The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

8 minutes ago, bree2 said:

actually they don't hate Jake, they might not like that he is lazy sometimes, but no one person on here has said they hate Jake,  and you sound like a complete troll for saying  "no wonder they burned their own city down after 2011". 

First off, this topic is FULL of Jake hate. If you can't see that, you are purposely not reading half the posts on here.

Not sure why people are getting so defensive of the morons who couldn't handle a result they didn't like. It did happen. I for one don't want it to happen again because it's something we as Canucks fans have to now live with for the rest of time. Any fan of any other team can hold it over us because it happened and it was pathetic. When I read people losing their marbles over how much they hate Jake, I can only imagine this mindset is what led to that debacle:

Edited by Moose Nuckle

48 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Level of D, sure, but still a LD which we aren't in a need of, so don't see why we need to move a Jake for him for that reason. You draft the BPA regardless of position, but in trades, you're looking to bolster your roster in areas of need.

I'd certainly prefer a right D but we'd hardly be the first team playing left D on the right side. A good player is a good player.

Didn't consider that Urho would no longer be exempt after next season, so will be interesting to see if they protect him along with McAvoy and Carlo.

Yeah there's quite a few good players bound to become eligible over the next season (assuming the is one).

I have no problem moving on from Jake sometime in the future barring an incredible uptick in performance, but right now he has value when considering his performance to cap, which is beneficial if he gives us a "hometown discount" to stay and hopefully continues to improve. I'm not all too urgent to move him.

I wouldn't say I'm urgent. I just see the writing on the wall. We have depth on wing, both in the short term/interim and coming up. And right in the third/sometimes second line slot he plays in. And those kids will do that at even less cap than 'home town discount' Jake.  So that's not a (big) selling point IMO.

It simply makes sense to translate him, and that value, in to other assets if he's not a long term fit here (IMO, he isn't).

Edited by aGENT

On 7/27/2020 at 8:31 AM, aGENT said:

He did get a pretty juicy, organic, heirloom carrot of top 6 time with Pettersson when playing well this season (as well as pp time). If Jake wants more 'carrot', he needs to stop largely only responding to 'stick' and take some added initiative and be more consistent and committed. Committed and hard working Jake gets fresh picked, organic heirloom carrots all day long. Immature, inconsistent Jake gets the stick.

As for this 'Boeser gets a pass' nonsense. Struggling because of injuries and family health issues is always going to get more of a 'pass' from fans, team mates and coaches than struggling because of a lack of commitment. Boeser may have struggled at points but his commitment and 'try' weren't ever in question. I'm not sure how that's remotely a mystery.

Jake package for Soderstrom you say? Yes please!

Unfortunately, with Chayka now gone, that's unlikely to happen :lol:

Not sure why you quoted me and said this, it's literally exactly what I said in the post before.

16 minutes ago, bree2 said:

actually they don't hate Jake, they might not like that he is lazy sometimes, but no one person on here has said they hate Jake,  and you sound like a complete troll for saying  "no wonder they burned their own city down after 2011". 

Well, I for one can’t stand the guy (nothing to do with hockey) and I know others who feel the same. There’s something about him that really rubs some of us the wrong way. I realize I am setting myself up for abuse from at least one of his legion of devotees.

18 minutes ago, Mad Jon said:

Well, I for one can’t stand the guy (nothing to do with hockey) and I know others who feel the same. There’s something about him that really rubs some of us the wrong way. I realize I am setting myself up for abuse from at least one of his legion of devotees.

I appreciate your honesty, being called a liar wasnt ideal lol. Im a lot of things, but I'm not a liar. 

Edited by Moose Nuckle

2 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Is this necessary? Borders on trolling at this point. Disliking Jake and the 2011 riot aren't remotely comparable. Those people in 2011 were not true fans. I may not like some people's opinions of Jake but I wouldn't come close to comparing them to 2011 rioters. Just seems like you're trying to upset people and re-direct them away from the actual topic at hand.

Just saying cooler heads prevail. Losing it results in living with the consequences. People got all mad so I articulated it more clearly. 

