The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

lul. Toronto development program? Okay, moving on, I thought Virtanen had a pretty good game and the goal was fairly nice. But there are some concerns about his line's chemistry. Either they don't know how to make plays, or he doesn't know how to read what they're going to do. Considering Gauthier is on the line, I think it's fairly obvious what the problem is.

At the NHL level I'm thinking from what little I've seen Virtanen will fit very well, Nylander may too, but you can count on one hand the small under weight European players that make an impact. Here's the thing about small players if they don't play the first line their chnaces of making it further down the roster is slim.

Recorded and watched the game today as I had to work last night.

Gotta say I'm extremely impressed again. Physical in your face play. Some great back checks where he caught the play with ease. One of the best hits of the game and caps it off with a highlight reel goal top shelf showing off great power, speed and hands.

I have to agree that his line mates are holding him back. It makes us a better and deeper team having Lazar, but selfishly it would have been cool watching Jake ripping one timers from McDavid. As things stand I'm really hoping that Jake can find his way onto Petan's wing with Fabbri or Paul.

At the NHL level I'm thinking from what little I've seen Virtanen will fit very well, Nylander may too, but you can count on one hand the small under weight European players that make an impact. Here's the thing about small players if they don't play the first line their chnaces of making it further down the roster is slim.

I can name three that this team has had markus naslund, thomas gradin, and pavel bure that's three of the top 6 scorers in franchise history and 2 of the other three are offensive playmakers from Sweden

You need a mix of Canadians with some Europeans in there as well maybe even an American!!

He'll probably get to play with Strome in the WJC next year. Let him play his role and soak in the experience this year.

he was 4th line last game again seemed to get way more Ice time against the Slovaks. If he keeps playing well he will get his ice time. Of course it would give us a chub if he played with mcjesus but just being on the team and making an impact from the 4th line is awesome. This kids going to be a god in Vancouver.

Are you really going to compare a top10 pick, who's just as good as any Swedish player coming out of the SHL the last decade, with a guy who's 3 inches shorter and fell big time in the draft because of that. And also a player that wasn't even drafted. Sure Hodgson isn't doing good right now, but one could argue that the back injury ruined his development.

I agree that Virtanen will probably make the NHL. He'll turn into a bottom 6 player at least. Would i be happy if he only turned into a bottom 6 player, considering he was drafted 6th overall? Absolutely not. That's simply not good enough. I'm not saying that it will happen, but if it would, then i'd be very disappointed. I also think that "he could also be a bust because of his size and one-dimensional game" is a pretty lazy argument. As i said, he's nowhere near any of those guys that you mentioned in terms of size, and he's only 18, so you wouldn't expect him to be the best guy defensively when he's so gifted offensively. For an example, speed, physical play and a great shot sounds like all you need in a player. There are some important things in between though.

If you look at Nylander, you see a guy that can make his line-mates better. He's got great hands, good speed, and very good vision. He's also playing a pretty un-predictable game, like Patrick Kane. One weakness Virtanen has is that he doesn't use his line-mates great and doesn't have the best vision, which could be the difference between him being a top6 guy or a bottom 6 guy.

Nylander is by no means a 1st center lock. He is, however, playing as good as anyone could have possibly hoped for (probably even better). So it's looking pretty good for him from an early perspective. Virtanen hasn't really excelled his expectations, and his production might be lower than the realistic expectation ever was. It's awesome that he made Team Canada, and that he's making some noise there. Going to be exciting to watch him in the World Juniors.

I think your looking at nylander with rose coloured glasses. He was a bit of a bust for the leafs in camp. A lot of pundits and nonis said they thought he would fight for a spot on the lesafs, but after watching him get crushed they didn't even give him a shot with the marlies cuz they feared he would get killed. Unless this kid gets a lot bigger he will never be in the nhl. Think about it if he was so good as you state wouldn't he have made the marlies? As for Jake you say he has no playmaking skills yet is racking up the assists . and to say he has not lived up to the hype, he came back from a majourinjury and has been on fire the last 8 games and has been playing very well at the worlds. I get that people who wanted nylander will try to hate on jake but at least get your facts straight first. if jake was playing for modo id bet the farm he would have more then 19 points in 19 games and if jake was rfrafted by the leafs and could have gone to the marlies id also bet the farm thats where he would have gone sorry but nylander is the one who didn't live up to expectations Jake has been doing just fine.

I think your looking at nylander with rose coloured glasses. He was a bit of a bust for the leafs in camp. A lot of pundits and nonis said they thought he would fight for a spot on the lesafs, but after watching him get crushed they didn't even give him a shot with the marlies cuz they feared he would get killed. Unless this kid gets a lot bigger he will never be in the nhl. Think about it if he was so good as you state wouldn't he have made the marlies? As for Jake you say he has no playmaking skills yet is racking up the assists . and to say he has not lived up to the hype, he came back from a majourinjury and has been on fire the last 8 games and has been playing very well at the worlds. I get that people who wanted nylander will try to hate on jake but at least get your facts straight first. if jake was playing for modo id bet the farm he would have more then 19 points in 19 games and if jake was rfrafted by the leafs and could have gone to the marlies id also bet the farm thats where he would have gone sorry but nylander is the one who didn't live up to expectations Jake has been doing just fine.

No!!! You got it all wrong...

To talk up one player (Nylander), you have to put down the other player!!! (Virtanen)

18 year old draft picks cannot play for AHL Marlies.

Don't really care about Nylander. Canucks didn't draft him they drafted Virtanen. I like what I see with him and his size and speed should work very well in the Pacific Division. Virtanen-Kassian-Matthias-Horvat-Jensen and Guance all have size and speed.

Looking good Canucks!

• Upvote 4

@Boudrias:

18 year olds can play in the AHL, if they are drafted out of Europe or college.

The NHL/CHL Agreement governs junior players only, and they are subject to the 20 years old rule.

But Euro and college players need only turn 18 by September 15, which Nylander would have satisfied. Therefore he could have played AHL this year.

• Upvote 1