The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

3 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

And then Toews there is talking empirical evidence, when neither of those guys have done anything in the playoffs either.

I never made the claim that either of them are playoff performers. 

3 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

I know you didn't actually mention those 2 in your post, but everyone paying attention knows the armchair GM in you, won't allow you to let go of the 2014 draft.

That literally made zero sense. I am never the one to steer the conversation in the direction of Nylander and Ehlers. I have made my peace with our pick and come to the conclusion that it wasn't the best choice that we could have made but I plan on supporting Jake and not hold it against him  There are some who continue trying to justify why not only was he the right choice but that he was the only choice for that spot and they come up with increasingly farcical reasons why. I am not clairvoyant unlike some here :rolleyes:, hence I rely on empirical evidence to support the conclusions I form. Show me evidence of Jake producing big moments to lead his team in crunch time then I will admit that he has that in him. 

Bo had a whopping 16 goals in 21 games in the playoffs and was the best player on a team that won the OHL championship. Brock lead his team to a national title and had a goal and three assists as a freshman. Show me when Jake has ever been the go-to guy on any team. He has been invisible to me in every big game I have ever seen him play. Does this mean that he will never be a playoff performer? No, but he has to prove it by actually doing before people anoint him another label which he is thoroughly undeserving of.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Alflives said:

Jake will be in our top nine.  He will be a ver effective player for us, especially in the playoffs.  He’s a bigger, more talented, and more skilled Janik Hansen.  That’s a heck of an important piece.  Seeing how bad both Nylander and Ehlers have been in the playoffs, I’m glad we have Jake.  

Matthews has 1 point and is a -4 vs Nylanders 1 point an -2. Both are worse than Virtanen, am I right? Total trash players, wouldn't trade them for a broken skate. 

But on a serious note, I'm counting on Jake to have a big summer. If he doesn't put up 40pts by 22, then I guess we expected too much out of him. 

Edited by suitup
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kloubek said:

So you are saying you think he is 2nd line material?  Hes been placed with 2nd line guys.... Sedins.  Bo and Baer.  I think he has been given opportunities to excel as it is, and the kid is only showing flashes still of finding the net.

I think he needs to boost his shooting accuracy and watch tons and tons of film to see how plays develop for both his own offensive attack but to anticipate defensively as well.

He has the raw tools.  Always has. But imo, his lack of success so far is on him.

Yes, I think he sure is.   Sedins were a horrible match for him - they played at an entirely different pace but you could see flashes.   Give him 20 straight games with a Horvat or similar and you will see some of those things you are after start to emerge is my opinion.   

Totally agree this is on him but I also think, per several other posts, that he is the type of player who excels when put with better players.   

10 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

It was a shot at the people who constantly preach patience for our guys but are quick to shut that narrative down when it comes to players on other teams.  That was my point

Sooo is anybody going to call out Robb for blatantly lying AGAIN on this forum or am I just gonna have to sit here and take a bunch of crap from 5 different posters, like usual?  

Yup, everything i say is a lie just to bother you.   It is my only reason for living.  

Are you for real?   Short of holding your hand and taking you to the same places I go and see the same things, you either have to accept that some people have different experiences than you do or you can sit there and continue to be whatever it is you are - a grumpy old guy (gal?) who seemingly hates anyone messing with the narrative you have created around certain players.

Holy $&!#-taki mushrooms guys, chill. Jake is what he is, a developing player who has shown consistent (yet somewhat slow) development, He might become something or not, but none of us can know what he will become. JB And TL know this and will be patient. Let’s wait and see.

7 minutes ago, CaptKirk888 said:

Holy $&!#-taki mushrooms guys, chill. Jake is what he is, a developing player who has shown consistent (yet somewhat slow) development, He might become something or not, but none of us can know what he will become. JB And TL know this and will be patient. Let’s wait and see.

Jake had 10 goals this past season, i think he can get at least 15 this coming season, if not get close to 20 goals. 20 points this past season, with Green building more consistency to his game, defensively Jake is there already in the NHL game, his offense I think will come eventually. He's got the hands, and has admitted publicly that's going to be priority number one this off-season, which I am excited for. If he can contribute 15-20 goals this upcoming season, and secure 35-40 points, I think that's a huge win for his development. He would 23, and that's good progression, imo. He may never be a 100 point player in the NHL, but I think most of us are fine with that now (or have to be). If he can be a consistent, during his prime years, to be a 45-55 point player, I'd be tremendously happy about that. 20-25 goals, and 20-25 assists? Not too shabby. If he outgrows that, and statistically lights it up, that's great! 

Lots of factors, like, his personal development (his hands, reading plays, etc), linemates, and how Green is going to utilize him. I look at Granlund as an example. He scored 19 goals, which means he has the offensive tools to become an offensive player. But Green decided to use him in a different role. SO, if Green sees Jake the same way, then it doesn't matter, players need to be given roles in order to break out and succeed offensively. Another example is William Karlsson with Vegas. He scored 6 goals the previous year, and broke out with 45?? Wow. Maybe all he needed was opportunity, and a more offensive role with a team that took a chance. 

