The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks going for Virtanen with 6th

Not a chance we take Virtanen at 6th.... that would be ridiculous. He is a mid round pick.

We will have a good possibility of getting a much better player.

Why? Because you think so?

Then why is he 7 on Bob's list? Calgary is interested in him too, although they will most likely pick one of Reinhart, Bennett, Draisaitl or Dal Colle.

Virtanen has one of the best toolboxes in this draft. It's just the other aspects of his game that scouts wonder about. If he rounds out into a complete player, he could be one of the steals of this draft. I think Virtanen makes tons of sense for Vancouver, even without bringing in the Abbottsford factor.

Considering we don't know who's being picked 1-5 yet, and 'this guy' did nothing more than overhear one end of a conversation from some guy I don't recognize I'm not in any way temped to create a thread saying it's official.

It would be the icing on the cake to a horrible day.

I can definitely see why you'd think so, but I disagree.

Benning has made moves today that will keep this team competitive heading into next season, while he also restocked the cupboard with more picks, which leaves us with six top-60 picks in the next two years. Doesn't sound too bad to me!

Though Virtanen may be the pick I don't want the most, there are definitely others in the 6-10 range that I prefer him over.

I can definitely see why you'd think so, but I disagree.

Benning has made moves today that will keep this team competitive heading into next season, while he also restocked the cupboard with more picks, which leaves us with six top-60 picks in the next two years. Doesn't sound too bad to me!

Though Virtanen may be the pick I don't want the most, there are definitely others in the 6-10 range that I prefer him over.

Just overall we have lost value with our assets, the Kesler deal is what it is, we were handcuffed. I really like Bonino, we could get a good prospect at 24 (hopefully Scherbak or Barbashev), and then Sbisa is the real X factor, if he could be a top 4 D for us that make the deal look great.

The Garrison deal feels like we gave away a top 4 D, the positive is cap space and change, but I feel like we should have gotten a bit more.

Then we went out and essentially traded a 2015 3rd rounder for Dorsett, ya its probably a guy Desjardins wants, but that's too high a price to pay for him.

Then this 6th pick, now that we are essentially rebuilding, this pick could be a pillar of our next organization, and we already lacked offense, now we lost our top goal scorer & highest scoring defenseman, that need for offense has only gotten bigger. So if don't take Ehlers/Nylander or a faller I will be kind of disappointed.

People

Who ever we pick will be a huge asset for the organization, so just accept whoever it is and move on.

Not necessarily.

Draft picks can be prone to being busts.

So its fun to discuss possibilities. Whats the problem?

Just overall we have lost value with our assets, the Kesler deal is what it is, we were handcuffed. I really like Bonino, we could get a good prospect at 24 (hopefully Scherbak or Barbashev), and then Sbisa is the real X factor, if he could be a top 4 D for us that make the deal look great.

The Garrison deal feels like we gave away a top 4 D, the positive is cap space and change, but I feel like we should have gotten a bit more.

Then we went out and essentially traded a 2015 3rd rounder for Dorsett, ya its probably a guy Desjardins wants, but that's too high a price to pay for him.

Then this 6th pick, now that we are essentially rebuilding, this pick could be a pillar of our next organization, and we already lacked offense, now we lost our top goal scorer & highest scoring defenseman, that need for offense has only gotten bigger. So if don't take Ehlers/Nylander or a faller I will be kind of disappointed.

I'm not sure we gave garrison away; we got him for free, he wasn't working out to his salary level, so I think we essentially got 'something for nothing' or very little, and we can go out and try again.

'Giving him away' is what we did with Jovanovski years ago.

I'm not sure we gave garrison away; we got him for free, he wasn't working out to his salary level, so I think we essentially got 'something for nothing' or very little, and we can go out and try again.

'Giving him away' is what we did with Jovanovski years ago.

Well he signed for less when he was here, Garrison is a player worth his salary level IMO.

He's an asset, that was worth more than we got, obviously the contract, a down year from everyone, and us needing cap space kinda even it out, but I'm just still left with this feeling that we unsold him.

Oh well.

Well he signed for less when he was here, Garrison is a player worth his salary level IMO.

He's an asset, that was worth more than we got, obviously the contract, a down year from everyone, and us needing cap space kinda even it out, but I'm just still left with this feeling that we unsold him.

Oh well.

Really? The guy gets walked wide every game. Never plays the body. Was way too nice on front of our net. And to top it off, he couldn't hit the net if his life depended on it.

Not necessarily.

Draft picks can be prone to being busts.

So its fun to discuss possibilities. Whats the problem?

No problem with discussing possibilities.

I said what I said because there are too many people on team Ehlers, team Virtanen, team Ritchie, etc.

Dude. Kesler was the top goal scorer because all others who would be above him were injured at one point or another.

Kesler was the top goal scorer playing 22 minutes a game. That's 22 minutes taken away from others. Why do I say that? Because Kesler didn't pass. When he was on the ice, you knew play was going to die out. If Kesler had passed like a true center does, I bet the Canucks woul have made the playoffs.

22 minutes of ice time, second behind only Crosby. For that kind of time, I want some serious production.

Bonino on the bother hand, would most likely fair immensely better than Kesler if he played 22 minutes a game.

Archived