The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

8 hours ago, Mathew Barzal said:

I'm attempting to transfer the debate to one thread, where updates on the trio of Ehlers, Nylander and Virtanen can all take place. Hopefully it works out...

I really like this idea, can we start a thread just specifically for Desi too?

We could call it "illiterate hockey ramblings" or just keep it simple "BoSang the Savior"

8 hours ago, Mathew Barzal said:

10 hours ago, Jiggs50 said:

All I know is come playoffs I want Virtanen, and not the puny girly looking center

So why are Virtanen's playoff stats so bad compared to a "puny girly looking center?"

Compared to players that are puny girly looking centers anyways... 

Edited by suitup

9 minutes ago, suitup said:

So why are Virtanen's playoff stats so bad compared to a "puny girly looking center?"

Compared to players that are puny girly looking centers anyways... 

Both have 0 nhl playoff points. I was talking about going forward...

47 minutes ago, Jiggs50 said:

Both have 0 nhl playoff points. I was talking about going forward...

Exactly which means there is no objective reason to say that one is a playoff performer while the other isn't. 

They both have their assets which would be useful in playoff hockey. In some ways I feel like they would perfectly complement each other on a line.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Toews said:

Exactly which means there is no objective reason to say that one is a playoff performer while the other isn't. 

They both have their assets which would be useful in playoff hockey. In some ways I feel like they would perfectly complement each other on a line.

Bingo. And I'm not sure you could say one would need more than the other. Jake needs somebody who can drive play and possession a bit while Willy needs a guy like Jake who can get in on the forecheck to retrieve the puck and then open up space for him.

edit: to further elaborate on that...obviously it's not that hard to find somebody to do what I suggest jake does, but JV is already doing it at an elite level at only 19. I'm on my mobile but when I'm home later I'll find the article I read not too long ago about his offensive takeaways per 60. It was top 5 or 10 in the league.

Edited by Wild Sean Monahan
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, canuck_forever said:

Can all of the Nylander lover boys start their own thread??? Thanks

Can all of the Virtanen lover boys stop bringing him up?

Honestly, if you follow back, it was a random bash post on Nylander out of nowhere. They're both good players, both with different skillsets, and both producing pretty similarly currently. Nylander's a top level offensive center with high hockey IQ, where Virtanen is a physically mature player with speed and a shot. Both fit our lineup needs.

On 21/03/2016 at 2:32 PM, The 5th Line said:

Yeah, I'll be the first to admit I was very hard on Jake at the start of the year, but the Nylander talk gets a little out of hand sometimes.  I was labelled some sort of Nylander supporter, even though I was never actually the one to bring up his name , it is always the "anti-Nylander" crowd who brings his name in to the discussion and then the other posters come in and see the state of the conversation and just assume that the people(like me) who were hard on Jake at the start of the year are the ones who keep bringing his name up.  It's like people forced me in to being a Nylander supporter or something and I just went with it because I was so frustrated with what I had seen from Jake.   Nylander has a very high upside, I like his poise with the puck and he can already pass and shoot with the best of them.  I think he will be a more valuable player than Jake moving forward, but I hope I am wrong.  

It's not a nice thing to say about young guys, but I hope all Leaf prospects fail, including Nylander.  I would prefer if Toronto stayed in the basement forever.

We can hope we find some loophole that gifts him to us because, well, the Leafs. Then we'd get the best of both worlds!

But yeah, the Virtanen supporters put the fan in fanatical sometimes, often irrationally so. It's a healthy debate on two linked prospects. There doesn't have to be a winner and a loser, and it's not Thunderdome either.

thunderdome.jpg

The fact that I don't even need to fuel the Nylander vs Virtanen fire is proof enough that this was a controversial pick. Obviously everyone knows who I would have picked but honestly it'll be hard to compare the two players over the course of their careers.

For their rookie NHL seasons though (although Nylander won't count as a rookie until next year when he'll be quite developed), both have played with similar quality linemates (Virtanen's slightly better) and similarly crap teams (Virtanen's slightly better). Physically of course Virtanen has the edge, but offensively Nylander has just about doubled Virtanen's point production per game and has been stronger defensively.