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Jake had 10 goals this past season, i think he can get at least 15 this coming season, if not get close to 20 goals. 20 points this past season, with Green building more consistency to his game, defensively Jake is there already in the NHL game, his offense I think will come eventually. He's got the hands, and has admitted publicly that's going to be priority number one this off-season, which I am excited for. If he can contribute 15-20 goals this upcoming season, and secure 35-40 points, I think that's a huge win for his development. He would 23, and that's good progression, imo. He may never be a 100 point player in the NHL, but I think most of us are fine with that now (or have to be). If he can be a consistent, during his prime years, to be a 45-55 point player, I'd be tremendously happy about that. 20-25 goals, and 20-25 assists? Not too shabby. If he outgrows that, and statistically lights it up, that's great! 

Lots of factors, like, his personal development (his hands, reading plays, etc), linemates, and how Green is going to utilize him. I look at Granlund as an example. He scored 19 goals, which means he has the offensive tools to become an offensive player. But Green decided to use him in a different role. SO, if Green sees Jake the same way, then it doesn't matter, players need to be given roles in order to break out and succeed offensively. Another example is William Karlsson with Vegas. He scored 6 goals the previous year, and broke out with 45?? Wow. Maybe all he needed was opportunity, and a more offensive role with a team that took a chance. 

Lots of words, but yah, tototally agree.

4 hours ago, Toews said:

I never made the claim that either of them are playoff performers. 

That literally made zero sense. I am never the one to steer the conversation in the direction of Nylander and Ehlers. I have made my peace with our pick and come to the conclusion that it wasn't the best choice that we could have made but I plan on supporting Jake and not hold it against him  There are some who continue trying to justify why not only was he the right choice but that he was the only choice for that spot and they come up with increasingly farcical reasons why. I am not clairvoyant unlike some here :rolleyes:, hence I rely on empirical evidence to support the conclusions I form. Show me evidence of Jake producing big moments to lead his team in crunch time then I will admit that he has that in him. 

Bo had a whopping 16 goals in 21 games in the playoffs and was the best player on a team that won the OHL championship. Brock lead his team to a national title and had a goal and three assists as a freshman. Show me when Jake has ever been the go-to guy on any team. He has been invisible to me in every big game I have ever seen him play. Does this mean that he will never be a playoff performer? No, but he has to prove it by actually doing before people anoint him another label which he is thoroughly undeserving of.

Peacemaker. Between Guntrix and the 5th line? You are the 3 worst examples of a Canucks fan. Do you actually consider yourself a fan of this team? <----serious question....

Edited by canuckledraggin

4 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

Peacemaker. Between Guntrix and the 5th line? You are the 3 worst examples of a Canucks fan. Do you actually consider yourself a fan of this team? <----serious question....

I really couldn't care less if I don't meet someone's definition of a fan and that's about as polite as an answer as you are going to get. I tried to explain my rationale to you, but it appears you are more interested in ad hominem. I suggest in the future you address my arguments and refrain from addressing me personally. 

14 minutes ago, Toews said:

I really couldn't care less if I don't meet someone's definition of a fan and that's about as polite as an answer as you are going to get. I tried to explain my rationale to you, but it appears you are more interested in ad hominem. I suggest in the future you address my arguments and refrain from addressing me personally. 

The dumb. It's strong with this one.

4 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

The dumb. It's strong with this one.

I have a niece. She is delightfully adorable and all of four years old. When she gets upset at me, her favourite insult is 'poopyhead'. Why is this relevant to our discussion? Because I would say so far you have displayed about as much intellectual ability as a four year old.

Now I am amenable to change my opinion of you but that would require you to be civil and actually take the effort to refute my arguments.

In any case your feeble insults don't really hurt me, though I would hate to see someone banned or suspended because they couldn't handle a mere opinion.

4 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

Oh wait. I just learned a new word in college this year. Tell me the part where you're a fan of the Canucks again....

Oh look another thing you have in common with my niece, she has trouble with big words too. 

• Haha 1

If Jake ever became a consistent 45 point player id be thrilled and he will be suitable for a strong complimentary 2nd line winger role.

Thats still a far ways from where he is. I love the optimism in here for Jake once you push aside all the juvenile banter... But the fact is that he's a prospect until he's not. He may never reach past that 3rd line level. But I really hope he does.  He seems like a likeable kid and his style of play would be so valuable in our top 6.

I think next season will tell us a lot. 

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

I totally agree.  I see 20 plus goals, and he’s a force physically too.  We already know he’s the fastest player in the league.  

I don't know about that, but Virtanen's a hell of a skater. We already knew that from the beginning.