The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

3 hours ago, The Lock said:

That's all hindsight though and I tend to wonder how a lot of these people who use hindsight as "proof" what they actually would have done at that time WITHOUT knowing what they know now.

Fair enough - who is to say for example that the Canucks would've drafted Glen Wesley with the pick.  Still, it goes to show you what happens when you have a team (in the state it was at the time - fairly awful) when you deal a non-protected 1st round pick (and again forget that Neely was involved) for a guy coming off a major injury.

Now if the team was say like it was in 2010 - why not "go for it"?  But it clearly wasn't.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

Yeah. He's shown flashes of what he is capable of. He just needs to mature in my opinion. Some people are late to mature. (Some people never mature but that's another story)

Whether or not that happens, I guess we'll find out one way or another. I also look at it as it was Benning's first draft and since then I've been impressed overall by the players he has drafted. You can tell come draft time he's like a kid in a candy store. lol

This ^, short simple & most of all so true. 

6 hours ago, nowhereman said:

The kid makes close to a million dollars a year. I'd say there's a better chance you'd be serving him Timbits and hash browns than the other way around. :P

That's probably true..maybe he'll take his money and buy a Tim Horton's franchise and I can work for him when I retire.  Hope he can handle having a cranky old dude on staff serving up Timbits (when did they start selling hash browns at Tim Hortons?).

What do you think the over/under on his ELC+1 contract will be?  I'm going to wager that it's going to be under $750K (which would still land him on the higher end of upper-middle class in my 'hood in Crescent Beach).

3 minutes ago, bigbadcanucks said:

That's probably true..maybe he'll take his money and buy a Tim Horton's franchise and I can work for him when I retire.  Hope he can handle having a cranky old dude on staff serving up Timbits (when did they start selling hash browns at Tim Hortons?).

What do you think the over/under on his ELC+1 contract will be?  I'm going to wager that it's going to be under $750K (which would still land him on the higher end of upper-middle class in my 'hood in Crescent Beach).

Guys like Jake waste their money.  His career (becoming more clear) will be a short one.  He will have no money, no skills, and no job before he’s 25.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Guys like Jake waste their money.  His career (becoming more clear) will be a short one.  He will have no money, no skills, and no job before he’s 25.  

Whoa...I thought I was being harsh on Virtanen.  But Alf takes it to a whole new level.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Whoa...I thought I was being harsh on Virtanen.  But Alf takes it to a whole new level.

Alf is miffed at Jake for following Alf’s path, by wasting his God given talents.  True Jake is wasting great athletic skills, and I only wasted my gifts as a Walmart Greeter, but...:lol:

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Alf is miffed at Jake for following Alf’s path, by wasting his God given talents.  True Jake is wasting great athletic skills, and I only wasted my gifts as a Walmart Greeter, but...:lol:

Maybe you and I can both work for Jake at his Tim Hortons?  That might a little harder work than being a greeter at WalMart...are you up for it, Alf?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Maybe you and I can both work for Jake at his Tim Hortons?  That might a little harder work than being a greeter at WalMart...are you up for it, Alf?

Absolutely!  We could put up all Jake’s jerseys from the Euro league teams he ends up playing for.  I can’t stop myself. :(  Bad Alf.

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Maybe Jake reaching the NHL and becoming an instant millionaire, he thought he has reached the top?

Possibly he is not like Bo and does not want to work to get better and be a star in the league

Even the so called plugs in the NHL were stars growing up and not everyone can play on the 1st line , or is as good as the players when they finally reach the ultimate league

If you are not willing to accept that you are no longer the star and look how you can contribute, soon you will be gone

Getting to the NHL didn't require as much work, growing up, when he was bigger and faster and it was easier for him

Maybe he is just happy to make millions each year instead of 8mil/yr and coast, just sporadically working hard  enough to keep a paycheque coming in?

I had hoped he was going to be a star, maybe he is just content?

I don't think he will top out more than a softer Kassian though, another player who excited this group when he 1st got here (I hope I am wrong)

• Upvote 1

Jake hasn't scored on a goalie since Dec 21, in San Jose. He has just 2 goals on a goalie in his last 21 games. I usually have defended him but for a player with great speed and a deadly shot off the wing, I have yet to see it. A local player who has always dreamed of playing for his home team but just can't put it together. Something is very wrong between his ears.

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

oh come on Alf, Bertuzzi was a struggling throw-in piece in the deal when we got him, lets see where Jake is at the ripe old age of 23 before writing him off. 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

oh come on Alf, Bertuzzi was a struggling throw-in piece in the deal when we got him, lets see where Jake is at the ripe old age of 23 before writing him off. 

Bert was averaging around 0.41ppg when he was traded or basically a 35 point player and this was peak dead-puck era. He was 0.76ppg in the IHL. He had proven that he could produce in the pros.

Jake is at 0.23ppg NHL, 0.28ppg AHL basically at the clip of a 4th liner at both levels. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Toews said:

Bert was averaging around 0.41ppg when he was traded or basically a 35 point player and this was peak dead-puck era. He was 0.76ppg in the IHL. He had proven that he could produce in the pros.

Jake is at 0.23ppg NHL, 0.28ppg AHL basically at the clip of a 4th liner at both levels. 

Bert had 18 pts in 52 games, -19,  when we got him at age 23 when he was traded, thats very similar to Jake. Bert was struggling. Lets see where Jake is at in 2 years. 

I  needed a time machine to find this article, Bert was having a hard time with the NYI so there are similarities to Jakes situation: http://www.nytimes.com/1998/02/07/sports/hockey-isles-get-linden-for-2-young-players.html

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I am on the patience train in regards to Virtanen. I am going to reserve my judgments on him for a while.

Very true, this team is rebuilding so there is no need to rush to judgement. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bigbadcanucks said:

At this stage, if Jake Virtanen gets to be Raffi Torres without the crazy eyes, I'd be super happy.

He doesnt play like Torres tho.

He lacks the aggression.

"Thinks" too much before making plays or hits.

His frequent covering the D-man and staying high in the forecheck decoys his laziness/ lack of stamina.

He stays in the high slot while his linemates hound the puck.. except that his horrendous positioning prevents him from ever getting the puck. 

Wake up Jake. 

Don't fool yourself thinking you are still our blue chip prospect. 

Play hard with urgency, learn the game and work your way up.  

Be truthful to your weaknesses and play like a true 4th liner and maybe you will get more ice time in which you could possibly develop other aspects of your game and move up.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, LowerMainLander18 said:

He doesnt play like Torres tho.

He lacks the aggression.

"Thinks" too much before making plays or hits.

His frequent covering the D-man and staying high in the forecheck decoys his laziness/ lack of stamina.

He stays in the high slot while his linemates hound the puck.. except that his horrendous positioning prevents him from ever getting the puck. 

Wake up Jake. 

Don't fool yourself thinking you are still our blue chip prospect. 

Play hard with urgency, learn the game and work your way up.  

Be truthful to your weaknesses and play like a true 4th liner and maybe you will get more ice time in which you could possibly develop other aspects of your game and move up.

Dude, say what you really think. ::D