The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

On 3/5/2017 at 0:20 PM, OptionalPants said:

Horvat was actually ranked lower than 5-10 by most which made him quite a huge sleeper pick. However, I would defnitely be pleased if the Nucks grabbed Villardi with their pick (sleeper or not). Also, I would say that Barkov is easily a better forward than Horvat at this point offensively and defnsively, not to take anything away from Horvat as their is an argument to be made for him being the 2nd best forward in that draft which is incredible.

But anyways, this is Virtanen talk, so I should probably make a comment on his play. Very nice to see him getting a goal last night, and considering how all I've heard is that his game is improving...maybe this is the confidence booster he needs to start racking up the points?

I don't know about that, Horvat's stock has shot up like a rocket, he's considered an NHL star now and he plays with such confidence it's almost like he knew it all along,

Barkov can't seem to stay healthy long enough to really establish himself the way Horvat has, it's great to have offensive ability, but if your only on the ice for half the games, there is a lot of something you aren't doing very well

I'll take Horvat any day

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

I am thinking that it will take a bit of patience.. Virt is young and a good 5-6 years in the AHL learning the game is probably a good thing for him

hahaha 5-6years. That would be absolute worse case scenario and he'd be traded before then. Virtanen can compete for a spot in the next couple years and will be on our team in 3.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

hahaha 5-6years. That would be absolute worse case scenario and he'd be traded before then. Virtanen can compete for a spot in the next couple years and will be on our team in 3.

3 years from now?? Not a chance,  it doesn't work like that

These kids do not have unlimited time, they are supposed to have been sufficiently scouted so the team who drafts them knows they at least know how to play hockey

If Jake needs 3 more years, to get back on NHL ice then he is a terrible hockey player for his draft position one of the all time great Canuck blunders

There are new prospects coming in every year, the Veteran prospects have about 3 years TOTAL after being drafted to pull it together, if they don't they become some other team's reclamation project, or they just fade away

This coming year is it. Jake needs to play his way onto the team, either at training camp or during a call-up or that's it, management will probably make their final call based on what they see at training camp, if he doesn't show up motivated, in shape and hell bent on making the opening night roster, I believe they will seriously try to move him, I know they have already tested the waters to see who might be interested (Remember Benning's prospect for prospect nugget he let drop?)

Hopefully Jake goes to Gary Roberts this summer....Hell, ask the Sedins if you can go to Sweden and train with them this summer, that might even get you a serious look as their linemate

Even if he stays here this summer which I think is a terrible idea, but if he does, LInden is a conditioning Freak who once he retired dropped a bunch of weight and started doing long distance cycling, he's probably in better shape then some guys on the team now, Trev still trains daily and is focused entirely on cardio

Thank to Alex Burrows I know Jake has Trev's number, Spending the summer doing insane cardio with the most respected man in franchise history would influence jake in the two areas he needs it most, character and conditioning,

And as for Trev could there be a better use of his time as president, then making sure the first major pick of his regime turns it around? This kid needs some mentorship badly because if left to his own devices last summer all he did was party and expect to be given a roster spot then he needs to be supervised?Who is watching this kid? Ready to put boot-in-ass if thing get off the rails? I think his dad might want to be a little more hands on too.

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, gameburn2 said:

Virtanen is still a work in progress.  I think he will be, at minimum, a Torres.   He is a great passer and a fantastic skater.  His problem is his other skillset: he hits like a truck.  And in a market/on a team with so little physicality, this can be an easy option for him.  He has to be a Neely type: hold the puck, make plays, go to the net like Horvat and provoke the occasional penalty (a la Burrows.) 

I think he is a young player, young for his age.  Two tricky injuries in his Junior career have retarded his development.  Nevertheless, he is the real deal, or at least could be.  If he can be the player he is meant to be, he could be another Mike Bossy with a bit of Neely thrown in.  Think of him as 19 and a half, rather than in his twenties.

Serious? You pick out one of the greatest goal scorers of all time to compare him to? Rookie of the year Mike Bossy i think only once (his last season) scored under 50 goals in a season... the all time leader in Goals per game. In junior he was unreal at goal scoring too.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

Serious? You pick out one of the greatest goal scorers of all time to compare him to? Rookie of the year Mike Bossy i think only once (his last season) scored under 50 goals in a season... the all time leader in Goals per game. In junior he was unreal at goal scoring too.

