The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

10 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I can't stand Dhaliwal...I feel like his schtick is trying to be the new Don Cherry and he just comes off as belligerent to me.  It's not working.

I also realize they're glomming on to this because it's "a story" they can drag around like a kid with a dirty blanket.  I just wish they wouldn't.  We have enough controversy from outside sources and we don't need to fuel this beast.  Sure, it's a "talking point" but he's (didn't hear Taylor's take) making Jake out to be "done".  I hope Jake kills it and makes him eat his words and shuts him up like Burr did with McLean.  I actually had to shut him off the other day....it was too much.

Same goes for me with Cybulski. He was saying the olli juolevi experiment is over, time to move on. 

Best not to take Vancouver media seriously. I hope the players know that now.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Neely was traded after 3 seasons. Jake has had 6 seasons under his belt as a Canuck. At some point he's gotta learn but he hasnt

Neely played 3 seasons with the Canucks, Jake has played parts of 5.

34 minutes ago, warrchief said:

Yep, that is why everyone is frustrated and literally what the coaches have been telling him for years.  Every single coach, player, and casual observer of the team know the recipe for success for Virtanen.  Play a power forward game, work hard every night, use your size and speed, drive to the net.  He had that stretch in the middle of the season and he was a dominant almost PPG player.  Unfortunately he bookended it with big stretches of casual, lazy play to start and finish the season where he did zero of those things that made him successful and his production and resulting minutes tanked.

"He has all the tools", "he needs to play like a power forward to make it, he won't get there as a finesse and skill player".  "He needs to put his nose down and work extremely hard obviously".  "He has to face the music as to what sort of player he wants to be and take a path from there".  That is the summary from Hansen.

If Hansen had those natural gifts he would have been a superstar.  

13 minutes ago, gurn said:

Neely played 3 seasons with the Canucks, Jake has played parts of 5.

And Kassian played 3 seasons here. We could sure use what he brings now.

Sure Kassians situation was a little different, but the point is some players take a little longer to mature and find their game.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

And Kassian played 3 seasons here. We could sure use what he brings now.

Sure Kassians situation was a little different, but the point is some players take a little longer to mature and find their game.

Well, Kassian had trouble going clean when he was with us and the Canadiens. I am glad he got clean with him going to Edmonton.

Not saying Jake is like Kassian but I really want Jake to succeed, he had the best mentors ever with the Sedins but he still has issues with immaturity and commitment to the game that he needs to work on. I think next season, he'll need to come in the best shape of his life or that's the final straw.

Edited by warrchief

Jake was having a great year, 18 goals and counting (good for 4 or 5 more at least). No PP time, hussling, filling his lane, how many times guys tried to hit him and bounced off the big Tuna?

How many checks did he finish where guys looked crushed and took Jake's number?

PKPKPK? Why hasn't he been trained on the PK? Shorties galore I tell ya. He's a big player that garners a lot of attention when he's out there.

We always default to safer pedestrian older guys. Finally Jake gets going and he gets shut down. But no, we want the Lady Byng guy who's good in the locker room. 

• Cheers 1

Jake sitting out is a great sign for our team. 

This is what Benning was alluding to in his introductory press conference.

Really good players are going to be fighting to get a spot on the Canucks from now on. 

We have built depth in prospects and NHL'ers.

2 hours ago, Provost said:

Ya, we all know that you are the real insider and that all the coaching staff are wrong and don’t actually know what is going on with their team when they make decisions like sitting Virtanen and playing fringe NHLers in front of 

Tell me more 

921348.jpg.26e51bfaf57776924a2878398ab4dd01.jpg

• Wat 1

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Jake was having a great year, 18 goals and counting (good for 4 or 5 more at least). No PP time, hussling, filling his lane, how many times guys tried to hit him and bounced off the big Tuna?

How many checks did he finish where guys looked crushed and took Jake's number?

PKPKPK? Why hasn't he been trained on the PK? Shorties galore I tell ya. He's a big player that garners a lot of attention when he's out there.

We always default to safer pedestrian older guys. Finally Jake gets going and he gets shut down. But no, we want the Lady Byng guy who's good in the locker room. 

It's hard to say, we do know that Horvat yelled at him during practice. It's up to Jake if he wants to take things seriously, gotta show the coaching staff you care. Petey stayed for an extra hour after practice working on his one timer. I think Jake just need to get his fitness to the level that impresses Green.

