The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kesler to ANA

I think it's pretty hilarious reading the comments at the beginning of the thread when the trade happened. Many people rather than reserving judgement jumped to the conclusion we got robbed. Not surprising in the least.

Those same people are probably all over the trade right now saying how great it was or probably just shut up...I for one was pleased at the time. Thought we could've gotten a bit more (not a whole lot more), but was still very happy. Didn't get why people were crying and looking at it now, shows why those peoples knee-jerk reactions were dumb.

Those same people are probably all over the trade right now saying how great it was or probably just shut up...I for one was pleased at the time. Thought we could've gotten a bit more (not a whole lot more), but was still very happy. Didn't get why people were crying and looking at it now, shows why those peoples knee-jerk reactions were dumb.

Just getting rid of Kesler was a success for us.

Of course age and term factors into trades, don't be silly.

If Kesler was 26 and just coming off his Selke winning season, he would be worth way more, regardless of a no trade clause.

The reality is, he's 30 now, only has two years left on his contract, and has been in decline the last few seasons. No team is going to give up what LA or Columbus gave up for two 26 year olds in their prime.

They didn't need to because Kesler had a NTC Anaheim was competing with no one

I don't think you've seen the Ducks then. They absolutely need his points. They lost a ton of production from the likes of Perreault, Penner and Bonino. Their team is basically Perry, Getzlaf and SoCal-loving reffing at this point and their roster is riddled with holes.

Their goaltending situation was tenuous and now it's an absolute gongshow with Gibson out 6 weeks and Andersen coming back after being day to day. Their save percentages weren't sustainable anyways but now they'll be lucky to have either of their young guys playing instead of LaBarbera on any given night.

A shout out to their rookies as well who are all doing their damnedest but unsurprisingly aren't exactly the force they've been made out to be on these boards. Vatanen, DSP, Rakell, Etem et al are still having a hell of a time.

Well they're pretty well so far. But if they needed points, they should have went after Spezza instead. I even said before Kesler and Spezza got moved that if they want a playmaking, point producing centrer, they should get Spezza. Kesler isn't this and never has been.

I always said, Kesler would be best suited either as a 3rd line center, or a 2nd line winger.

Kesler doesn't have to be anything more than a second line center on the Ducks. Bonino has to be a second line center on the Canucks or we're in real trouble. The trade looks even at worst for us but has the far greater potential to blow up in our face. Bonino is obviously playing well but he has to maintain this for 82 games and playoffs otherwise we're done.

Kesler doesn't have to be anything more than a second line center on the Ducks. Bonino has to be a second line center on the Canucks or we're in real trouble. The trade looks even at worst for us but has the far greater potential to blow up in our face. Bonino is obviously playing well but he has to maintain this for 82 games and playoffs otherwise we're done.

how does it have greater potential to blow up in our faces?

Canucks got kesler best years the ducks get whatever fuel is left in the tank. That just scratches he surface. We still gained McCann and sbisa.

Anaheim acquired kesler to move them from contender to favorite. we lost Kesler assuming that We'd struggle and finish worst than last. So far Anaheim looks good as do the canucks.

What happens if kesler doesn't resign? Or demands the ducks pony up 7mill?

There is equal blow up for both teams.

Bonino isn't a rookie. He's the same player he was last year - which is why some of us were pretty damn happy to add him in this deal - before he put on a Canucks jersey. This early season sample isn't a small sample 'breakout' - it's Bonino picking up where he left off in Anaheim last year. Apparently some folks around here simply had very little idea who he was before this deal took place - while some others put on their crap goggles and erroneously chalked up all his success to his team-mates - utter nonsense, and contradicts his underlying numbers, which actually indicated that Bonino makes his linemates better in turn.

They didn't need to because Kesler had a NTC Anaheim was competing with no one

Anaheim didn't know that, or they definitely wouldn't have included Bonino. They caved because they really wanted Kesler.

As far as they knew, Chicago and Pittsburgh made solid offers. And they very well could have.

Yes, beat me over the head after every single Bonino goal. Might make you feel better, but who gives a crap?

Here's how it's done:

Well, happy to say that I was flat-out wrong in assessing the trade. Apologies to Benning as well, so far JB's been excellent.

Go ahead, try it. It just may feel good for a change :)

What the hell does this section even mean? Sounds like two different ways of saying that they both better play like 2nd line centres.

^Heh, thanks for that acknowledgement, grizz. I can honestly say it's so easy to admit being way off base, especially in this case. It all comes down to wanting the Canucks to win. It's a classy group, & I'd truly love to see these guys get their names engraved.

Being away from Van for so long, I got particularly po'ed reading all the(US & TSN/SN) ridicule over a team filled with such character. Maybe if I were back home, I'd laugh this nonsense away with fellow fans.

After last season's suspensions, media-ridicule, shoddy reffing, & deliberate injuries I almost felt ready to throw in the towel! Just seems this US-run league never wants a Cdn powerhouse, ever again. If it were a level playing field(esp in 2011), can't help feeling the boys would be champs by now.

^Heh, thanks for that acknowledgement, grizz. I can honestly say it's so easy to admit being way off base, especially in this case. It all comes down to wanting the Canucks to win. It's a classy group, & I'd truly love to see these guys get their names engraved.

Being away from Van for so long, I got particularly po'ed reading all the(US & TSN/SN) ridicule over a team filled with such character. Maybe if I were back home, I'd laugh this nonsense away with fellow fans.

After last season's suspensions, media-ridicule, shoddy reffing, & deliberate injuries I almost felt ready to throw in the towel! Just seems this US-run league never wants a Cdn powerhouse, ever again. If it were a level playing field(esp in 2011), can't help feeling the boys would be champs by now.

You know, we probably would be champs if Manny would have always worn a visor.... And that's the end of that!

Most trades take 5 years to fully evaluate.

Wait till the extra first rounder turns into a player.

If Anaheim wins the cup with kesler they are off the hook. I don't really see it happening to be honest. Year after year, with the exception of the hawks the team with the best goaltender wins the stanley cup. Not to say their goaltending doesn't have that potential lt's just unknown right now.

Archived