The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

I disagree. I can remember a number of times he managed to use his speed to back check and uses his strong body to get between the puck handler and the puck.In fact, in many occurrences, he made it look almost too easy. I found his defensive play to be good. Not fantastic, but definitely solid

I agree,

I also notice more than a few times, where he was actually behind his own net to try and recuperate the puck. Also sometimes he ended covering his opposite wings.

So i completely disagree with buzzsaw saying he only waits to break out of the zone and not helping....if we can pick on him for his defensive play, would be that he was all over the place trying to do the others' job instead of being positionnally sound. That's fairly easy to learn, comes with maturity and experience.

Edited by timberz21

Lot's of people were saying that Ritchie had a better tournament than Virtanen and I couldn't disagree more.

Just on points alone, Ritchie had 1 goal in 7 games and played 3 games with McDavid. If any plays died, it was on Gauthier and Ritchie's stick.

I don't like the argument that he's the "3rd youngest player on the team and therefor should get a write off" is valid because he's played just as much hockey as the next guy in his birth year. Aside from player born from October-December, I feel like age is but a number at that point, really doesn't hold much.

I disagree. I can remember a number of times he managed to use his speed to back check and uses his strong body to get between the puck handler and the puck.In fact, in many occurrences, he made it look almost too easy. I found his defensive play to be good. Not fantastic, but definitely solid

as did I. for every "see that play where he did something i think might have been wrong" there were a number of plays that he did everything right that people couldn't complain about if they tried.

as for the penalty, clean hit, got the kid in the chest/shoulder, drove him along the boards, not into them, definitely not boarding. he left his feet but it looked like it was post-contact (though i haven't seen a screenshot of the moment of contact), so even charging was out the window on the play. definitely was not a penalty in north american hockey.

Edit: just qued it up and went frame by frame on my dvr, he definately made contact before his feet left the ice. really crappy call.

Lot's of people were saying that Ritchie had a better tournament than Virtanen and I couldn't disagree more.

Just on points alone, Ritchie had 1 goal in 7 games and played 3 games with McDavid. If any plays died, it was on Gauthier and Ritchie's stick.

I don't like the argument that he's the "3rd youngest player on the team and therefor should get a write off" is valid because he's played just as much hockey as the next guy in his birth year. Aside from player born from October-December, I feel like age is but a number at that point, really doesn't hold much.

him being younger definitely matters as far as physical and mental maturity. these kids are still growing/learning, him being the youngest kid on the ice that has already gone through the draft means something, doesn't mean it's a write off, but he's only one month away from being 2015 draft eligible instead of 2014 draft eligible. it makes what he did even more impressive.

Edited by avelanch

I actually didn't think it was a bad game for Jake, not saying he didn't do anything wrong because he did, but all in all not bad.

Not to make excuses for Jake or his linemates, who were rather ineffective, but if you watch at about 4:50, him and I think Braydon Point are 2 feet away from each other throughout their entire O-zone possession. Already been pointed out but his back check, or lack thereof, can be attributed to the 3rd Russian goal.

Another thing I noticed is that for someone so big and strong (obvious by his massive hits throughout the tournament) he seems to be rather weak on the puck. A lot of his rushes into the zone seemed to end in him being stripped and the Russians heading back the other way. However, with that being said, when he would enter the zone and maintain possession, particularly when he drove wide, he looked rather dangerous, and had the Russian D chasing him (Petan chance, 4:45). If he could do that on a more consistent basis he's going to be very effective.

He never seems to bend at the legs when battling on the boards and stands tall. Makes it easy for guys to push him off the puck

Guest Dasein

Hmmm, not sure if Jensen, Shinkaruk and Gaunce are going to be better defensively than Virtanen going forward. Jensen's consistency and battle isn't there, Shinkaruk will likely never be known for his defense, and Gaunce still needs to pick up his speed and consistency.

With Virtanen I just see a player who won't need seasoning in the minors. The size, skills and strength are already there, he just needs to be told where to go and what to do and he'll do it. But this is just my opinion.

Fair enough. I think that, if not defense, it'll be his overall game. Jake floats around A LOT - something you just can't do in the NHL. The AHL three I mentioned are working to fix that or have fixed it. I wouldn't underestimate how much they all have developed under Travis Green in Utica in a full AHL season.. they are all further ahead than Jake IMO.