• Wat 4

36 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'd certainly prefer a right D but we'd hardly be the first team playing left D on the right side. A good player is a good player.

Yeah there's quite a few good players bound to become eligible over the next season (assuming the is one).

I wouldn't say I'm urgent. I just see the writing on the wall. We have depth on wing, both in the short term/interim and coming up. And right in the third/sometimes second line slot he plays in. And those kids will do that at even less cap than 'home town discount' Jake.  So that's not a (big) selling point IMO.

It simply makes sense to translate him, and that value, in to other assets if he's not a long term fit here (IMO, he isn't).

If Jake can elevate his game on that discount, then you're laughing. If his asking price becomes too high after that, then you sell him while his value is high. Jake provides good value to cap at the moment and I suspect his next contract wouldn't be out of line for a 20 goal scoring 3rd liner with an opportunity to step into a bigger role (assuming Toffoli isn't back). I am comfortable with the idea of moving him as perhaps he's not part of the main core, but it's about selling him at the right time and for the right return.

We may already have to play an LD on the right side as it is. Adding to it creates more problems than it solves. Having Jake be a relatively cheap option potentially in the top 6 is a more beneficial solution to our cap and team.

15 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

If Jake can elevate his game on that discount, then you're laughing. If his asking price becomes too high after that, then you sell him while his value is high. Jake provides good value to cap at the moment and I suspect his next contract wouldn't be out of line for a 20 goal scoring 3rd liner with an opportunity to step into a bigger role (assuming Toffoli isn't back). I am comfortable with the idea of moving him as perhaps he's not part of the main core, but it's about selling him at the right time and for the right return.

We may already have to play an LD on the right side as it is. Adding to it creates more problems than it solves. Having Jake be a relatively cheap option potentially in the top 6 is a more beneficial solution to our cap and team.

And if he can't?

+/- 40 point, middle 6 Jake, on a cheap extension may never have more trade value than next year.

And we can easily survive without him, Toffoli or otherwise with existing personnel. And even cheaper, higher value prospects coming up after that. 

Either route has risks. Neither is inherently right or wrong. Again, either way, I have trouble seeing him here much part next year with Podkolzin, Lind and Hoglander all knocking on the door. Coaches players who are already looking like guys who 'buy in'.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

And if he can't?

+/- 40 point, middle 6 Jake, on a cheap extension may never have more trade value than next year.

And we can easily survive without him, Toffoli or otherwise with existing personnel. And even cheaper, higher value prospects coming up after that. 

Either route has risks. Neither is inherently right or wrong. Again, either way, I have trouble seeing him here much part next year with Podkolzin, Lind and Hoglander all knocking on the door. Coaches players who are already looking like guys who 'buy in'.

I don't see how a 40 point guy is replaced by a door knocker, and I think assuming he maxed his potential at 23 is a pretty wild assumption. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

And if he can't?

He is trending more in the direction of can then can't. Pacing 42 points over a full season with 3rd line minutes with an uptick in PP time.

I agree with trying to assess if he has peaked and making that move before he dips back down. If he signs a one year deal, he's playing to prove himself once again and he may have even more value in the next offseason while still being an RFA. If Jake hadn't been showing signs of improving year after year thus far, then I'd be more concerned about his "buy in".

I'd prefer to have those guys knock down the door first. Until then, go with what you know and especially with assumption that we will be without Toffoli as well. Like I've said before, I have no problem moving him. It's all about timing and the right price. Even if he isn't in the long term plans, I don't see us moving on from him this coming offseason. Will have to circle back to this in the next offseason IMO.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, peaches5 said:

There is no way that Jake Virtanen is landing Dante Fabbro. FIrst off he is 22 years old, 2 years younger than Jake. Second, He is a Dman who is already playing top 4 minutes in the NHL - these guys take awhile to develop. He has a much higher ceiling than Virtanen.  Third he is exempt from the expansion lottery. Therefore, Nashville has no reason to trade him and they also need him... Fourth, They don't need Jake Virtanen. No way Nashville is making this trade unless they are getting a good D prospect back. 

first  he is a d man who had 6 points total this season and was a minus 7, second, i am not the one trying to trade  Jake to Nashville, and third, do you believe Jake is not worth anything?

