The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Offical] Kesler traded to Anaheim

TheRussianRocket.

If I'm JB, in that case, I'd say "enjoy the Kings walking all over you for the next 5 years". Not only is it bad on the ice, but thats a marketing nightmare when they share the same market

Yeah I said exactly te same thing earlier, Benning only has to say good luck with the Kings to both the Ducks and Hawks. If it isn't the right deal keep Kesler. If both those teams get desperate during the year it'll cost them more. ( that's what I would say)

Yeah I said exactly te same thing earlier, Benning only has to say good luck with the Kings to both the Ducks and Hawks. If it isn't the right deal keep Kesler. If both those teams get desperate during the year it'll cost them more. ( that's what I would say)

and I think the marketing issue for the Ducks is even more leverage. If the Ducks don't make a move to keep pace with the Kings (who just signed their best playoff scorer) and the Kings continue to dominate, that could be costly beyond the rink and hit the Ducks hard in the pocket book. I'm sure they don't want to be losing fans to the Kings as well as losing playoff series to them.

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 2m
Trade senses are on high alert. Starting to sound like Kesler deal is inching closer. Still working on destination, but next 24hrs, perhaps.
------------------
Next 24 hours? Hopefully.

The suspense is killing me. Wondering what the return will be and if Benning's first deal/move as GM turns out to be a good deal for the Canucks.

I agree that rebuilding the top end of the defense pool for the future should be a key goal for this team. Over the next few seasons (or sooner if they want to accelerate the re-tool) they need to start cycling out guys like Garrison, Bieksa, Hamhuis, etc. but that only becomes viable if they have guys developing who can fill those spots. The returns from Bieksa and Hamhuis would be very good for a retool.

The Canucks need to concentrate on getting a couple of high end puck moving defense prospects. Along with guys like Corrado, Stanton, etc. that creates an opportunity to further improve the forward prospect pool by moving some of the vets out.

As much as I want scoring in the form of a sniper or power forward, Ekblad is the guy in this draft. He will be a cornerstone to any teams defense. His value is huge and could also be used for a deal down the road as well. Norris quality d men seem to command the highest dollar amount in this sport.

Darren Dreger @DarrenDreger · 1m

Trade senses are on high alert. Starting to sound like Kesler deal is inching closer. Still working on destination, but next 24hrs, perhaps.

"Next 24 hours, perhaps"? Of course any deal is most-likely to happen before or during the early stages of the draft.

Archived