The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

2 minutes ago, mll said:

Leivo is in the top-6 and on PP1 and he is producing at the same pace as Virtanen - both around 0.36.  

I would say that Leivo has been more consistent in what he brings than Jake. That does illustrate how Jake could find himself on the outside looking in though.  That position should be his with the time and coaching he has received here but instead it goes to a new comer.  

1 minute ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

I would say that Leivo has been more consistent in what he brings than Jake. That does illustrate how Jake could find himself on the outside looking in though.  That position should be his with the time and coaching he has received here but instead it goes to a new comer.  

Neither should be in the top-6 if the team wants to move forward.   Leivo has 2 goals and 2 assists in the past 19 games while playing mostly with Pettersson/Boeser and on PP1 and averaging over 18min a night.  

• Cheers 3

29 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Leivo is more than 3 years older than Jake, and has not produced a single point in his last 5 games, which is perhaps why his ice time has been declining every game in that time period. Jake is much more physical and faster than Leivo, and gets much less skilled linemates, yet still has the same PPG production this year. Which are maybe reasons why Jake's ice time has been increasing every game in the same last 5 games that Leivo's has been decreasing.

I like Leivo and I think that was a great trade to pick him up, but I see no indication that he is more consistent than Jake or is going to leave Jake on the outside looking in. If I had to choose between the two of them, I would for sure keep Jake.

Edited by WeneedLumme
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Jake's value would be in post season,  and we won't see that for maybe a year or two. To hang so much blame on one 22 year old player?

I have other players I'd hang a bag of dirt on first.

Jake's not our savior piece. EP/Boes/Bo those are our key players and they need supporting cast.

Gaudette, Sutter, Roussell, Motte, Lievo, Pearson, Beags all have harder checking  roles in TG system. 

The softer wingers need a overhaul, we need these soft winger guys to do more scoring to help our top 3 forwards. The soft wingers- Goldy-enigma, Granny-enigma, Bears-injuries, Eriksson-miscast, are all bigger question marks than Jake IMHO.

Let's clean up our bigger question marks first. They are all question mark players for various reasons but they don't have what Jake has, especially for the playoffs. And we have time for him to gel into that type of player, maybe even on the PK. We may make one round next year, and two rounds the year after.

The idea that Jake will instantly become more effective in the playoffs is repeated ad nauseum around this forum and should finally be put to rest for the simple fact that it’s not substantive. On the contrary, as others have explained, Jake has shown a decline in performance both in junior and in the AHL in the playoffs. You’re essentially arguing an idea that in fact contains evidence that points to the contrary. 

Let’s wait until we see how Jake performs in the playoffs to come to such a conclusion. 

1 minute ago, guntrix said:

The idea that Jake will instantly become more effective in the playoffs is repeated ad nauseum around this forum and should finally be put to rest for the simple fact that it’s not substantive. On the contrary, as others have explained, Jake has shown a decline in performance both in junior and in the AHL in the playoffs. You’re essentially arguing an idea that in fact contains evidence that points to the contrary. 

Let’s wait until we see how Jake performs in the playoffs to come to such a conclusion. 

When they put the whistles away and let them bang. I think that will be where we'll see his value. He was hitting everything when he arrived but was getting penalties. I think he's learned the refs and how they call it and has adjusted. He's not alone now. We got Biegs, Roussy, Lievo, Pearson all being effective in that style. Yes I can't wait for a 7 game series and see where Jake's at. Look at Kass same mold. 

2 hours ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

I don't know Jake so I can't comment on his level of commitment.  Commitment to fitness doesn't necessarily translate to commitment on the ice however and it seems that is Green's focus with Jake.  With his tools (size, speed, shot) he should be a difference maker and needs to be one on a consistent basis.  Is it a lack of commitment?  A lack of hockey IQ? A kid who is slow to mature and grasp the game?  Who Knows?  The fact is that he is not producing at a level that will keep him in the top 6 and is not consistent and strong enough defensively to be a bottom six shut down guy.    

I really want Jake to make it because he has such incredible tools but there are other kids coming up that will be challenging him soon and he needs to make a leap to the next level if he doesn't want to see others pass him buy. JMHO.

Maybe he’s just not that competitive? Which I think can be separated from commitment to hockey, fitness, etc. Some guys, Crosby and Toews really come to mind, look like they’d run through the boards for a loose puck. Particularly in playoff time. I’ve just never really seen that from Jake, at least from what I can tell by watching him. It’s part of the reason why, after all his accolades and years of success, Sidney Crosby still trains like a nut in the offseason. He’s insanely competitive. Jake seems to lack that extra gear. It’s not to say he isn’t competitive- you don’t get to the NHL without some degree of competitive drive regardless of what physical gifts you possess- but maybe he just lacks that next level. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Gonna call you on this

I have had the privilege of playing with and knowing a lot of pro-athlete, there is a wide degree of commitment by some of them, and have partied with a few, and had conversation with a few. I have heard their opinions on some of their team-mates, and behind closed doors, they exactly like the rest of the world, and whine and bitch, just like everyone else.

I will say this though, I have witnessed some which were very committed, and some not so. Oddly enough, the ones that I have contact with are either very elite, or very fringe, and in both cases, left parties and get togethers very early to either prevent their routines from being disrupted, and or left early to go to their training.

