The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Thatcher Demko reminds me of Kesler big time.

But bo is probably most comparable to kesler but i believe bo will be a lot better.

I also hear McCann is very similar to kesler

Agreed. Andrey Pedan also has a Kesler like game in my eyes. They both have an "e" as the second letter of their last name among other things.

I'll leave it up for discussion because frankly I haven't seen much of Virtanen to have a concrete knowledge of his game.

But from what I've seen from him, I've found his game to be eerily similar to Kesler's. A big body who throws his weight around, isn't afraid to scrap and has a strong ability to put the puck in the net...

is my connection between the two viable? or have I not seen enough of virtanens game to make that judgement?

where do you see virtanen fitting into the canucks going forward? hopefully he'll be everything we've hoped for

god I hope not. The more I watch kesler this year the more relieved I am that he's not a Canuck anymore and the more I laugh at how badly JB ripped them off.

If anything, I'd say Horvat is more like Kesler but bigger and stronger, maybe a bit slower though.

Horvat's skating speed has increased a lot since pre-season. I remember him as a bit sluggish in pre-season... of course he was skating beside Shinkaruk at the time. lol

Excited about Virtanen. He will need to work on his defensive play at the NHL level for Willie to play him.

For the record, Snookie is the new Kesler.

Edited by Eddie Ikea Lack

There are a few similarities, but not enough for an all-out cloning.

Main difference is that Virtanen keeps the "I am a total prick" act on the ice. Off it he seems to be a really nice kid. But no doubt a lot of enemy NHL players will grow to hate him for what he'll do to them on the ice. Hate, but probably respect.

Ive seen him play lots over the past few seasons with the Hitmen, his game is quite different from Keslers, Virtanen is much more of a power forward, he backchecks well but wont likely be a Selke style forward, and, probably the biggest differnce is that I havent seen him cartwheel or tumbleweed dive once in his career yet.

• Upvote 1

I'll leave it up for discussion because frankly I haven't seen much of Virtanen to have a concrete knowledge of his game.

But from what I've seen from him, I've found his game to be eerily similar to Kesler's. A big body who throws his weight around, isn't afraid to scrap and has a strong ability to put the puck in the net...

is my connection between the two viable? or have I not seen enough of virtanens game to make that judgement?

where do you see virtanen fitting into the canucks going forward? hopefully he'll be everything we've hoped for

Kesler isn't afraid to drop the gloves? Sure looked like it when he wouldn't even look at Dorsett when he challenged him for the hit Kesler put on him the last time they played. Really Funny after Kesler's comments towards Kronwall, when he said guys who throw those hits should be ready to answer the bell. Virtanen doesn't play the same position, is way more physical and a better goal scorer than Kesler was at the same age, so I don't get the comparison. I hope he's nothing like Kesler, who was a cancer in the dressing room.

invisible like he was against the Canucks and then even worse against the Flames. That's been far more than norm for Kesler this year and pretty much going back a cpl years as well.

He's a guy you need in the playoffs. Regular season is a wash for the Ducks anyway