The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sportsnet Article: Top 14 Free Agents

Guest Dasein

Vanek #1?

Clearly has not watched Montreal's playoff run.

Wouldn't touch Vanek with a 10-foot pole.

I'm far too lazy to go back and check out who's who, but it strikes me as ironic that this thread seems to be of the opinion that Benning shouldn't be afraid to move any player, as such "sentimentality" has caused the team's downfall.

At the same time, Gillis was a fool for letting Ehrhoff walk...

Jokinen - maybe to play Kesler's wing

Vrbata - nope

Cammalleri - concussion/injury issues

Boyle - too old, wouldn't come to Van

Hiller - yes please to mentor Lack

Niskanen - yes if we trade Edler or Garrison and don't have to overpay

Iginla - guaranteed won't sign with Van. Wants to win a championship at this stage in his career and that won't happen in Van next year

Markov - no thanks

Callahan - not worth what he thinks he's worth. No thanks

Moulson - absolutely yes! Perfect sniper for Kesler's wing and still young

Miller - nah

Gaborik - too injury prone

Stastny - only if we trade Kesler

Vanek - have you seen him in the playoffs this year? No thanks

Others:

Pouliot, Dominic Moore, or Ryan Jones

If we buy out Booth, I wouldn't mind giving Michalek a shot. Maybe a 2 year deal worth 7 million. He's big, he's a great skater, he scores goals and he's in his prime. If we put him with Kesler or the Sedins he may be able to get back to scoring 30 goals. Even if he doesn't, he's good for 40 points and 20 goals.

I'd rather let young talent take over the roster so like I said only if we buyout Booth.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Michalek-Kesler-Kassian/Jensen

Higgins-Santorelli-Jensen/Kassian

Archibald-Richardson-Hansen

Can roll 4 lines, all of which are defensively responsible and can chip in offensively. They all have an element of speed, size and grit.

Hate to say it, if we go with that roster we will be in for another tough season. I'd rather run with our young kids and have a terrible season than go with the status quo.

Us?

We have to buyout Booth just to afford mid grade / mid expense guys like Boyle. We wont be able to afford Niskanen, who makes the most sense. That's just the most sense amongst UFA's, he's not a perfect fit either. We really have no shot at a big name free agent guy without trading Kesler. But if committing to a rebuild, what is the point?

Bringing Willie home to tide us over till Shinkaruk and Dal Colle are lighting it up is as much as I can vision. Maybe Matt Greene?

Our future lies in the draft, money ball acquisitions (Peter Mueller, Santorelli) and trades!

Friend of a friend sais Stasny's dad hates Roy and Stasny will be heading to a Canadian team that can pay him

That rules out Toronto! :lol: But hey, they have Clarkson and Phaneuf...

Ottawa could do a lot worse than sign Stastny and cash Spezza in for young assets and a stud D man. Zbanajad, Stastny and Karlsson would be an awesome core!

I suppose we could trade Kesler and pick him up. But he would be expensive, and have to be signed long enough to supersede our great one as top line center: Hank! I just don't see it. And would we be better next year with a 1/2 punch of Hank and Stastny versus Hank / Kess???

Unless Statsny just really loves the Rocky mountains, and lots of money, is there any reason he might show up in Calgary?

What does make sense is Edmonton! They have the cap room and wings to make Paul productive. Plus young D assets that might include Ekblad, Klefbom, Schultz and Nurse to finally get them going. Signing Stastny, Hiller and say Willie Mitchell would be a great off season for them! They have gobs of cap available. I expect the Oilers to make big plays this off season! Maybe Wayne can make another call?

Where Edmonton makes the most sense, Montreal is the most interesting? They have to concentrate on their defence this off season. Not just re-signing Subban, but Boulion, Markov and some depth. But if they could find a taker for Desharnais and buy out Briere? There might be just enough to squeeze in Stastny. Stastny, Plekanec, Galchenyuk and Eller would be sic depth up the middle!

Grabovski would make a great second liner

Stempniak would be a decent depth signing....veteran presence

Moulson I think would be Fantastic as the third Sedin....price dependant of cource.

If we can one of Grabovski or Moulson to add some scoring I think we'd be in a better place.

Grabovski would make a great second liner

Stempniak would be a decent depth signing....veteran presence

Moulson I think would be Fantastic as the third Sedin....price dependant of cource.

If we can one of Grabovski or Moulson to add some scoring I think we'd be in a better place.

If we have the cap space I'd much rather get Stastny than Grabovski.

If Niskanen can't be landed and we look at veteran options (for adding a PMD), it might actually be worth considering Zidlicky instead of Boyle.

Both are 37-year-olds, 5'11", 190lbs, and RHDs.

Both are capable PPQBs. Both have a wealth of offensive ability and can move the puck well.

The difference is that Zidlicky has never made more that $4 million a season and has already started his "price reduction" stage of his career (last season took a 35+ contract with a $3 million cap hit plus $1 million bonus).

Boyle is coming off a long term $6,666,667 AAV contract. Most people seem to think he'll continue to get around $6 million per season for a couple more years.

So Zidlicky should be available for significantly less money. I'd imagine he could be had for something similar to his old deal ($4 million including bonuses).

Zidlicky is a career 0.53 points/game player who produced 12 goals, 30 assists, 42 points in 81 GP (0.52 points/game) this past season. He's only missed 1 game in the past two seasons. He generally stays healthy and plays 75+ games per season.

Boyle is a career 0.59 points/game player who produced 12 goals, 24 assists, 36 points in 75 GP (0.48 points/game) this past season. He also tends to play 75+ games per season and hasn't missed many games due to injuries.

Boyle seems to be in more of a "decline" pattern currently (and most of the comments out of San Jose tend to support this), with his production dipping below his career levels and with his minutes dropping from where they used to be.

Zidlicky's a bit tougher to project as he's back to his career average numbers this past season, after having some drop-off over the previous two years. But his 2013-14 numbers are quite encouraging as he led his team in PP goals and points while also holding his own defensively at even strength. He also had a respectable 124 hits and 81 blocks, which suggests that, even at 37 years of age, he's not shying away from the physical side of the game.

Zids' 18 PP points matched Boyle's production on the man advantage (and that's also more PP points--and goals--than any Canucks defenseman had in 2013-14)

So between Boyle and Zidlicky, who's going to produce more offense in 2014-15? Hard to say.

Equally hard to project who would fit the Canucks' D better.

Or who might be the better partner for Edler and/or Garrison (depending on who's still here).

But who's going to be a cheaper option? That should prove much easier to predict.

Archived