So, yes, I never played pro, but I have played with a few of them...they are diverse and talented. But are human.

PS...……..you do not know who you are talking to on here, so you might keep that in mind.

But keep in mind that Virtanen's problem is between his ears, and everyone sees it. (Everyone!)

You might remember Stephan Richer of the Habs way back. I think he won a CUP with them. Big kid with a wicked shot and speed to burn. Jake kinda reminds me of him. A little detached and could have been more physical. He never developed a physical game but did put the rest together and had a decent career. If Jake can score 25 goals a year with most off the rush he will create space for himself and his team mates. He can intimidate teams with his speed. IMHO he has had a pretty decent season as he was not assured of regular ice time and now logs 15 minutes a game. He should come back next year and score plus 20 goals.    

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Sean Monahan said:

Maybe he’s just not that competitive? Which I think can be separated from commitment to hockey, fitness, etc. Some guys, Crosby and Toews really come to mind, look like they’d run through the boards for a loose puck. Particularly in playoff time. I’ve just never really seen that from Jake, at least from what I can tell by watching him. It’s part of the reason why, after all his accolades and years of success, Sidney Crosby still trains like a nut in the offseason. He’s insanely competitive. Jake seems to lack that extra gear. It’s not to say he isn’t competitive- you don’t get to the NHL without some degree of competitive drive regardless of what physical gifts you possess- but maybe he just lacks that next level. 

I cant disagree with any of this at all. When. Toews loses, he looks like he could bite a trailer in half. He hates losing more than he likes winning and I think that kind of attitude breeds champions.  The other guy is the enemy while the game is being played. You have to want to crush him and beat him.  Too often the canucks seem to be content with nust playing their game and letting the results happen .  Guys like Crosby and toews make results happen .  

• Cheers 1

46 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

I cant disagree with any of this at all. When. Toews loses, he looks like he could bite a trailer in half. He hates losing more than he likes winning and I think that kind of attitude breeds champions.  The other guy is the enemy while the game is being played. You have to want to crush him and beat him.  Too often the canucks seem to be content with nust playing their game and letting the results happen .  Guys like Crosby and toews make results happen .  

Well f*** me. Look at that net drive. 

Edited by Sean Monahan
  • Haha 1

Virtanen drives into 127th in all-time Canuck scoring with his goal tonight.  Hey Garry, you dropped your 129th ranking.

126.  Mike Robitaille D 174 10 50 60
127.  Jake Virtanen RW 207 32 27 59
128.  Zack Kassian RW 171 32 27 59
129.  Dixon Ward LW 103 28 31 59
130.  Garry Valk LW 172 24 35 59
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Virtanen drives into 127th in all-time Canuck scoring with his goal tonight.  Hey Garry, you dropped your 129th ranking.

"Ex-129th-ranked-turned-130th-ranked Garry Valk"

After missing his check on Giordano for Calgary's goal, Virtanen has been making sure to finish his checks and not let anyone by him on the point, did it tonight by crushing Andy Welinski.

Good on Jake for seeing his mistake and correcting it quickly.  The difference between him and Goldy is that when he makes a mistake, he quickly rectifies it and doesn't let it become an issue again.  Goldy you tell him the same problem, yet still gives you the same response like a broken record.  

The difference between a player that is coach-able and the other who is not.

Edited by CRAZY_4_NAZZY
  • Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Boudrias said:

You might remember Stephan Richer of the Habs way back. I think he won a CUP with them. Big kid with a wicked shot and speed to burn. Jake kinda reminds me of him. A little detached and could have been more physical. He never developed a physical game but did put the rest together and had a decent career. If Jake can score 25 goals a year with most off the rush he will create space for himself and his team mates. He can intimidate teams with his speed. IMHO he has had a pretty decent season as he was not assured of regular ice time and now logs 15 minutes a game. He should come back next year and score plus 20 goals.    

Hey Boudrias

I am not going back to look at my exact quote, but I will say that you said how I feel. I do think that "IF" you are a professional hockey player, there should not be excuses given in your behalf …...not that you did....just saying

And, I do not expect Jake to be Tom Wilson, on that Wilson has learned to use his tool box  with conviction...…..I hope Jake does the same thing, as I am in his corner, and hope he reaches his ceiling if only to help the Canucks win...…..

Jake may take until he is 24 to find his inner self, and I am also fine with that, as long as I see conviction and effort....if nothing else happens until then, I will be happy.....

I don' accept apologize on or behalf for Professional athlete's....just like no one accepted mediocre poor efforts , as I grew up...….it does not work that way....you come to work, and you put the best day you can possibly do for that day...…..and it have better be good, or have a darn good reason why not...it is bad the next correct it quickly so it doesn't happen again...……...is it how most exist?...

I am not made at Jake or anything else, I actually feel the same way about all players...……….they get a lot of our earned money to play a game I play for the love of it...….

They don't get to use the same excuses……….period

4 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Looking at Zack Kassian's stats, who achieved the same points in less games - says it all - as we all know what happened to Zack and the same will likely happen to lazy-Jake.  If he manages to stay on the team past July by some miracle, I would call next year his very absolute LAST CHANCE.    He either pulls his socks up and gets his head in the game or get rid of him.  This team cannot afford another 8 years of floaters !  JB should set some limits on mediocrity and set the bar higher.