The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Offical] Kesler traded to Anaheim

TheRussianRocket.

In 1st overall

Out Kesler, Shinkaruk

That trade is awful for the Canucks unless we get at LEAST one more top prospect.

I will not be able to watch or read about any of the draft day stuff tomorrow until well after the fact, but boy oh boy am I looking forward to reading all about later on at night. This is like the start of Christmas.

Horrible deal, yes. The 1rst isn't the second coming of Gretzky here.

Do you mean reading on CDC is like Start of Christmas? Maybe if you have a drunk dysfunctional family where they shiv each other with the turkey bones.

Anaheim, Chicago, Avs, Pens, Blues and Caps all in on Kesler and have a reasonable shot of getting Kesler to play there. That is pretty good competition for him. I think one of the teams steps up especially when one of their competitors gets spezza or stastny. Wait till the crazy prices unfold on July 1, will make keslers deal look like a steal.

My money is on the Pens. For a package including Sutter, Pouillett and first.

Anaheim, Chicago, Avs, Pens, Blues and Caps all in on Kesler and have a reasonable shot of getting Kesler to play there. That is pretty good competition for him. I think one of the teams steps up especially when one of their competitors gets spezza or stastny. Wait till the crazy prices unfold on July 1, will make keslers deal look like a steal.

I heard the caps are in it too now and i like your pitts proposal would be happy with it

Since we are talking about Taj he retweeted this:

@taj1944: Wow!! RT @TheFalconer: Van/Fla/Avs trade rumour. Florida gets Avs 1st, T Barrie, and Shinkaruk from Van, Avs get Kes, Van gets 1st overall

Apparently the guy has a connection with someone in the Colorado organization. Another rumor, but something to talk about. I definately don't buy that this is a 2 horse race. 29 teams are looking for a good center.

kelser and shinkaruk for first? i wouldn't do that...

I think this person explains the situation perfectly

Originally Posted by I in the Eye viewpost.gif
I'm thankful that Linden and Benning weren't around during the Luongo fiasco. I think fear is dictating a lot of the reactions here.

To Van: low assets + fear

To Chi or Ana: Kesler

Chicago and Anaheim aren't even serving the fear. It's Canucks fans manufacturing the fear themselves.

What is the worst that can possibly happen, if come the 10th pick, Anaheim makes the pick... and Kesler isn't traded? Try again Saturday. Try again after free agency. Try again at the start of training camp. There are 3 or 4 prime times to trade Kesler, before the season even starts. It's far too premature to even discuss what happens if Kesler is a Canuck next season.

The Luongo thing is done. The past has been folded up. This is a different player. Different circumstance. There was only a few teams who wanted Luongo, and the value of goalies is relatively small to begin with... especially those on very expensive contracts.

Here, there are only a few teams Kesler wants, the value of centers is high to begin with... especially those on very good contracts.

Whereas there was no way out of Luongo (can't manufacturer a market that isn't there), there is a way out of Kesler. The market is artificial. The hurdle is man-made. Fear is dictating that Kesler will only ever have a market of two, whereas, Luongo only really had a market of too. The market for Kesler has been invented, inside Kesler's mind...

Chances are good, everything we're seeing, is posturing. This is the time you'd expect Chicago and Anaheim exploring other options, offering less than their final offers. What Vancouver wants, they don't want to give. I don't blame them. You don't give in what you don't want to, until you have to.

Do they need Kesler? No, everyone is replaceable. Canucks don't need Reinhart. Canucks would adapt. Chicago and Anaheim would go to other targets. Chances are, Kesler is traded on Friday... but if he's not, chances are, Chicago and Anaheim have moved on to other alternatives. Chances are, Ottawa wants a lot for Spezza, themselves. Chances are, Anaheim and Chicago will still be looking for a center come Sunday.

So many possible outcomes... where's the disappointment coming from?

If Anaheim and Chicago move on, Kesler has to make a new list, if he wants to be traded. Where he wants to go to right now, no longer need him. No malice, no spite. Would that be a reason for disappointment?

If we're talking about offers equivalent of the 24th and Perreault, that's a stone's throw to a playoff rental price. This is a weak draft. It would be better just to wait until the deadline, if need be. Keep Kesler at home... Ban him from Vancouver. Photoshop his images out of the promotional material. Don't mention his name. Act as if he doesn't even exist.

It would never come to that, IMHO. The Canucks have three months before it even becomes a potential issue. IMO, deal with the challenge on deck. The challenge on deck, is to get maximum return for Kesler on Friday.

How do you best do that? IMO, come out and say that you feel that you've convinced Kesler to want to stay. The next two days, nothing but how much you feel Kesler is excited about the situation here. That you want him to be a Canuck, and things are looking good. Of, if this is too much of a tall tale, that you are going to try to get him to stay via a summer of bbq's and brainwashing. This doesn't need to be a lie. This could be truthful.

But I don't think take it too seriously, if we end up hearing any of that. Just like I don't think what the feeling Chicago and Anaheim are giving McKenzie, we should be taking too seriously.

We're supposed to be feeling disappointment. Linden and Benning are supposed to be feeling pressured to accept a lower return than they want. If they weren't feeling pressured, if we weren't feeling disappointed (over something that hasn't even happened yet), then Murray and Bowman aren't doing their jobs.