I'd rather sign Johansen to a nice UFA deal in a few years once the twins retire and their cap comes off the books.

Can we not become that fanbase that banks on hometown superstars coming back as our saviours like the Leafs (ex, Stamkos coming home/Tavares coming home etc) :P

Another thing I noticed is that for someone so big and strong (obvious by his massive hits throughout the tournament) he seems to be rather weak on the puck. A lot of his rushes into the zone seemed to end in him being stripped and the Russians heading back the other way.

I think this is what many people found to be frustrating to watch - he coasted and flew by a lot instead of engaging and getting his nose dirty. I thought he improved a lot in this regard in the gold medal game though compared the games leading up to it.

Ya the 3rd youngest thing is weak sauce for sure. Lawson Crouse was the youngest of them all and he was trusted on the PK and the final minutes of a 5-4 gold medal game.

Ritchie was probably the worst in this tournament. I don't think anyone would be serious in saying Ritchie did better... would just ignore them if they are.

Edited by Dasein

I like Virtanen and believe that hell be a valuable player for this franchise for years to come. Hes a middle 6 player for sure though, and I suspect that hell get moved around the lineup during his NHL tenure in similar fashion to how he was deployed for team Canada. Wouldve liked to see him accrue some more PP time and get a chance to unleash his onetimer, but there were better options for Canada.

Still the issue for our prospect group is lack of cant miss top 6 F and top 4 Dmen. We're chalked full of sure fire bottom 6 grinders whichll help the team to remain deep and competitive, but imo the jury is out on whether the likes of Horvat, Kassian, Jensen, and Shinkaruk will ever be able to take on a significant scoring role at the NHL level. That has to be concerning for management as the Sedins tenure comes to an end. Free agency is always an option as theres bound to be cap space available without any allstar scorers to retain. At this point Id gamble on moving a package including any of Kassian, Vey, Jensen, Shinkaruk, and Gaunce along with Higgins, Burrows, and Bonino if there was a deal that could land us a cant miss top line center prospect thats ready to take on that role.

Theres imo enough depth prospects with Virtanen, Horvat, McCann, Cassels whom may very well evolve into very effective 2nd liners, but teams without a bonafied top line are nary to compete for the prize.

This is the nature of the NHL. There are very few high end offensive players and lots of "pretty good" players. But there are very few trades out there that will give up a "can't miss" high end player for any number of journeymen type players.

Except in rare cases, the only reliable way to get high-end talent is through the draft and, even then, it takes a few years before you really know what you've got. Last year the Canucks passed up two guys who could turn out to be legitimate high-end first liners (Nylander and Ehlers) but who could end up like Schroeder or Ebbet. They took Virtanen instead who is at least a can't miss NHL player, although possibly only a third-liner.

Some high end players can be obtained through free agency, but often teams overpay which limits their ability to provide surrounding talent.

Solid game by virtannen. Better then his previous 2 showings. Saw some solid back checking from him. Looking good, not sure what the hate is, his missing training camp hurt his development, since development camp and training camp, one of he excercise is puck possession, which is the ovjective,is to hang on to the puck as long as possible, and various puck possession/ protection exercises.

Love his physical play, bouncing players off of him love it.

Will expect more points out if him from 1 year today

Can we not become that fanbase that banks on hometown superstars coming back as our saviours like the Leafs (ex, Stamkos coming home/Tavares coming home etc) :P

I'm just a fan of the kid who clearly loves his hometown and may be a touch disgruntled with his current employer after their recent contract disagreement and his reaching UFA status fits very nicely with our upcoming core/retiring Sedins.

I'm hardly banking on it but it sure is a nice story line that's up to this point written itself fairly well....just saying.

Fair enough. I think that, if not defense, it'll be his overall game. Jake floats around A LOT - something you just can't do in the NHL. The AHL three I mentioned are working to fix that or have fixed it. I wouldn't underestimate how much they all have developed under Travis Green in Utica in a full AHL season.. they are all further ahead than Jake IMO.

He seems to float a bit more in some games and be an impact guy in others. The game he had against the USA was outstanding. Frankly it looked more like the coach telling him where to be and what to do.

Maybe those other guys are further along in their personal development, but I kinda don't see what that has to do with Virtanen. Horvat jumped guys as well.

