[Report] Canucks initiate talks with Bolland

Centers:

Henrik Sedin

Ryan Kesler(most likely traded)

Mike Santorelli

Zac Dalpe

Brad Richardson

Bo Horvat

Sam Reinhart(assuming the Canucks trade up for the 1st overall pick)

Shawn Matthias

We got lots of centers. So I'm guessing Mike Santorelli and a few others aren't going to get re-signed?

To be honest I'd take Bolland over Santorelli. Unless Santorelli can convert to the wing. Brad Richardson could be our 4th line center. Zac Dalpe for is questionable. I don't know what will happen to him. If we do draft Reinhart(most likely not), he'd instantly be our second line center. That leaves us with Bo Horvat. Would you rather have him or Brad Richardson? Because if you are trying to make a prospect "grow to his full potential", you wouldn't place him on the 4th line so that he gets 3-6 minute of ice time. So we already got a depth center in Richardson. But if we were to put Horvat on the wing, would he be able to adapt? Or would we put Horvat in center, and put Dave Bolland at wing? We don't want to stunt Horvat's growth so to me that would be the better option.

So if we were to sign Bolland:

Sedin/Sedin/Jensen

Burrows/Reinhart/Kassian

Higgins/Horvat/Bolland

Hansen/Richardson/Matthias

Sestito/Santorelli/

So this would be our starting 4 lines.

Not bad. We could add Sestito in the starting 4 to add size. Man that third line looks pretty hot. I hope Bolland is not asking a lot or that would be a bad move by the Canucks if we were to pay him over 5 mill. But I just don't see Santorelli coming back if this were to happen. So is Benning not planning ON re signing Santorelli?

I think Jensen will be given the spot there. He had some pretty solid chemistry with the twins last season and don't see why they at least wouldn't give it another shot.

Daniel-Henrik-Jensen

Higgins - Horvat/Reinhart - Santorelli

Burrows - Bolland - Kassian

...I like the looks of that.

Same here, Ott would be nice too:

Daniel-Henrik-Jensen

Higgins - Horvat/Reinhart - Santorelli

Burrows - Bolland/ Ott - Kassian

Richardson - Matthias - Hansen

I know Benning's smart enough not to pay it, and certainly Linden will appreciate the history. No harm in asking I guess, but since the Bolland camp has said they won't talk until the Kesler trade is completed (he wouldn't fit otherwise) I doubt we see much traction on this anyway.

If you want some good news though:

This after another report where the Canucks are looking for bottom 6 help but haven't spoken to Boyle, Fiddler or Ott yet.

Hahahahahaha... Oh wait, you were serious? He apparently wants to sign in Toronto, so no way he overprices himself that much just for them because Nonuts signed Clarkson to a stupid deal. The only way he takes that little is if he isn't signed right away and has to settle for a lesser deal or risk not finding a team.

That IS good news. Our bottom 6 help NEEDS to start coming from within....Grenier, Archie etc ALL have earned a chance for a full time spot

Hahahahahaha... Oh wait, you were serious? He apparently wants to sign in Toronto, so no way he overprices himself that much just for them because Nonuts signed Clarkson to a stupid deal. The only way he takes that little is if he isn't signed right away and has to settle for a lesser deal or risk not finding a team.

Perhaps I lowballed a little bit ;)

Don't read to much into this rumour, don't think first year GM and a respected hockey man in Jim Benning would risk a tampering charge. Bolland is still under contract with Toronto and no talks can happen until July 5th. So I call BS on this rumour.

Not true teams are aloud to start talking to UFA 's 6 days before the start of free agency they are just not aloud to talk money but can ask if they would be interested in playing for them and term I think how many years they are looking for ball park

I wouldn't mind him but I still want Mike Santorelli on the team

D.Sedin-H.Sedin-Jensen ------15mins

Higgins-Bolland-Kassian -------15mins

Shinkaruk-Reinhart-Burrows --15mins

Mathias-Richardson-Santorelli-15mins

You know what... swap Higgins and Shinkaruk occassionally (who is playing better tonight) and that's a decent lineup. Not a dynasty lineup, but it would be fun to watch. And they'd all have jump.

even though I highly doubt he will end up in VAN, I wouldn't be surprised if him and Kassian (how ironic lol) would have excellent chemistry together. Bolland has that top end skill that Richardson doesn't, and both protect/battle for the puck very well, so I wouldn't be surprised if Kassian and him got going together. And yeah, add Burrows or Jensen and you've got a work hard line going on there.

Um, can they do that? Legally talk to UFA's before July 1st, that is?

Yes, there's a discovery period now that just started and runs until a few days after the draft. Last year they weren't allowed to talk even general contract numbers, but there was no way to really police that so they've allowed general terms to be discussed.

They have to have permission. They would have spoken to the Leafs, agreed on a price for his rights, then contacted Bolland with permission.

New CBA teams can talk to pending UFAs on June 25. They can agree on a deal but can't sign it until July 1st

How are we allowed to talk to him if he is still under contract with TO?

Prospective free-agents, now have the right, under the new CBA, to have contact with other teams prior to July 1st, for the purposes of "wooing" prospective deals... to use as leverage in their current negotiations with their teams & others.

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/06/24/pending-nhl-free-agents-can-start-listening-to-offers

"...From June 25-30, pending free agents and their representatives will be allowed to talk to teams for the six days leading up to the opening of free agency on July 1."

Yes, there's a discovery period now that just started and runs until a few days after the draft. Last year they weren't allowed to talk even general contract numbers, but there was no way to really police that so they've allowed general terms to be discussed.

Okay. Sounds good to put that to paper since teams were obviously doing it anyway.

I'm all for Bolland as a Canuck and at Kesler's salary as long as the term is low. They're going to need some warm bodies to fill the lockerroom. And it will provide some exciting post-game scrum crap for our mad dog media.

Archived