The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

A very complete game by Virtanen. Every Canuck fan should be licking their lips over this kid. His one assist could easily have been 3 with conversions by line mates. His goal was incredibly quick. His speed stands out.

His physical game is very mature for someone his age. His hitting is very calculated as he comes into the hit under control and has what appears to be a very heavy follow through. I suggest his physical game last night was more impressive than his offense which was more than decent. On the defensive side he was the 3rd man high on many shifts. As the game progressed he got more ice which indicates a comfort level from his coach.

Look forward to the Germany game to see how the team is lined up.

• Upvote 1

Great game by Virtanen. I like how he stayed disciplined and calm when he got hit from behind into the boards. He didn't go head hunting or take a stupid penality in retaliation. He took a moment to get up then got right into the play and had a quality scoring chance, then layed a nice hit. That speaks to a level of maturity with his physicality and game. That is often missing with young players and I hope it continues and he matures more so he knows when and how to be physical at the next level. I'm glad Van has this kid.

:picard:

Did you see Nylander's go ahead goal or Ehler's slapper? Why even bring them up when they had equally good games?

Quit trolling, it's a Virtanen thread.

because there were countless people whining about Nylander and Ehlers. In a Virtanen thread. That is why.

Guys I don't think he means to say Virtanen has poor hands (Canorth), or that he hates size (swift4grizz)..

He's just responding to a preposterous post that puts Naslund down for no apparent reason in order to make Virtanen look good. Utter disrespect to the second best goal scorer after Bure to play for the Canucks - if Nazzy misses that 4 out of 5, it's not a stretch to say Jake would too - which the point I think he was trying to make.

Can you blame the guy for defending Nazzy against a post that was clearly either too young for Markus or is a bandwagon from the Sedin era? #19 has three 40-goal seasons and "awesome hands" that were second to only Bure as a Canuck - Jake would be extremely blessed to be in the same class.

Not putting Nazzy down, I am putting Virtanen up with him and second only to Bure for hands for an 18 year old.

Please stop telling people what I mean.

Edit: I wager I am older then you...too young...just keep stating your opinions and stop correcting mine.

Edited by Rollieo Del Fuego

Are you really comparing what you did in Bantam to what JV did on a world stage against the best players his age in the world?

I believe I have heard it all now folks.

Listen, the 11 goals I scored in a game when I was 7 must be that much better than only the 5 Gretzky ever scored in a game at the NHL level. I think I even missed on 9 shots.

Were those 11 goals from a tougher angle, with you off balance and a goalie actually in good position to stop it? Just saying it's a tough shot but I also agree that as much as these players are extremely talented sometimes they try things that just happen to come off but might not if they tried them again.

because there were countless people whining about Nylander and Ehlers. In a Virtanen thread. That is why.

I'm so glad you joined in. Especially right after both were coming off excellent games. Smart move.

Edited by elvis15
  • Upvote 2

Were those 11 goals from a tougher angle, with you off balance and a goalie actually in good position to stop it? Just saying it's a tough shot but I also agree that as much as these players are extremely talented sometimes they try things that just happen to come off but might not if they tried them again.

I'm so glad you joined in. Especially right after both were coming off excellent games. Smart move.

I wouldn't be surprised if the goal you thought you scored has been exaggerated over the years with no cameras available. Just stop comparing your goal to the amazing goal JV scored yesterday at full speed on camera. You are looking very sad to those on CDC trying to compare the two.

Elvis Elvis Elvis :picard:

• Upvote 1

EDIT: For those who just want to see the goal, the play starts at about 12:45.

...and nailed a guy (nearly) over the boards a few seconds earlier on the same shift.

beast. Needs to work on defensive side of game in order to make the Canucks. Much like Shinkaruk

As does nearly every junior player... especially those barely 18.

His physical game is very mature for someone his age. His hitting is very calculated as he comes into the hit under control and has what appears to be a very heavy follow through.

Yeah, that's what I've been impressed with. Typically most guys who have hitting as a big part of their game are either out looking for the opportunity (running around) or waiting for the opportunity. Jake simply has it as part of his game. If he and another guy are going to the boards for the puck, the other guy often ends up on his butt. He doesn't go out of his way to make hits, and he never seems off-balance nor throws himself off-balance nor takes himself out of the play. Pretty important too when considering the propensity for injury when playing physical. He's not even the biggest guy, but must be quite strong, especially for his age.

Plays tough but seems clean and disciplined at it, doesn't hit to injure, and doesn't seem to let emotions lead to retaliation -- at least not in the games I've seen. Just like on that one play where he got checked from behind. He didn't play it up worse than it was, didn't squawk at the ref, just picked himself off the ice and got right back at it with a scoring chance and another clean hit. Sweet stuff.

If your head gets any bigger it would probably explode

Hope they smarten up and swap Ritchie or Lazar with Jake. McDavid/Virtanen combo would be pretty lethal

• Upvote 1

One of the best hitters I've seen recently, he explodes through guys.

Imagine him hitting someone at his full speed.... JB knew what he was doing.

Like I said earlier in the year, I think he will force his 9 games next year and maybe even stick.

His speed and physicality is off the charts. We have enough defensive players to cover him while he improves his defensive game.

• Upvote 1

One of the best hitters I've seen recently, he explodes through guys.

Imagine him hitting someone at his full speed.... JB knew what he was doing.

Like I said earlier in the year, I think he will force his 9 games next year and maybe even stick.

His speed and physicality is off the charts. We have enough defensive players to cover him while he improves his defensive game.

With Kassian, Jensen, Vey and Burrows fighting for that spot, it seems unlikely

Not putting Nazzy down, I am putting Virtanen up with him and second only to Bure for hands for an 18 year old.

Please stop telling people what I mean.

Edit: I wager I am older then you...too young...just keep stating your opinions and stop correcting mine.

Ok sure :P