2 hours ago, playboi19 said:

Same goes for me with Cybulski. He was saying the olli juolevi experiment is over, time to move on. 

Best not to take Vancouver media seriously. I hope the players know that now.

They report on the sport without much knowledge other than watching it (like we do) or googling it. They are not athletes, they have no practical experience in hockey. Like @debluvscanucks said, Dhaliwal wants to be Don Cherry. Well, he ain't no Cherry. DC played in the AHL for many years with a cup of coffee in the NHL and went on to become a very celebrated coach with bean town, he knows hockey.  The local media are hacks, Nuff said. 

I hope Jake gets dressed at least as the 13th forward for Game 1 against the Wild.  What's the harm?  MacEwen was rewarded for a good camp with the exhibition game.  I suppose Eriksson might be the better option if we're concerned about PKs, but honestly, I'm a bit more concerned about the physical match up with the Wild.

If Green's concern is icing the best line-up, then Jake as the 13th forward allows Green to keep Beagle and Sutter in the 12-man forward unit as backup for Gaudette and for PKs.  Jake can rotate in when needed, or if it's clear they need more speed and size.  I have said before that I really like MacEwen's game, but I don't necessarily think he's a better option than Jake right now unless Jake was really that bad at camp.  A lot was made about Jake being out of shape at the start of the season but he did just fine after.  If it's an issue of shape, then it was overblown then and it's presumably overblown now.  If it's a matter of effort in practice, then obviously that's on Jake, but even then, is it enough to scratch him even as the 13th forward?

Jake seems like exactly the kind of player you want as a 13th forward.  You can ice a safer 12-man line-up but then roll him out in the right situations.  Having Jake roll in and out could also throw off Minnesota's structure since Jake would be a much faster player than whoever he replaces.

3 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

I hope Jake gets dressed at least as the 13th forward for Game 1 against the Wild.  What's the harm?  

I am not sure I am following.  The 13th forward doesn’t dress.

That was a special deal for just the exhibition game.  No spare forwards or D for the actual play on games as far as I am aware.

Just now, Provost said:

I am not sure I am following.  The 13th forward doesn’t dress.

That was a special deal for just the exhibition game.  No spare forwards or D for the actual play on games as far as I am aware.

Sigh, I must have misunderstood that.  Thought it was a COVID measure.  Haven't been paying as much attention to the rule changes :P.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

I hope Jake gets dressed at least as the 13th forward for Game 1 against the Wild.  What's the harm?  MacEwen was rewarded for a good camp with the exhibition game.  I suppose Eriksson might be the better option if we're concerned about PKs, but honestly, I'm a bit more concerned about the physical match up with the Wild.

If Green's concern is icing the best line-up, then Jake as the 13th forward allows Green to keep Beagle and Sutter in the 12-man forward unit as backup for Gaudette and for PKs.  Jake can rotate in when needed, or if it's clear they need more speed and size.  I have said before that I really like MacEwen's game, but I don't necessarily think he's a better option than Jake right now unless Jake was really that bad at camp.  A lot was made about Jake being out of shape at the start of the season but he did just fine after.  If it's an issue of shape, then it was overblown then and it's presumably overblown now.  If it's a matter of effort in practice, then obviously that's on Jake, but even then, is it enough to scratch him even as the 13th forward?

Jake seems like exactly the kind of player you want as a 13th forward.  You can ice a safer 12-man line-up but then roll him out in the right situations.  Having Jake roll in and out could also throw off Minnesota's structure since Jake would be a much faster player than whoever he replaces.

I think the extra roster spots were just for the preseason game, Green thinks Schaller is a far better player so it's a lost cause at this point.

I posted this in the gdt, but probably more relevat here

In Regards to Virtanen, it makes me think of the "relationship advice needed" thread in the off topic forum about a month ago.  The thread creator was lamenting on what to do about a gf who he cared about, but had things he had concerns about.  His course of action was that he was trying to change her behaviour and pesonality and it wasn't working out.  I feel they are doing the same with Jake, they are trying to change who he is as a player instead of letting him be who he is.  You can develop skills and even a work ethic to a degree, but a players personality is who that player is.  He's progressing nicely, putting up better numbers every year and he looks like he'll grow into a solid 25 goal, 50 point player who can hit, skate and steal pucks frm opposing players.  Not every player can fit into the same box, a team is made up of many diffrent personalities.

They either have to stop trying to force Jake into being someone he's not or they have to cut him loose so he can be successful elsewhere.

• Upvote 1