The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks going for Virtanen with 6th

Well he signed for less when he was here, Garrison is a player worth his salary level IMO.

He's an asset, that was worth more than we got, obviously the contract, a down year from everyone, and us needing cap space kinda even it out, but I'm just still left with this feeling that we unsold him.

Oh well.

UFA signing. Worth close to nothing on the market.

Just overall we have lost value with our assets, the Kesler deal is what it is, we were handcuffed. I really like Bonino, we could get a good prospect at 24 (hopefully Scherbak or Barbashev), and then Sbisa is the real X factor, if he could be a top 4 D for us that make the deal look great.

The Garrison deal feels like we gave away a top 4 D, the positive is cap space and change, but I feel like we should have gotten a bit more.

Then we went out and essentially traded a 2015 3rd rounder for Dorsett, ya its probably a guy Desjardins wants, but that's too high a price to pay for him.

Then this 6th pick, now that we are essentially rebuilding, this pick could be a pillar of our next organization, and we already lacked offense, now we lost our top goal scorer & highest scoring defenseman, that need for offense has only gotten bigger. So if don't take Ehlers/Nylander or a faller I will be kind of disappointed.

Fair enough.

I just think that Benning has done an awesome job of keeping this team competitive while getting younger, adding more picks, and giving us a lot more cap space to work with. The way I see it, I think we will be competing for a playoff spot next year. Even with the disastrous season we just had, we weren't far off from landing a wildcard spot (though you can say the same about us almost finishing behind Calgary).

As for Barbashev at 24, can you freaking imagine!?!?

To me, Jake Virtanen could be like Ricky from the Trailer Park Boys. Maybe his senses aren't all there, but he does a few things extremely well, and those are things that are desperately needed, both by the Boys AND by the Nucks. Nucks need a scorer with grit, Julian and Bubs need a guy who can grow and sell certain things, deal with cops, and make them some cash for chicken fingers and liquor - and cat food.

Dude. Kesler was the top goal scorer because all others who would be above him were injured at one point or another.

Kesler was the top goal scorer playing 22 minutes a game. That's 22 minutes taken away from others. Why do I say that? Because Kesler didn't pass. When he was on the ice, you knew play was going to die out. If Kesler had passed like a true center does, I bet the Canucks woul have made the playoffs.

22 minutes of ice time, second behind only Crosby. For that kind of time, I want some serious production.

Bonino on the bother hand, would most likely fair immensely better than Kesler if he played 22 minutes a game.

He was our top goal scorer because he was our best goal scorer, who was going to pass him?

Just because he's not on our team anymore doesn't mean we don't have to give him credit.

Ya he doesn't create plays (exact reason I don't want Virtanen, considering this is a Virtanen thread) and he was overplayed, 22 mins but they were tough mins, what are easier 22 tough minutes or 15-18 sheltered minutes? Just because he played 22 mins doesn't neccisarily mean anything.

The Kesler deal is what it is, I don't have a huge problem with it anymore, I think we should really have tried to get that one big piece, but our hands were tied, and I think there is upside with the move.

UFA signing. Worth close to nothing on the market.

He was worth more on the market when he was a UFA actually.

He was a top 4 D, its nice we cleared cap space, and we moved forward, but Garry was a great person, great player for us, a top 4 D IMO and I feel he is worth a bit more as an asset, but I do recognize that the move was quickly to make cap space & to move forward, so whatever.

Fair enough.

I just think that Benning has done an awesome job of keeping this team competitive while getting younger, adding more picks, and giving us a lot more cap space to work with. The way I see it, I think we will be competing for a playoff spot next year. Even with the disastrous season we just had, we weren't far off from landing a wildcard spot (though you can say the same about us almost finishing behind Calgary).

As for Barbashev at 24, can you freaking imagine!?!?

I don't know if we are competitive, I'm going to wait.

Honestly I don't see this team worse today than it was yesterday, Kesler to Bonino (as much as the move had to be done, and as much as I like Bonino, which I really do) is a downgrade, Garrison to Sbisa is a downgrade, we overpaid for Dorsett who I don't see bringing a major impact to the team, and one of the more understated things, we aren't re-signing Santorelli which is a very big loss IMO, espcially since we delt Kes. Big mistake.

We have to see, it seems like a plan thats not yet complete, so I'm going to wait and see what other moves we can make over the course of the draft & the free agent period.

but yeah, Barbashev at #24 would be a dream, doubtful, but with the Russian factor & the middle of this draft being so wide open, who knows, stranger things have happened!

I disagree, sometimes he was like that, other times he was doing those things well, your looking at the glass half empty, he's not bull out there but he's physical along the board, he's big, he has a good stick, he's got a bomb, ya his slapper misses the net but he was still our top OFD last season.

Oh well, time to move on, hopefully Sbisa will seize the opportunity and realize his potential.

Barring any trades, we're picking 6th, 24th, 36th, 50th and then our later picks...

How could that be a bad day? We're beginning a rebuild here people. This is how it works.

Well, let's see. Most of those picks don't turn out and as much as there's any excitement over them the team doesn't play well enough to be interesting while waiting for them and other picks to mature enough to finally bring the Canucks back into relevance for anything but a lottery pick. That's how it could be a bad day.

Well, let's see. Most of those picks don't turn out and as much as there's any excitement over them the team doesn't play well enough to be interesting while waiting for them and other picks to mature enough to finally bring the Canucks back into relevance for anything but a lottery pick. That's how it could be a bad day.

You'd think this was a Gillis draft with no clue and no picks.

Archived