The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Settle down... it was a joke, however lame it might have been. it was your first ever post and it was pretty negative and ill informed.

Jakes disaster of season includes a WJ Championship and a promotion from the fourth to the second line in his 3rd ever pro game, that being in the middle of a deep playoff run...

Agreed, WJ Gold was nice but he did not play much of a role-similar to Gauthier from the Leafs. Mostly a grinding/checking role.

He scored 45 goals in his draft year. I expected honestly 55-60 this year, and I do not buy the whole Shoulder surgery thing. Galchenyuk and Rielly both came off worse injuries than Jake and managed to have amazing post-draft development years. I hope he works on it in the offseason. Maybe he has a Horvat-type transition to the NHL, but he will need to show more next. At some point production needs to become a factor with Virtanen- he needs to score or else he will fall back on just his speed and hitting.

It has been well documented that Virtanen has all the tools to become an elite talent, but needs to put it all together. He has not shown any progress so far, that is the part that concerns me.

Edited by CanucksFanTillDeath1995

Is anyone here else disappointing with Jake? This season has been nothing short of a disaster for him, everywhere he goes he fails to produce. 1 point in 8 games is just unacceptable with the tools he has.

I really doubt at this point he will turn into anything more than an elite 3rd liner, I just don't see the superstardom in him. Hope he turns it around, but at this point you would have to be wearing some rose-coloured glasses to not see how disappointing he has been.

It's good for the fans to lower their expectations for our prospects.

This isn't a race, it's a work in progress.

That's why Detroit keeps their prospects on the farm for a couple years and then start them slowly in the NHL.

• Upvote 1

Agreed, WJ Gold was nice but he did not play much of a role-similar to Gauthier from the Leafs. Mostly a grinding/checking role.

He scored 45 goals in his draft year. I expected honestly 55-60 this year, and I do not buy the whole Shoulder surgery thing. Galchenyuk and Rielly both came off worse injuries than Jake and managed to have amazing post-draft development years. I hope he works on it in the offseason. Maybe he has a Horvat-type transition to the NHL, but he will need to show more next. At some point production needs to become a factor with Virtanen- he needs to score or else he will fall back on just his speed and hitting.

It has been well documented that Virtanen has all the tools to become an elite talent, but needs to put it all together. He has not shown any progress so far, that is the part that concerns me.

The shoulder is the most complicated joint in the body. That being said, no two injuries/surgeries are the same. The fact that he was able to come back from it so soon and make team Canada over a player like MDC is a massive feat in its self.

As for his lack of progression - fourth line to second line in 3rd ever pro game in the midst of a deep playoff run. Or just see what Travis Green has to say about him.

• Upvote 1

Whether you "buy the whole shoulder surgery thing" or not has no bearing on Jake's growth and development. We'll know next year how much a factor it was if Jake returns to or exceeds his draft year form.

Ovechkin is one of the greatest goalscorers in the history of this sport and the second best player of his generation, behind Crosby. Virtanen has about as much of a chance at becoming the next Ovechkin as I have at becoming the next prime minister.

Let's say Virtanen's chance of becoming as good as Ovechkin is p > 0, because he is at least going to be in the NHL and be given a chance and your chance of becoming a prime minister is obviously 0 and since the ratio of p : 0 = p/0 = infinity, he has infinitely better chance to become the next Ovi than you becoming the next PM.

If Jake is 1/2 as good as Iginla we've got a solid pick.

Yep, I'd say we all would be very happy if Virtanen becomes a 300 goal scorer.

Edited by khay

No troll. Hope Jake pans out, would love to see a Sven-Horvat-Virtanen line in the future, but I doubt Jake reaches that level. For a 6th overall pick in the draft, he has underwhelmed.

18 year old thrown onto a new team in the middle of a cup run. Green seems to love what he brings considering Jake is moving up the lineup quite quickly. Nothing to be disappointed with.

The guy who says he doesn't buy the shoulder injury thing is both a troll and has never had a shoulder injury.

Jake is doing things at the AHL level that no one in our organization has ever done. Running through guys. He was told going in, don't hurt us in our zone and play tough on the boards.

He has done exactly what has been asked of him. If there was an issue with his play, he would not be starting on the second line of the ahl championship series.