Dare them, IMHO, to move on to another target. They will not offer what the Canucks want until they feel they have to. And if they never feel they have to, they will move on to other targets, and get someone else. Kesler will have to want to go to other teams.

I'm not feeling the problem right now, that some of you see. If Kesler is still a Canuck Friday night, I think I'm going to digest the information, make my personal inferences, and make my new predictions. This isn't the Luongo situation, despite the fear that it is being manufactured.

^ This.

regards,

G.

Yup. The team would be far better off with the return for Kesler from some of those proposed deals involving Anaheim or Pittsburgh (assuming the Canucks could actually get those pieces), and keeping Shinkaruk.

I'd prefer that they looked at different options for obtaining the first overall. This may still mean that Shinkaruk gets moved for the first, but he wouldn't be packaged (even indirectly) with Kesler.

regards,

G.

Same I wouldn't give up Shinkaruk for anything really tbh unless a big overpayment is being made.

Check out this mock draft from last year, (they had Hunter going at 12th and BoHo at 18th.. we got him for a steal at 24th and everyone on this board knows that):

http://www.tsn.ca/dr...ature/?id=98084

*Also on a side note: A lot of people fear Kesler going to Chicago or Anahiem considering both usually put on a good show when playing us especially the Ducks last season.. if they give us some good assets to add to the roster whether it's Saad+ or Etem+ and we sign Stastny or a comparable center we have only gained.

IN: Young roster player, draft pick(s), a new 2nd line center via free agency who will actually play with his heart and soul assuming that's why he signs (hopefully Stastny, maybe Grabovsk?)

OUT: Kesler and his big ego

Honestly I'm a huge Kesler fan, but he seems to be lying about wanting to stay here and this is not me believing media sources because those are usually b.s....it is the expression of GM JB when he's asked about Kesler. It's clear he doesn't want to stay.

And another thing to consider is that what if he stays and has a bad season because of say being unmotivated to play, injuries or whatever reason. His value is going down.

Kesler isn't the player he used to be and he's on the decline slowly just like Burrows and people don't see that. They both became very injury prone and aren't the same players they once were. Trading him now is thr best scenario IMO and his value is as high as possible now.

You make a point that more Canuck fans should consider. Yes Kesler is a good two way #2 centre with a favourable contract, an asset that should fetch a decent and fair return. But let's not get carried away and think his level of play has been anyway near what it was for one playoff series against Nashville. In recent playoff years his impact has been minimal and the style of game he plays is hard on his body. Numerous injuries have affected his effectiveness at times. I am not suggesting at all that the Canucks give Kesler away but this is a good time to move him at high value before he gets more injuries and his game diminishes further.

There is also the fact that this stale team needs a makeover and he is the most tradable asset to begin change. I don't know about other fans but I will scream if I have to listen to all this talk of change and then watch the same old stale players next year and listen to more vancouver Canuck drama for a year or two like Luongo. The season ticket sales speak loudly that this market wants change. I am not saying you trade Kesler just for that reason it has to be a good hockey trade. The Flames held on to Iginla and others for too long and they ended up getting a small return and ensuring a longer more painful rebuild.

This team is nowhere near a cup contender and the Ownership need to get a grip and rebuild this thing properly. The educated fan base that Vancouver is will support good young prospects and players on the way up if there is hope. There is a good new fresh management team in place, now the team needs to go to training camp with a fresh approach and void of discontent players who don't want to be here.

Just get the trade done and let's move forward.

Same I wouldn't give up Shinkaruk for anything really tbh unless a big overpayment is being made.

Check out this mock draft from last year, (they had Hunter going at 12th and BoHo at 18th.. we got him for a steal at 24th and everyone on this board knows that):

http://www.tsn.ca/dr...ature/?id=98084

There's probably a reason why Hunter dropped. Let's not call him a steal yet until we see actual results. Remember Canucks drafting Schroeder at 22 was considered a steal at the time.

There's probably a reason why Hunter dropped. Let's not call him a steal yet until we see actual results. Remember Canucks drafting Schroeder at 22 was considered a steal at the time.

If I had watched Schroeder play a handful of times there is no way I would have drafted him here.

He has no hunger in his game.

However if I had watched Shink I would certainly have gone for him. He is all about fizz and vitality, there is a real hunger there and it came out pre season far more than Schroeder ever showed it.

Schroeder needs to wake up and realise it is all getting away from him. Gillis said it and although I never agreed with much he said, I think he was right in Schroeder's case.

Twitter is tweeting. Benning talking to the media soon. Talking about goal options and the Kesler deal front.

#Canucks GM Jim Benning will be speaking to the media shortly. Stay tuned...

"We're inquiring about what it takes to move up, but we're happy at six if we stay there" - Benning #Canucks

Vancouver Canucks@VanCanucks 12m

"We're talking to teams about Ryan. We're going to do what's best for Kesler and for us" - Benning, discussing a possible Kesler deal

On adding a veteran goalie: "We're looking at options. We're happy with the progress Lack made last year, but we'll see" - Benning

Waiting for live feed.

I think you are right. No team would pass on a natural goal scorer for no reason. From what I remember, it was his size and commitment to defence that scared teams away. I think the defensive part of the game can be taught though.

All that being said, if we can turn Hunter into Reinhart somehow I saw go for it. Reinhart seems to be the more complete player.

If Pittsburgh puts that on the table, I take it on the spot. Done.

Archived