Of course it's still early days but I think it's fair to say that in the first season of NHL play, despite how few games and how meaningless they are, you have to give the first win to Nylander.

11 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

The fact that I don't even need to fuel the Nylander vs Virtanen fire is proof enough that this was a controversial pick. Obviously everyone knows who I would have picked but honestly it'll be hard to compare the two players over the course of their careers.

For their rookie NHL seasons though (although Nylander won't count as a rookie until next year when he'll be quite developed), both have played with similar quality linemates (Virtanen's slightly better) and similarly crap teams (Virtanen's slightly better). Physically of course Virtanen has the edge, but offensively Nylander has just about doubled Virtanen's point production per game and has been stronger defensively.

Of course it's still early days but I think it's fair to say that in the first season of NHL play, despite how few games and how meaningless they are, you have to give the first win to Nylander.

The sample size isn't meaningful enough to have much significance though. Larkin started the season hot as well and subsequently cooled off. Rookies usually struggle to find consistency all season.

Besides Nylander has been playing against pro players for most part of 3 years now. It hasn't even been a year yet for Jake. It's no surprise that Nylander is the more developed player. You can see it when you watch them play. Jake is the more raw prospect and it will take him longer to reach his peak than Nylander. I am personally hoping that his career trajectory can mirror that of a guy like Shane Doan. 

• Upvote 3

37 minutes ago, Toews said:

The sample size isn't meaningful enough to have much significance though. Larkin started the season hot as well and subsequently cooled off. Rookies usually struggle to find consistency all season.

Besides Nylander has been playing against pro players for most part of 3 years now. It hasn't even been a year yet for Jake. It's no surprise that Nylander is the more developed player. You can see it when you watch them play. Jake is the more raw prospect and it will take him longer to reach his peak than Nylander. I am personally hoping that his career trajectory can mirror that of a guy like Shane Doan. 

Yes. 

Nylander is much more developed than Virtanen. This is the first full season Virtanen has played agaisnt men. Nylander? His 3rd-4th season. He's much developed. He's also had a full year and 3/4 of a season in the AHL to develop. But Nylander is definitely the better prospect however, just a little premature, but Virtanen is a great 6th overall pick if you determine the previous 6th overall picks and their rookie seasons. 

I made a post quite awhile ago that included points of their rookie totals and how many highest points they've had in a season. I made this particular post because people were absolutely going crazy about what Virtanen would turn out. I'll just say it again, he won't turn into a Jamie Benn, nor will he turn into a Cam Neely, or a Todd Bertuzzi, etc. If Virtanen can get 60-65 points a season, that is absolutely spectacular for a 6th overall pick. 70 pts is absolutely ASTONISHING, for a 6th overall pick. 

His best comparable right now? Scott Hartnell. Both 6th overall picks. Virtanen needs 3 more points to tie Hartnell's rookie season while playing about 15-20 games less.

Loved this pick from the beginning, and still like it today. However, is Nylander the better player than Virtanen in terms of offense etc? Yes. But not every aspect of the game. In the physical department, Virtanen wins. In the defensive department, I really can't say since I don't know what Nylander's issues are but Virtanen never had defensive issues and still today doesn't. Note that Virtanen also leads the team in Corsi % which is a very important stat and he's leading it as a rookie. You're going to expect offense totals from Nylander because he's a pure offensive forward. Virtanen plays that West type of game. Power, speed, mix of skill, grit, shot, etc.

Especially since were going to be drafting high this season, if we pick someone that can put up a vast majority of points depending on where we're picking (Puljujarvi, Laine, Tkachuk, Dubois, Alex Nylander),if we pick one those forwards, this will blend very well with a 50-60 point power forward.

• Upvote 1

With all this talk about JV and Nylander, I just wanna say that I was always on #teamEhlers lol. 

But I do believe Virtanen was the right pick for us. Kid will be do us proud next year with Matthews ^_^ as his center...

Edited by Jiggs50
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

First win went to Jake when, after his return from the WJC he dominated games both physically and on the score sheet.  Then he started to lose focus off the ice.  This lack of character does concern me.  Nylander is winning round two.