He will be fine.

• Upvote 3

Your logic is so flawed. Not every player takes the same path into the NHL, so there is no reason to compare with unlikely counterparts. Jake has taken strides in his defensive game, which is far important to his success at this time of his career.

Also, do you have any idea how he was treated this year in Calgary? I would be interested to hear if you actually know anything about his last season, other than pulling up his HockeyDB page.

If he can continue playing a gritty, fast, hard back checking game, he will see himself in the NHL very soon.

Horvat scored 5 points in his first 19 games, 3 of those were assists in one game, all while having an impact on the game regardless of scoring. We are lucky to have coaches that are willing to develop our players from the roots up.

Is anyone here else disappointing with Jake? This season has been nothing short of a disaster for him, everywhere he goes he fails to produce. 1 point in 8 games is just unacceptable with the tools he has.

I really doubt at this point he will turn into anything more than an elite 3rd liner, I just don't see the superstardom in him. Hope he turns it around, but at this point you would have to be wearing some rose-coloured glasses to not see how disappointing he has been.

Bo scored 0 pts in 5 games on the Comets team. Geesh lighten up would ya
  • Upvote 2

Virtanen is playing a bottom 6 forechecking / grinding role. HE IS NOT EXPECTED TO SCORE POINTS.

THIS IS HIS FIRST TASTE OF PRO HOCKEY JESUS CHRIST HE IS THERE FOR THE EXPERIANCE NOT TO BE SCORING A GOAL PER GAME LIKE SOME OF YOU EXPECT FOR SOME REASON

Go find a gf or something.

Go get a job.

I really doubt at this point he will turn into anything more than an elite 3rd liner, I just don't see the superstardom in him. Hope he turns it around, but

at this point you would have to be wearing some rose-coloured glasses to not see how disappointing he has been.

Last time I checked, he's still 18 years old. Let's give it some time before labelling him a disappointment Edited by sonoman

Virtanen is playing a bottom 6 forechecking / grinding role. HE IS NOT EXPECTED TO SCORE POINTS.

THIS IS HIS FIRST TASTE OF PRO HOCKEY JESUS CHRIST HE IS THERE FOR THE EXPERIANCE NOT TO BE SCORING A GOAL PER GAME LIKE SOME OF YOU EXPECT FOR SOME REASON

I was under the impression he was playing with Baertschi and Friesen, was it only the last game?

How in the world is that trolling?

Are we supposed to praise every player that is ever in the Canucks organization? I am a fan of every prospect in the system bar Virtanen. He was drafted too high at the time, with Ehlers and Nylander on the board, and has shown nothing to live up to his draft status.

Instead of throwing out a dumb insult, why don;t you reply with an intelligent response?

You must be new. It's okay, with time you'll learn that pessimism is forbidden in this place. All must be happy go lucky in Candyland here. Even if there's reason not to be.

• Upvote 1

I was under the impression he was playing with Baertschi and Friesen, was it only the last game?

Barzal is right and Logic in wrong. Virtanen has been playing on the second line with Baertchi and Friesen for 3 or 4 games. He was promoted from the 4th line because he was playing well and he stayed in the line-up even when Acton came back -- relegating Jensen to the press box. This is all good.

But this discussion about Virtanen has taken place before. He has excellent skills -- great skater, great shot, big, strong, aggressive. So why isn't he scoring more? I will say "hockey IQ" even though I will likely get flamed for it.

But here are some positives:

1. From seeing what I have of the games Virtanen is unlucky not to have at least one or two more points.

2. His defensive play has improved a lot this year -- to the point where Travis Green trusts him in a playoff run. And Green is a very defensive coach. That is saying a lot. He was not even expected to play in the Utica playoff run.

3. At age 18 he will of course improve a lot over the next few years.

4. Let's not forget that Horvat played 5 games in Utica without scoring a point. Like Horvat, Virtanen has been playing a defence-first, low mistake game.

It is possible that Virtanen ends up "only" as a very good 3rd-liner. But he looks more likely to be a solid 2nd line power forward. And that would be a good outcome for a #6 overall pick. And there is a still good chance he ends up as legitimate first liner.