The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks wont ask Alex Edler to waive NTC

AriGold

No, humiliate is the right word.

That was live on NBC, major network TV all across the continent.

He could have sent the message without saying a word, bench Edler for a couple of shifts and leave it at that.

I think spasms like that lost the respect of the locker room.

I would think most of our veteran team listened to that and thought: "God...we have 6 year old for a coach?"

Thrown in the Calgary incident (Which I thought was hilariously entertaining) where I'm sure the team was thinking: "So what if they are starting thier 4th line? start the Sedins and NOTHING will happen!" And you have a team that doesn't trust it's coach,

So coddling/allowing them to coach themselves from AV didn't motivate them and being hard on them from Tortorella didn't motivate them. What exactly is left?

Has anyone considered that maybe the group needs more than cosmetic changes?

Bieksa and/or Edler need to go. One huge defensive liability on the blueline is more than enough.

It is not all coaching's fault that this team has been horrible defensively, whether it was AV or Torts. Guys like Bieksa and Edler are simply bad defensively unless they have the perfect partner to complement them and cover for them. They don't have that here and they sure as hell are not it for each other.

Alex Edler isn’t going anywhere.

The Detroit Red Wings have renewed interest in the Vancouver Canucks defenceman. The Florida Panthers, who own the first 2014 draft pick, may also covet Edler.

However, despite a willingness by general manager Jim Benning to approach players with no-trade clauses, the Canucks aren’t planning to have that conversation with Edler, according to hockey operations president Trevor Linden.

“He’s got all the tools to be a dominant No. 1 defenceman,” Linden said Tuesday from Ottawa where he addressed a Canadian Men’s Health Foundation national launch of a fitness initiative.

“He’d be the first to admit he didn’t have a good year, and part of our job is to recapture the Alex Edler that we all know he can be. He has the skill-set that every team wants and we just have to get him back where he should be.

“There isn’t a team in the league that wouldn’t have its hand up for the opportunity to have an Alex Edler. It’s not in our consideration. We want to work with Alex; we have to get his game back, and I know he’s committed to doing that.”

Edler, 28, is viewed as a reclamation project who maybe wouldn’t command what the Red Wings and Anaheim Ducks were willing to part with at the draft before the Swede’s six-year, $30-million-US contract extension kicked in, along with his NTC. The Wings have never replaced Nicklas Lidstrom or Brian Rafalski, and the Panthers can dangle their top pick to try and allow first-round 2010 pick Erik Gudbranson to develop methodically. But the Canucks hold the No. 6 pick and seem poised to make it.

In a sour season in which Edler had seven goals, just 22 points and a league-worst minus-39 rating — often looking lost in a zone-defence system that put a premium on positioning — he was also suspended for three games for the Tomas Hertl hit Oct. 10 and missed 16 games with a knee strain suffered Dec. 3. But he did average 23:17 of ice time per game and has a good power-play point shot, though it could stand to be a bit more accurate.

“I’m at my best when I don’t think too much and just react out there and trust my instincts,” said Edler. “That’s something I have to get back to next year. There were a lot of changes this year and a lot of new things to get used to. I didn’t have the year that I should have had, but I know I’m a good player. I’m going to have to come back next year and do a better job at being better every game and being more consistent.”

All this could mean the Canucks are considering trading Jason Garrison — back to Florida? — or are considering him as a compliance buyout option later this month because Frank Corrado should become more of a roster mainstay. Garrison, 29, is a $4.6-million cap hit that pays $5 million next season plus a $1.5 million bonus before the contract trickles down to $2.5 million in its final year.

Garrison had a goal in each of his first two games this season but would score just five more. He led team defencemen in points (33) and shots (181) but was second to Ryan Kesler in missed shots (79).

Only four teammates had a lower shooting percentage (3.9), and like his peers, Garrison never developed a true comfort factor in any zone and has been bothered by groin concerns.

David Booth, 29, is another buyout possibility, but with one year left on his deal at $4.75 million, ($4.25m cap hit) the winger has extra contract incentive. Then again, trading Garrison and buying out Booth are the type of significant changes the team has been talking about.

“We’re going to have some very difficult decisions this summer and do everything we can to make the team better now and in the near future,” said Linden. “We have to make some adjustments and changes for sure.”

Kesler is of obvious concern. Willing to waive his NTC at the trade deadline, the centre will be a hot commodity at the draft which has become the annual hotbed of wheeling and dealing. Kesler, 29, is more concerned about the skill level on the Canucks than who’s coaching, and at $5 million annually the next two years, he’s coveted by Pittsburgh and Anaheim.

“We go back many years and unfortunately I was his first centre,” joked Linden. “I have a good relationship with Ryan and that will serve us well.”

As for coaches to replace John Tortorella and Mike Sullivan, Los Angeles Kings assistant John Stevens is in the Stanley Cup final and Texas Stars coach Willie Desjardins is in the AHL playoffs. Unless there’s a wild-card consideration — Jeff Blashill of the Grand Rapid Griffins is out because he’s close to a contract extension — there might not be a bench boss in place by the draft.

“We’ve got a real vision of what we want our coaching staff to look like and it would be great to have it taken care of by the draft,” said Linden. “I think it’s doable but not imperative.”

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/hockey/canucks-hockey/Kuzma+Linden+gives+embattled+Edler+vote/9904383/story.html

Isnt that the truth. . . .

Played very well alongside (surprise!) a talented PMD in Karlsson.

Hmmm....that sounds familiar.

Too bad, Jordan Subban wasn't closer to being an NHL player. Certainly getting someone like Vatanen would fit well, as people have suggested, and they could even have more focussed offensive minutes.

So coddling/allowing them to coach themselves from AV didn't motivate them and being hard on them from Tortorella didn't motivate them. What exactly is left?