Guest Dasein

I'm just a fan of the kid who clearly loves his hometown and may be a touch disgruntled with his current employer after their recent contract disagreement and his reaching UFA status fits very nicely with our upcoming core/retiring Sedins.

I'm hardly banking on it but it sure is a nice story line that's up to this point written itself fairly well....just saying.

I get that he may be dissatisfied with CBJ after the contract dispute but I was wondering where you're basing that he clearly loves his hometown? Just curious is all.

Guest Dasein

He seems to float a bit more in some games and be an impact guy in others. The game he had against the USA was outstanding. Frankly it looked more like the coach telling him where to be and what to do.

Maybe those other guys are further along in their personal development, but I kinda don't see what that has to do with Virtanen. Horvat jumped guys as well.

Or the guy is showing his age and flat out had an inconsistent tournament - highly doubt any coach "instructs" a player to coast/float and look bad..

Horvat jumped no one really.. last cut last training camp and so he came in as the #1 center prospect this training camp. The three I mentioned all play on the wing in Utica so Jake is facing a log jam that never presented itself for Bo.

Edited by Dasein
  • Upvote 1

I get that he may be dissatisfied with CBJ after the contract dispute but I was wondering where you're basing that he clearly loves his hometown? Just curious is all.

Not sure I'd be able to find you any links/quotes but he still calls Van home in the off season, hosts a hockey camp here etc and has interviewed (paraphrasing) how much he enjoys his home town. It's not much of a stretch that he'd entertain playing here if given an opportunity/choice.

Or the guy is showing his age and flat out had an inconsistent tournament - highly doubt any coach "instructs" a player to coast/float and look bad..

Horvat jumped no one really.. last cut last training camp and so he came in as the #1 center prospect this training camp. The three I mentioned all play on the wing in Utica so Jake is facing a log jam that never presented itself for Bo.

"Stay up high." ???

I think Virtanen is certainly capable of jumping those players in Utica, just like Bo jumped Gaunce and Vey, but time will tell.

Ferraro on Virtanen (paraphrasing):

"skates up and down, strong, physical, runs over guys, pro-level shot, but not a creative player. Not going to play the give-and-go, just wants to run through guys"

On his projection as a top 6

"too early to close a chapter on a guy who is only 18, but see him as, at this point, a 2nd-3rd line tweener"

I'm fine with this assessment.

• Upvote 1

These WJC is the first time I've watched Virtanen so it was very educational for me. And from my vantage point I'd have to say there has to be a few alarm bells ringing. On the positive side there was also talk about drafting Nick Ritchie and he was worse. I didn't watch a lot of the Swedes games but I wasn't that impressed by Nyalnder...a lot of individual play ...Elers put up comparible numbers to Virtanen. The guy that caught my eyes was Barbashev I think he was drafted by the Blues in the second round. The Russian captain undrafted Nikita Cherepanov looked OK too

Edited by Fred65

These WJC is the first time I've watched Virtanen so it was very educational for me. And from my vantage point I'd have to say there has to be a few alarm bells ringing. On the positive side there was also talk about drafting Nick Ritchie and he was worse. I didn't watch a lot of the Swedes games but I wasn't that impressed by Nyalnder...a lot of individual play ...Elers put up comparible numbers to Virtanen. The guy that caught my eyes was Barbashev I think he was drafted by the Blues in the second round. The Russian captain undrafted Nikita Cherepanov looked OK too

teams are no longer wasting on draft picks on players that will spend their living in the KHL. that is why a lot of them are not drafted. It's a waste of draft pick. We took a huge risk with Tryamkin with a 3rd round.

"too early to close a chapter on a guy who is only 18, but see him as, at this point, a 2nd-3rd line tweener"

as expected. I was never expecting him to be anything more then a second line player. LOL

"Tweener" wtf.

I never got why people questioned his hockey iq until I watched him this tournament.

He seemed to be lost more then any other player in both zones and his vision is pretty average. He really needs to work on his passing also, barely any of them were crisp or tape to tape.

I'm still obviously excited about him though and think he will definitely be a top 6 player.

I think he will peak at 50-60 points and be a physical force in the NHL. Will probably be one of the best hitters in the NHL once he fills out.

• Upvote 1