Are fans completely blind to Jake's struggles?  As it stands now, we will be lucky if Jake becomes an NHL regular.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

I'm pulling for Jake and I believe everything will work out for him, but if he even becomes half of Mike bossy, I will eat my socks. What a ridiculous comment lol. This is Jake Virtanen not Ovechkin

lmao! I think at this point you could say 25 percent of Bossy and not have to worry about cotton in your diet.

• Upvote 2

He's still learning how to score against men, I don't think we need to worry about the B word until the end of his Waiver free period. I wish we didn't rush him into the NHL last year, but it was also exciting to see him play.

Green is happy with his development. That means more to me than his scoring because clearly there are bigger issues in the mind of his head coach that need to be fixed. If Jake was scoring as much or more than Subban in his first year of the AHL, but didn't know how to play D, we would probably be in the same position developmentally. Still needs another year to develop after this year in my opinion. No point in rushing these important waiver free years. We can still sign him to a cheap contract when he's 22 and get him another look in the NHL.

I hope he starts in Utica again next year, and then gets the call ups and shows well. That's the right way to go about this in my opinion, but I'm just looking at other teams development of players.

JV clearly has had a terrible start to his career (based on draft position). That said, I 'think' he is in the process of learning some hard lessons and I'd like to see him actually make the Canucks next year. The youth movement around him would be good where guys like BH, SB, and MG have made huge strides and should be great mentors for him. Plus, I think he'll be better playing with better players. That Utica team is high on heart but low on talent. JV needs skill players around him at this point IMO. Put him on a line with the Sedins (again, great mentors) and let him use his speed and physicality to help them. If he doesn't show growth being around the next captain (Bo) and playing with two all-time greats then the Canucks will really know who/what this guy is.  

• Upvote 2

It seems like with all the bickering around Virtanen that he has been in the system for 5+ years. Correct me if I am wrong, but did he not show enough of what got him drafted to make management believe he had earned a spot to start on the team out of his first training camp. His game looked good enough through the limit of needed games not to send him back to the Calgary Hitmen(opinion subject to the individual). This is where the risk of taking the chance that he was ready handcuffed the Canucks and Jake, he had no where to go if his game started to struggle.( too late mistake learned). 

Jake had a shoulder injury that seemed to really hamper his confidence in his physical play.

Somewhere along the way his summer of training was not supervised our poorly planed and he put too much weight on.

Lets just say nothing was done right to help in his development both by him and Van. This hampered both his mental and physical development.

Next year will be Jake's most important year of development, here is hoping he and the Canucks get it right this time around.

The raw skills are there and everyone knows what those are.

Edited by vancan2233

3 minutes ago, vancan2233 said:

It seems like with all the bickering around Virtanen that he has been in the system for 5+ years. Correct me if I am wrong, but did he not show enough of what got him drafted to make management believe he had earned a spot to start on the team out of his first training camp. His game looked good enough through the limit of needed games not to send him back to the Calgary Hitmen(opinion subject to the individual). This is where the risk of taking the chance that he was ready handcuffed the Canucks and Jake, he had no where to go if his game started to struggle.( too late mistake learned). 

Jake had a shoulder injury that seemed to really hamper his confidence in his physical play.

Somewhere along the way his summer of training was not supervised our poorly planed and he put too much weight on.

Lets just say nothing was done right to help in his development both by him and Van. This hampered both his mental and physical development.

Next year will be Jake's most important year of development, here is hoping he and the Canucks get it right this time around.

The raw skills are there and everyone those what those are.

I think next camp will be the telling sign for Jake.  He comes fit and ready to play, and we have a player.  He shows up again fat, and not ready to play, and he's a bust.

Just now, Alflives said:

I think next camp will be the telling sign for Jake.  He comes fit and ready to play, and we have a player.  He shows up again fat, and not ready to play, and he's a bust.

I do not think the Canucks well allow him(or the canucks) to hamper his off season training this time around. He will or should be closely supervised this time around. Have him spend most his summer with Bo.

Just now, vancan2233 said:

I do not think the Canucks well allow him(or the canucks) to hamper his off season training this time around. He will or should be closely supervised this time around. Have him spend most his summer with Bo.

I think it's in the CBA that the teams have to leave the guys alone in the summer.  Bo most likely would have nothing to do with a guy like Virtanen.  I doubt Jake ever worked hard a day in his life, to be honest.  I say Jake pays up, and spends the summer at that hockey camp that ex Flames player runs in Ontario: Gary Roberts?