Has anyone considered that maybe the group needs more than cosmetic changes?

Bieksa and/or Edler need to go. One huge defensive liability on the blueline is more than enough.

Well said. One is bad enough, two is disaster.

We overpaid for him because he was the "best d-man" in the UFA pool that year and a hometown boy...We should buy him out; sluggish skater, mediocre defence, and really only possesses a great shot...not worth the $$$.

Underrated defense, terrible shooting percentage at 3.8% and still got 33 points....

You could trade him for picks in second... Buy him out is ridiculous ...

He could of got way more money that year, Florida offered him more money,

Well I dont see Edler having a worse season so there is hope ;)

Edler says he plays better when he doesn't think too much and yet Torts had him constantly thinking about what he was doing, hopefully we get a coach that turns him into the player he is expected to be.

I don't see our D looking any different if they keep Edler. Doubt they buy out Garrison and I have read they'd like to get Conrado into the lineup this season . They keep going with the group model of D but if you look at the teams having the most success they all have one stud D man . I would love to see the Canucks do that as well but I don't see them being able to do that any time soon.

As far as those saying trade Bieksa, he fits the style of play management wants with his physical play plus Bieksa said he was a lifetime Canuck and was going down with the ship I doubt he'd agree to waive his NTC.

Hopefully we get the right coach to work with this group.

It is not all coaching's fault that this team has been horrible defensively, whether it was AV or Torts. Guys like Bieksa and Edler are simply bad defensively unless they have the perfect partner to complement them and cover for them. They don't have that here and they sure as hell are not it for each other.

Umm both are actually pretty good defensively. Fans just point out the obvious breakdowns on TV, but don't see all the other, more difficult plays they make regularly. Last year was a shit show and that's probably because players had a difficult time transitioning to a zone style D system.

Think I might even invest in an Edler jersey for next year. Has been my favorite Canuck for a long time.

this idea of a 'calming influence' is a fallacy son - maybe its semantics but players aren't 'nervous'.

what the issue is, is often players such as some of those you mentioned simply make higher risk plays (Bieksa for instance). If paired with a defensive, mobile player, often that player is able to cover for those errors (Hammer).

result, less risk, higher reward if it works (risky pass, jump up the ice, pinch etc).

problem is when you don't have that stay at home, mobile guy, well then errors end up in your net.

the other issue you are ignoring is systems and forwards. defense is a much easier position if the forwards play a hard 2 way game and are positioned properly not only on the backcheck but as importantly on the break out.

often what common fans view as a 'defenseman error / Bieksa /Edler brain fart' actually is the result of hard pressure and the FORWARDS either blowing the zone too early or not being in a lane / position to provide that defenseman with support and an outlet.

for example, people often blamed edler for having passes picked off and turned over in our end.

but if you look at many of them, they were dumps up the boards when in trouble. they weren't often up the middle into danger zones (and if they were often it was because there was a opposing player on the boards protecting that dump so he had little choice but to try to find a lane to get it out), that folks is a forward issue and system issue not a defenseman. Yes he (edler or any dman) has to recognize that issue sooner (that he has no outlets) but its not always on the dman, he needs a lane to get the puck through. And if his choice is throw it up the middle where a guy will pick it off for sure, or try and push it up the boards where he may have to get it through someone, but at worst be able to play that player physically if it is picked off, what decision do you make? the same one.

alot of this falls on coaching and systems as coaches need to recognize their players' strengths and weaknesses/ team strengths and weaknesses.

The canucks dont have a Karlsson, a Subban etc. A guy who can elude a hard forecheck and skate it up ice. They have mobile 2 way defenders but not elite skilled defenders. Even then, those teams don't have one of those guys on each pairing!

Therefore, you cant have a system that leaves your defenders without multiple outlets / options on the break out. Teams today (watch LA and the NYR are often putting TWO guys in deep to force the one defender with the puck.

Forwards need to be back deeper, if they see that, they need to be cognizant of the pressure being placed on their dman and provide support. Just as you the see the Sedins in the offensive zone cycle and support when one of them faces pressure, so too do forwards have to play a similar role for their dmen in the defensive zone. Did any Edler haters see much support last year? Not me!

this is why Linden wants to keep him...I played and coached hockey competitively guys, more to it than simple nervousness, or Edler sucks.

I've been saying that our forwards need to play lower, better defence and that our 5 man unit need to work better together for a while now - that's what made us so suscessful in 2011. Forwards and defencemen defended and attacked as a unit. Last season, under Tortorella's scheme, the forwards were far too aggressive and often left the defencemen vulnerable.

However, guys like Bieksa, Edler and Garrison were particularly victimized. You can't say it's entirely a forward-fault when you compare Tanev and Hamhuis' play (on the same team, with the same forwards), to that of Edler. There's almost a +50 differential on the ice between those guys. Fact of the matter is that Tanev and Hamhuis play simple games and don't complicate it with trying to score whereas Edler does, and when he thinks too much and tries to do too much, he gets himself into defensive problems that compound.

They won't ask him to waive, but they did subscribe him to receive housing brochures and promotional literature from all the cities they are interested in trading him too.

Don't ask, take the subliminal approach!

Next week, they will start having him work with a hypnotist who will implant hypnotic suggestion!!!

::D

I think Edler's performance next season will depend on who would be our next coach.

Don't really care for Garrison... every time I watch him play he's missing the net more often than not. IMO he's bordering on "overpaid" status. Then again most of the team under performed.

Both Torts and AV had the problem of not actually doing all that much coaching, with Torts not even practicing seriously. Maybe actually practicing would be useful to the offensive dman, despite the fact Torts tried to make him play like Willie Mitchell.

How-About-No.-Doctor-Evil-W630.jpg

The problem is and has always been deployment and usage.

Archived