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, bree2 said:

first  he is a d man who had 6 points total this season and was a minus 7, second, i am not the one trying to trade  Jake to Nashville, and third, do you believe Jake is not worth anything?

So you looked up his stats are decided Virtanen is worth more... You're grasping at straws. There is no way Virtanen is landing a top 4 Dman who’s 22 years old. If you think Virtanen is going to land you a 6th overall pick it isn't going happen. He still is far from complete and has struggled mightily and might not even dress for the upcoming playoff series. You will get a good defensive prospect for him you will not get Fabbro... That would be absolute larceny. 

1 minute ago, peaches5 said:

So you looked up his stats are decided Virtanen is worth more... You're grasping at straws. There is no way Virtanen is landing a top 4 Dman who’s 22 years old. If you think Virtanen is going to land you a 6th overall pick it isn't going happen. He still is far from complete and has struggled mightily and might not even dress for the upcoming playoff series. You will get a good defensive prospect for him you will not get Fabbro... That would be absolute larceny. 

You after realizing we have Jake Virtanen and not Santeri Virtanen:

1827977482_images(1).jpeg.940cf52a7f1f23f168b08a336fb4a730.jpeg

There has been a lot of controversy around Virtanen the past two months, and really since he was drafted. Can't wait for him to prove the haters wrong. 

Edited by NaveJoseph
  • Cheers 3
  • Huggy Bear 1

40 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

yes i looked up his stats and Fabbro  is a top D on Nashville, but is he a top 4 D on other teams? yes he is only 22, but isn't Jake 23?  i think Jake,  if he can  mature mentally, would become an awesome player, but maybe he would benefit playing on a different team away from home, but i am not the expert on this. i just hope the best for Jake! 

12 minutes ago, bree2 said:

yes i looked up his stats and Fabbro  is a top D on Nashville, but is he a top 4 D on other teams? yes he is only 22, but isn't Jake 23?  i think Jake,  if he can  mature mentally, would become an awesome player, but maybe he would benefit playing on a different team away from home, but i am not the expert on this. i just hope the best for Jake! 

Jake is 24 in a few weeks. Fabbro's potential is far greater than Virtanen the fact he is playing an important role at 22 is admirable. Is he a top 4 on every team in the league? No. But he has the potential to be a number 1 dman.. You will not get him for Virtanen, there is too much potential for Fabbro. There is no chance that Nashville even considers trading him.I don't even know how someone came to the conclusion Virtanen is worth Fabbri. 3 dman they can protect and 7 forwards.. They have no issues going forward with the expansion draft. It makes no sense at all. 

1 hour ago, NaveJoseph said:

There has been a lot of controversy around Virtanen the past two months, and really since he was drafted. Can't wait for him to prove the haters wrong. 

Jake is built for the playoffs. Put the whistles away and let Jake bull rush the net.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, theo5789 said:

He is trending more in the direction of can then can't. Pacing 42 points over a full season with 3rd line minutes with an uptick in PP time.

I agree with trying to assess if he has peaked and making that move before he dips back down. If he signs a one year deal, he's playing to prove himself once again and he may have even more value in the next offseason while still being an RFA. If Jake hadn't been showing signs of improving year after year thus far, then I'd be more concerned about his "buy in".

I'd prefer to have those guys knock down the door first. Until then, go with what you know and especially with assumption that we will be without Toffoli as well. Like I've said before, I have no problem moving him. It's all about timing and the right price. Even if he isn't in the long term plans, I don't see us moving on from him this coming offseason. Will have to circle back to this in the next offseason IMO.

there's zero evidence to make us believe that Virtanen won't continue his consistent trend upward.  On top of points, he hits, forechecks, takes pucks away more than he gives them away and makes the most of the mins he gets.  He's a very well rounded player, imo.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1