The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Offical] Kesler traded to Anaheim

TheRussianRocket.

If Pittsburgh puts that on the table, I take it on the spot. Done.

I don't,

1st rounder is late = Probable dud

Sutter = Bottom 6 forward, we have more than enough

Poulilett = Good prospect at a position we don't need to fill, our top 6 is crumbling we need to deal with that first.

Oh, and one more thing,

What's with all the "Let's sign Statsny! posts? Has everyone forgotten how lazy, disinterested and dispassionate a player he is?

The team caught fire this year and he rode the wave, it was not because of him. Having that guy on your team is detrimental to the whole group. I wouldn't take him if he was asking 3 mil, let alone 7.

If I'm benning I tell kesler you either let me trade you to any of the other 29 teams or rot in the press box or man up and play for the team that made you what you are.

If Kesler wants to go, his loyalty to the Canucks is already dented. It's tough to come back from that. Make the best deal available and move on.

There's probably a reason why Hunter dropped. Let's not call him a steal yet until we see actual results. Remember Canucks drafting Schroeder at 22 was considered a steal at the time.

I seem to recall the reason he dropped was his attitude, never read exactly what it was about his attitude that was undesirable, but that's what I remember reading.

I seem to recall the reason he dropped was his attitude, never read exactly what it was about his attitude that was undesirable, but that's what I remember reading.

I believe it was that he though he would make the NHl right away.

What's with all the "Let's sign Statsny! posts? Has everyone forgotten how lazy, disinterested and dispassionate a player he is?

Uh I'm not saying the Canucks HAVE to go out and overpay for a guy like Statsny but he played the toughest minutes against the other teams top lines, took key draws and still managed 50+ points. That's a damn important player on any team.

There's probably a reason why Hunter dropped. Let's not call him a steal yet until we see actual results. Remember Canucks drafting Schroeder at 22 was considered a steal at the time.

The irony if this is Mantha dropped fore the exact same reasons + a perceived work ethic issue yet some people on this board think Kesler for Mantha 1 for 1 is a solid deal.

Go figure

He seems fine?

Some people felt he was too "cocky".

I believe it was that he though he would make the NHl right away.

Again, all of that is why Mantha dropped plus perceived work ethic issues over being lazy.

And some people want that player ina 1-1 or some such nonsense or deem Mantha 100% untouchable yet are happy throwing Shinkaruk into trade proposals just because.

We NEED that kind of player with that cocky swagger and scoring prowess. We have a team full of 2 way players in an org full of 2 way players.

I am still happy we got Shinkaruk. A Shinkaruk that almost made the canucks and world junior Canadian team on one leg and a bad hip.

Lets develop him and see what he can do :)

I don't,

Poulilett = Good prospect at a position we don't need to fill, our top 6 is crumbling we need to deal with that first.

Oh, and one more thing,

The team caught fire this year and he rode the wave, it was not because of him. Having that guy on your team is detrimental to the whole group. I wouldn't take him if he was asking 3 mil, let alone 7.

I'll agree the 1st-rounder is of diminished value in this draft, but the idea of Pouliot running the Canucks PP for the next decade is very appealing. He'll otherwise be a solid top-4 as well. The Canucks have no such offensively-gifted Dmen in their system, so he fills a pressing need. As for Sutter, he'll be a serviceable player for many years, and if he's forced to play 2C for a couple years while Horvat finds his way, so be it. Unlike some here, I'm of no belief that the Canucks will be a contender inside the next 3 seasons anyway. We have time to acquire young talent and develop it. Pouliot, as much as anyone, fits the bill.

I don't,

Oh, and one more thing,

And our top 6 defenseman isn't crumbling? Hamhuis is still good but his best days are behind him. Edler's on a free fall, Bieksa still has is heart, but isn't getting any younger. Garrison shouldn't be a top 4. Tanev and Corrado are our only futur on the back-end and none of them is top 2 material.

Pouliot fills a big need, which is a puck moving defenseman, PP quaterback and potential top pair replacement.

Sutter might be a bottom 6, but he's one of the best in the league and still really young.

Late first is no better/worse than the Ducks 24th or Etem (or Teravainen for that matter).

Patrick Kane seems pretty cocky too, just sayin

Yes, but he's not a Canuck, so it's okay. Just like SJ's constant diving is okay but any Canuck who falls, even when pushed, is a dirty, disgusting diver giving the sport a bad name. And Boston's thuggery is okay but any Canuck who does something half as bad will be painted the NHL's #1 villain.

I'll agree the 1st-rounder is of diminished value in this draft, but the idea of Pouliot running the Canucks PP for the next decade is very appealing. He'll otherwise be a solid top-4 as well. The Canucks have no such offensively-gifted Dmen in their system, so he fills a pressing need. As for Sutter, he'll be a serviceable player for many years, and if he's forced to play 2C for a couple years while Horvat finds his way, so be it. Unlike some here, I'm of no belief that the Canucks will be a contender inside the next 3 seasons anyway. We have time to acquire young talent and develop it. Pouliot, as much as anyone, fits the bill.

Pouliot/Cederholm.

Sold

Benning says if deals aren't good enough, he'd be fine trying to look at the deadline instead of now where he thinks interest would pick up compared to now.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/26/benning-not-worried-that-kesler-situation-will-be-luongo-all-over-again/

PHILADELPHIA Jim Benning isnt worried about creating another patented Canucks soap opera. However, what Vancouvers new general manager said Thursday about the possibility of trading Ryan Kesler sure did sound similar to what Bennings predecessor, Mike Gillis, said over and over and over aaaaaaaaand over about Roberto Luongo.

Were talking to teams, but at the end of the day, were going to do what makes sense for us and to try to help Ryan out, said Benning. If we dont think we can get a fair deal for him, then were going to keep him and hes a Vancouver Canuck. Were happy to have him back, because hes a great player.

Benning added: Weve had communication with [Kesler] throughout the process. Weve talked to the agent. Weve told him [the situation]; he understands that. Hes a professional, and he understands that part of it.

Now, granted, Keslers situation has some meaningful differences to the one that kept Luongo in Vancouver long after the goalie first requested he be traded. Most importantly, Keslers contract doesnt suck; in fact, its extremely attractive, with a cap hit of just $5 million for two more years.

But if the Canucks are going to trade the former Selke Trophy recipient, theyre going to need something significant in return. Certainly, more significant than what the Panthers ultimately gave up for Luongo.

And with a remark that could be seen as both a criticism of his predecessor, who couldnt conceive a Kesler trade in March, as well as a warning that a deal may not be forthcoming this offseason, Benning had this to say:

When youre dealing with a player of [Kesler's] stature, at the trade deadline is when you can really do well, because those teams that feel theyre maybe one player awaycould possibly give you more than youd get in the middle of summer when theyre not playing hockey.

Its been reported that Chicago and Anaheim are the leading contenders to land Kesler.

Archived