The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks to sign UFA starting goalie

Visp

Hiller seems to be like Luongo, in that all the goalies he plays with seem to play well. Seems to have a good effect on them.

The only problem with this is Markstrom. Hate to lose him on waivers. Hope there's a trade to be made out there with a team needing a "goalie of the future". This would be hilarious, but...what about New Jersey? They don't have a backup or much in the way of prospects.

Either way, if we don't get at least a 2nd - even 3rd - round pick for Markstrom, then that Luongo deal is going to start looking pretty terrible.

You can't deny he would benefir from a 1a-1b situation though. I love Eddie, but he needs some help and if the brass thinks markstrom isn't that guy, they need to get a guy like Hiller

I still think the trio of Lack Markstrom Eriksson is plenty enough talent to see us through on a retool and gives us a full season to souse out who stays who goes

Im on the train as well,,could be some unhappy Canuck fans before this day is over..not getting a feeling of competance over the last few days.

I won't use the word competence but more lack of experience between the two

Good. Lack is not a terrible goalie, just got thrusted into the position. Signing Hiller or Miller to a 2-year deal and have Lack learn the ropes would be a good thing for every party involved.

Please no. Goaltending is not our main problem.

So if goaltending is not our main problem, there is no reason to improve at that position?Are you saying the Canucks should only address emergencies? Only fix things that are completely destroyed and not try to improve at every position?

Are you suggesting that a GM can't try to address more than one problem?

That, in my opinion, is an idiotic strategy. Idiotic.

I have no problem with signing somebody for a year or two.

That's good management; it challenges both tenders to play their best, as they want to play. It's not a controversy unless people make it one, and I don't think Eddie is quite ready for the full NHL banana of 65+ games. If both guys played ~41 games, that wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. Lots of time with the goalie coach, lots of game time, and play the hot hand.

And if Eddie becomes the undisputed starter over that time, the "signed" goalie can be moved for something at a deadline or draft day down the road. Only money. If Eddie is faltering, then we have another guy who can shoulder the load.

Archived