be in the bottom six. Sedin Sedin Jensen Burrows Kesler Kassian Higgins Horvat Matthias Sestito Richardson Archibald That is without including Booth and Benning/Linden doing absolutely nothing which I can't fathum.

There's never gonna be space for youngsters if we keep wondering "do we need him", they're clogging the lines

have Hansen on the 4th with Richardson & (potential UFA signee) Thornton/Komarov then that'd be nice to watch

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows/Jensen

Potential UFA /Burrows- Kesler - Kassian

Higgins - Matthias - Horvat (keep him up, no point sending him back to the OHL)

Komarov/Thornton - Richardson - Hansen

To me the choice between Higgins and Hansen is a no brainer for Higgins. Same kind of player in my mind except Higgins has quite a bit more scoring flair. Both hard workers. I wasn't saying necessarily one for another in my comment above, just saying that players need to fit a niche on a team, and be able to chip in as well if you want to roll 4 lines successfully. JB and TL have both made a point of saying that, and if that's the case I don't think those 2 players in particular will be moved.

We don't really need him if he is used as Tortorella used him. Or if we want Hank / Danny to continue to take defensive draws and kill penalties instead of offensive zone shifts.

But have a listen to Benning and Linden. Who want to move back to a fast paced game that values players with heart, work rate and compete level. And let offensive players be creative, push the pace and score.

Hansen (and guys like Torres) are exactly who get after it on the fore check and pressure the point. Hansen was simply a lot less useful, because Torts did not ask him to use his speed and feist to get after opposing D men at the point to create pressure and turnovers. Then burst up ice in transition when we steal the puck. That's Hansen's game and something we need to return to IMO. Not sit back in the slot and block shots.

If we return to an attacking, pressuring defensive style, which we should, Hansen is the last guy we should be moving. Then let Horvat and Gaunce earn roles by emulating players like Torres and Malhotra on Hansen's line! We absolutely need him to start those guys off with the right work ethic and understanding of the role of a defensive pressuring forward!

I have been, and still am a big fan of hansen but i do believe its time to move on. If we want youth coming in someone has to go and he has worth.

Rather have burrows and higgins, still a no to booth too even though i liked his play to finish the season.

Judging Hansen on last season is short sighted, I think. He wasn't used a lot. Mostly out of his control.

He's great at getting to the puck. Maybe the new icing takes some of that away?... It's still a really effective skill on the PK and he should have been used more IMO.

He's versatile and durable. One of the last players on this team I would trade.

As Burke said..Ill drive him to the airport,,he isnt the only one who should depart and let this team mini rebuild....we keep these guys around and what are we achieving, the same team as last year?

We need to inject youth and goal scoring into this team..lets get real..we are not trading the Sedins...someone has to go.

He's an above average third liner. I'd relegate him and Higgins to third line duties alongside Matthias. Kassian and Jensen should be fixtures on the second line if we want to try and develop these guys offensively. I understand the importance of defence but it's gotten to the point where we're Nashville 2.0. Even our offensive stars have cut down their point totals to contribute on D. And look where that got us.

Need him? No.

Not a knock against Hansen, but as many have already pointed out, we have too many guys like him on the roster. If one of the kids in the system is ready to step up and take his roster spot, youth should be served.

NYI NEED to rapidly climb the ladder this season(their 2015 1st goes to Buff). Send Hansen with Edler & Burrows/Booth(retain some cap), for some of their touted-youth. Hansen would fit well over there.

It's a mutual-needs opportunity!

That's a lot of ntc/nmc's you have to go through. I doubt one of them agree to it. Although playing with Tavares should be appealing to someone. Burr can ride his coat tails.

If we are rebuilding then maybe not. Might want to start getting our prospects nhl Ice time.

If Benning pulls a contender out of his hat then yeah he's been on a deep run before and is one of the better 3rd line wingers in the league.

Thing that drives me nuts is how he gets moved to the second line constantly and skilled prospects get pushed down to make a miscast 4th line.

Archived